PDA

View Full Version : How do you tame the HA beast re: kiddos?

travelgirl77
27-08-18, 17:18
I have had horrible HA ever since I was diagnosed with high BP during my first pregnancy, but it ramped way up after the birth of my second child. Most of the time the HA is about me and 9 times out of 10 it has been cancer that worries me. Recently, however, I have started down the dark path of HA towards my kids. If they complain of anything, I automatically stop eating and start obsessing over what deadly disease it is, rather than thinking it is just a virus. Last week my youngest said flippantly that her eye felt dizzy, which spiraled me out of control as a local girl had recently died from an always fatal brain tumor (DIPG-don't look it up). I hounded her day in and day out about her symptoms...to the point she was so angry with me. She had a well-child visit, her vision was checked, and the doctor kind of brushed it off. She never said anything about it after that first time, other than answering my questions about it and never felt dizzy herself. But, I put it all down to her having this cancer...like it cannot be anything else. I read all of these stories, which were so horrible, and now every morning I wake up with a huge pit in my stomach, thinking I will witness a new change in her today or the school will call that she is sick, and we will get the diagnosis.

I want to believe it is anxiety, but then I had doctors wrong about other things. I want to believe it is anxiety, but what if my intuition is right? Neither of my kids have any symptoms right now, but I am in constant anticipation of the deadly symptoms leading to diagnosis. Like I am on the edge of a cliff, staring into the abyss, and waiting to fall in. Additionally, I am pissed at myself because I do not want to project this on them, which I am sure I have done. I want them to be able to tell me they feel ill without going crazy.

And, just to give some insight, my husband called today and he said, "Man, just wait until we have to start paying for our DD's braces." And, the first thing out of my mouth was, "I hope she lives long enough to get the braces." He was not pleased.

How on earth do you control this? I am worried that if I do not remain vigilant, I will miss something. I cannot imagine a lifetime of checking their vision, asking about their tummies and heads, and any pains they may have, but I also cannot imagine a lifetime of wondering if I had just been more proactive.....Help!

travelgirl77
28-08-18, 14:21
Bump. I could really use some advice here.

ankietyjoe
28-08-18, 14:37
First of all stop reading stories and checking google. You cannot beat HA if you keep doing that, there is no chance.

Second of all, practice not worrying and checking.

HA isn't complicated, and it's mostly habitual.

You have to choose NOT to do the things that are creating the problems that aren't really there.

hazelbritt
28-08-18, 16:02
I have a lot of anxiety over my kids too. When they were babies, I worried every single night about SIDS.
They had chickenpox last week - the first spot to appear was on her scalp and I noticed it when she was up in the night and I was cuddling her. First thought was cancer!! Obviously that was not true.
I worry when they go out with their grandparents that they will run into the road, or that they will get into a car accident.
I guess I don't have much advise, but just wanted to say that I understand.
It sounds like things have got a bit out of hand with this brain cancer fear - perhaps time to seek some professional support?

Scass
28-08-18, 20:29
I worry a lot too. My friend rang earlier, and her daughter (who we were with all day yesterday) is poorly. So now I’m high alert worrying about my own.
I also worry that I’ll need to miss work to look after her, and that work will deal with it badly, then I’ll catch it...

I manage to rein myself in from “what if” thinking quite well. But my anxiety gets quite bad when she is actually ill. I *think* that is probably fairly natural though.

It sounds like it’s taking over a bit, so you probably need to start putting some self-therapy into place. Have you done any before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk