PDA

View Full Version : ALS or Health Anxiety?

jordanjersey1995
27-08-18, 23:03
Hey everyone,

First of all, I'm new here - but am a serious sufferer of anxiety so expect to see me around often! I've read some of the posts and the care and attention you all give each other is so warming and shows what a great community you all are on this site, something I hope to be able to add to. :)

About my symptoms, basically for the past year and a half I have been suffering with constant muscle 'twitches' or movements (when you look, it looks like one small area of the muscle tenses in a slip second, sometimes just once, sometimes in a fast repeated pattern) - these twitches occur 24/7, from the moment of waking up till falling asleep, 10's of times a minute, all day every day. I OF COURSE consulted Dr. Google when I first noticed these, which told me that what I was feeling are called 'fasculations' and that I'm dying of ALS.

After this, I visited my GP who listened to my symptoms, and examined the tone of my muscles and also my reflexes (hammer to the knee). His conclusion was that I wasn't actually suffering from fasculations, but instead from muscle 'jerks' - something I may have for life, or may find disappear when I become less anxious. This comforted me for a few months, but then I became re-focused on them, and convinced myself once again that these are symptoms of ALS. I visited my GP once again (about a year apart from the first visit) - again, he examined my muscles, performed the hammer test again and concluded that these are jerks, and that true fasculations appear as 'worms crawling under the skin' and not what I am suffering from (I even showed him a video of my twitches to see what he thinks), so this comforted me once again. He gave me beta-blockers to curb the anxiety and hopefully the twitches, but they didn't work on me.

He has since recommend I see a Psychiatrist as the anxiety is consuming my everyday life.

When doing Yoga, or holding a squat position my legs shake tremendously instantly, not when they begin to get tired. I also find that I'm on my phone with my arm not resting against anything, sometimes it will shake to hold it up. However, I was just in Oslo, walking miles every day, rowing boats, kicking a football about, all without trouble. The logical part of my brain is saying that, if I had been suffering with ALS for over 1 and a half years, I'd of struggled to do these activities.

I would also say, that the twitches do become excessively worse when I'm anxious and focusing on them, they also seem to get worse after consuming caffeine. (I have stopped having caffeine for months now). And they definitely reduce massively when having a hot bath. My flexibility has really suffered though, I can not touch my toes - not even close, and I feel very tense in all of my muscles (knots everywhere!). Maybe the twitches are caused by tight muscles caused by years of stress and anxiety? Am I being silly to keep thinking I'm dying of ALS?

What do you guys think? I'm twitching like mad right now!

BazB44
27-08-18, 23:13
oh my, the worst rabbit hole in the world to fall into. Ive been a hypochondriac for 20 years, and this is by far the worst one to get into. Its been 2 years for me since my rabbit hole started, and I'm still a mess at times. Today I feel fine, but the past few weeks ive been a mess.

All I can offer to help is that twitching seems to be the most popular anxiety symptom there is. I know for a fact that I had twitching 5 years ago, I just never paid attention to them. I didn't care, until I googled lol.

With twitching, from what I understand, there is no difference in the kind of twitches. Ive been on BFS pages and it seems that slow or fast, bubbles or butterflies, crawling....all that doesn't matter. Ive come across people who say they've been twitching for 20 years, 5 years in the same spot non-stop, or people saying head to toe 24/7. I feel for those people because honestly, I don't twitch much....only when I'm highly anxious.

Don't google, don't read articles, don't watch videos anywhere. All it will do is feed the fire. 5 years ago I had an MS fear, man I wish I could go back to that one lol.

hazelbritt
28-08-18, 08:37
I've had twitching since I was quite young but was already struggling with health anxiety. I think I must have been 11 or 12 (I'm 31 now). At the time, I thought I was getting Parkinson's disease because I had seen something on TV about Michael J Fox (this was before Google, or else I probably would have found out about ALS). Eventually I got the courage to tell my parent's my fear and they informed me that what I was describing was just muscle twitches and nothing to worry about. Thankfully I believe them and it hasn't been a source of worry since than time, but I will say that I do get them still. So 20 years of twitching and I haven't died from ALS. You are fine, and I think you know that deep down.

paranoid-viking
28-08-18, 08:46
Health anxiety.

Ryzinn
28-08-18, 09:22
Google Benign Fasciculation syndrome or BFS for short.

ALS is about failing, not feeling. You're not failing (in dramatic fashion anyway) so relax. The sooner you stop worrying about it, the sooner it'll pass.

nomorepanic
28-08-18, 11:23
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071

nomorepanic
28-08-18, 17:25
There is a sticky post titled "ALS and why you DON'T have it". Please read it.
I already posted the link to it

Andrash
28-08-18, 17:50
I already posted the link to it

Oh ok. I will delete.

MagpieWitch
28-08-18, 20:02
A friend of my mother's developed a disease similar to ALS I am not sure of the scientific name (man is in his 50s)
And I know that for him the symptoms were so obvious they rendered him unable to function. I am not talking about my arm feels weak kinda thing, I'm saying he can't move out of bed one day and he trips from nothing because his foot doesn't work.
Those are real symptoms.
Twitching also comes in late with any muscle/nerve disorder, after the muscle is already mostly dead as the brain's lasts attempts to establish some kind of a connection. The twitches HA sufferers get are purely from anxiety, I one had the thumb on my right hand twitch for 2 weeks without stopping and then it went away.
Don't worry about ALS!!

Dave_Lister
28-08-18, 20:13
Twitching does not come before muscle weakness, and when I say muscle weakness I mean not feeling like you are weaker in your body, I mean like you literally cannot lift your coffee cup to your mouth.

Twitching is a very common symptom of anxiety. I get twitches in my finger and thumb all the time. You do not have ALS

TylerB
31-08-18, 19:46
I’ve had twitches all over (literally every muscle you can think of) for over a year. Surprise surprise it all started after I read about ALS...I’ve been struggling with it ever since. But logically I know it’s just anxiety. As I’m writing this my left glut just twitched and so did my abdomen. Twitches in ALS only occur after significant weakness and atrophy. You’d know for sure by now.