PDA

View Full Version : Feel like my partners therapist. Can anyone relate?

Walkingonglass
26-08-18, 13:12
Hi.. my partner has GAD. He’s a very vocal person and also very anxious and worried person. The smallest decision needs to be discussed.. and he is always worried about things that can go wrong.

Sometimes I feel like I’m his therapist.. and he’s mentioned that too. He tells me absolutely everything and I’m his safe person.

Is it bad to feel like you’re your partner therapist? Has anyone else who has a partner with GAD found that they feel that way?

Or does anyone work gad/anxiety have any thoughts or experiences?

The reason I ask is that I don’t want it to be detrimental on our relationship...

Thank you x

Suziewuzie
26-08-18, 13:27
I WAS your partner with my ex. It was really important to me that he understood how I felt because I didn't ever want him to think the way I was feeling or acting was because of him. He really made my life a lot easier during my rough patches, but these weren't constant - the majority of the time anxiety didn't really play a part in our relationship. It sounds like he's really lucky to have you, and likewise you're lucky that he feels able to express his feelings so freely.
Do you feel like it's putting a strain on you? Or is it making you feel differently toward him? It can be hard to be that 'safe' person. I don't think my ex had any problems with me doing it, he certainly never told me if he did, but I would have totally understood if he had x

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

I should add - now that we're no longer together and my anxiety has flared up, I am finding it incredibly difficult without having my safe person to run to. I am still tempted to call him when I'm struggling which isn't good. I'm not suggesting you ever will break up, but I think it would be really good for him if he could share the burden with someone else too. You're not his therapist, you're his partner, and whilst it's great that he is sharing with you he may benefit from sharing a little less with you and maybe sharing the rest with a professional or even a close friend or family member.