PDA

View Full Version : My rabies story and worry from a raccoon

Deepseathree
28-08-18, 19:33
To start I know what I did was dumb so no need to chastise unless you want.
Basically we’ve had a raccoon around the house for months. Hadn’t really seen him, but we had some trash on a trailer and he would constantly get in it and I eventually cleaned that area up. Then the raccoon started coming around the back porch because I would just throw trash bags there to get them out of the house. Well my fiancé started putting food out there when she’d see him at night. He was timid at first and then warmed up. For some damn reason last week I decided to feed it. It came up and took food out of my hand with its mouth quickly. It didn’t bite me or break the skin but I felt the saliva on my thumb. I washed my hands. The worry comes from me having a small old cut on my thumb. I don’t even think it was a cut, seems more like an area that had a splint as there’s is no scab or discoloration. You see where this is going. I can’t decip if it was an open wound or not and if the saliva got in there. Well the worry just increased until last night I went and got rabies shots. Doctors said it seemed low risk and they were pushing the shots on me. But we decided it was best. Here’s my worries laid out in pros and cons

Pros-
Raccoon didn’t have any symptoms of rabies and hasn’t had any since. Only reason he’s around the house is because of the trash that was previously there and we think he lives under the deck. Plus the raccoon is only coming out at night.
I got a rabies vaccine.
I can’t confirm if the area was even an open wound. It just looks like an area where a splinter was. Which wouldn’t have broke the skin to the level of bleeding.

Cons-
I got the rabies vaccination about 7 days after the raccoon incident and I can’t exscape the thought it might be too late.
I’ve read raccoons can have rabies and not present any symptoms right away.
My stomach is awfully bad and I don’t want to eat at all and it hurts. I’m not going to read rabies symptoms as I have but have forgotten them, so I’m relating that to rabies.

I’m sure there are other pros and cons but that’s the gist of it. Sorry to add to the other rabies posts. I wanted to write this to get it off my chest.

MagpieWitch
28-08-18, 19:55
Symptoms of rabies wouldn't manifest that fast trust me, so your stomach is definitely 100% not rabies.
Also your doctor said that it's low risk and you got the shots after insisting, so generally if you didn't insist you wouldn't be given the shots. That's because you were not at risk at all.
And most of all, if the raccoon is alive and around, then it was not rabid!
I have rabies fear currently so if you need someone to talk to, feel free to DM me!!

hazelbritt
28-08-18, 20:03
Symptoms of rabies wouldn't manifest that fast trust me, so your stomach is definitely 100% not rabies.
Also your doctor said that it's low risk and you got the shots after insisting, so generally if you didn't insist you wouldn't be given the shots. That's because you were not at risk at all.
I have rabies fear currently so if you need someone to talk to, feel free to DM me!!

MagpieWitch, you need to go through this step by step rational thought process with your own fear of rabies. Your risk is probably even lower as it was a kitten, not a wild animal.

OP - I'm sure you are in the clear too :)

Deepseathree
28-08-18, 20:07
The problem is I have read where symptoms can start as early as 5-9 days. I wasn’t planning on getting the shots until after talking with the doctors. They weren’t going to tell me no, but they said I was low risk. Also I’ve read that raccoons can have rabies with no symptoms.

MagpieWitch
28-08-18, 20:12
No symptoms doesn't mean the animal isn't sick and won't die though, it means it doesn't have clear symptoms that are recognizable by us.
Also all doctors must give you shots because it's technically on them if something happens.
My father's friend was bitten by a stray dog on the leg (bitten, stray and a dog) and the doctor wrote down rabies shots but she told him that she personally wouldn't take them. And he didn't. And he is fine.
Trust me, you got nothing to fear. That raccoon was neither rabid nor it gave you rabies through unbroken skin. You need to have the saliva in contact with an open wound. Not even a closed wound.

Deepseathree
28-08-18, 20:31
Well that’s one thing that worries me is that it can not show symptoms and still have it. So the raccoon outside of our house could have rabies and we not know it. Also I don’t know where the stomach problems would be coming from. It was yesterday and today. If it was just today I would attribute it to the shots. I could catch the raccoon and take him in, but that’s not fair to have it killed to check for rabies just because I decided to feed something and am now having trouble with anxiety from it.

MagpieWitch
28-08-18, 20:46
You are experiencing the same kind of guilt I feel (Why did I touch the cat)
But that's a very classic HA thing.
Your stomach could hurt from 100 reasons not related to rabies.
And also the raccoon would die in a week when it gets sick. Even if it shows no symptoms. If the virus is in the saliva it means it was in the brain and the animal is sick. You know how even with normal flu viruses we shed it during the sick phase even if some of us will just have a little runny nose and some won't be able to get out of bed.
You can monitor the raccoon if you want, see if she comes around and how long. And you will see she will stick around for weeks.
(also most asymptomatic cases are lab induced, that's important to note)

Fishmanpa
28-08-18, 20:56
You can list pros and cons etc. but the reality is...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7TKHluf42s3st6qA/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

Deepseathree
28-08-18, 23:12
It would be fine if I could remeber even if my wound was open or not. Or if was ever opened enough in the first place for it to have bled. After this incident I’ll probably be starting back on Prozac and some other forms of treatment as exercise and yoga aren’t enough again. I could try and catch the raccoon tonight but I don’t know if it’s worth it to have it killed.

paranoid-viking
28-08-18, 23:20
Read this:
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

before you start another rabies thread. PLEASE! Besides; what medical expertise do you really think those of us posting here has that doctors, veteranarians and experts does not have about rabies? Tell me that. They allready told you the facts so what do you want from us posting here? A second opinion?
The only thing I can say is read that sticky thread and then follow up with the question you probably dont want to here but which is the only reasanoble and valid question here and it goes like this:

*silence*

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TOO TREAT YOUR HEALTH ANXIETY?

No further questions.

AMomentofClarity
28-08-18, 23:20
It would be fine if I could remeber even if my wound was open or not. Or if was ever opened enough in the first place for it to have bled. After this incident I’ll probably be starting back on Prozac and some other forms of treatment as exercise and yoga aren’t enough again. I could try and catch the raccoon tonight but I don’t know if it’s worth it to have it killed.

If you catch it, you’re going to be right back on here tomorrow wondering if you got rabies from that “exposure.” If i were you, I’d probably just leave the raccoon alone and move on.

paranoid-viking
28-08-18, 23:22

What I dont understand is why people whose allready been reassured by doctors and even experts on rabies come here and ask the same questions to people here as if WE were experts? I dont get it. I mean; seriously; if docs and experts can not convince them how on earth do they think WE; a bunch of hypocondriacs can do it?:lac:

NervUs
28-08-18, 23:22
Didn't you say you got the shots? Why would you need to test it? Or spend any energy on this?

I mean, I get it. You have HA and think you'll get rabies even thought you got the pep. But, stop thoughts of catching the raccoon in their tracks.

paranoid-viking
28-08-18, 23:25
The problem is I have read where symptoms can start as early as 5-9 days. I wasn’t planning on getting the shots until after talking with the doctors. They weren’t going to tell me no, but they said I was low risk. Also I’ve read that raccoons can have rabies with no symptoms.

I have read....I have...read....you have GOOGLED. Thats what you have been doing. Stop that and seek help for your anxiety. And please read the sticky threads before you start rabies thread number one million in here.

---------- Post added at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

You can list pros and cons etc. but the reality is...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7TKHluf42s3st6qA/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

I know I shoud not say it but I am getting tired of all the rabies threads now. And I think it is disrespectful that they keep ignoring the briliant sticky thread the admins created here. What a wasted effort that must have bee,

NervUs
28-08-18, 23:34
I know I shoud not say it but I am getting tired of all the rabies threads now. And I think it is disrespectful that they keep ignoring the briliant sticky thread the admins created here. What a wasted effort that must have bee,

If it helps someone, it's not wasted. But, it's not going to help everyone.
Most rabies fearers have googled rabies out the wazz and know everything there is to know and more (:emot-wave:).HA is not cured with rational explanations. It requires a lot more than that in most cases, and the board should be available to everyone.

MagpieWitch
28-08-18, 23:38
What I dont understand is why people whose allready been reassured by doctors and even experts on rabies come here and ask the same questions to people here as if WE were experts? I dont get it. I mean; seriously; if docs and experts can not convince them how on earth do they think WE; a bunch of hypocondriacs can do it?:lac:

For myself I can say because I think that doctors overlook and aren't right etc etc while here we are all a little scared which makes us more precautious. Or something. But it's a support forum, I can tell people reassuring sentences here as long as they need them, not sure if its a good thing.

Fishmanpa
29-08-18, 01:24
But it's a support forum, I can tell people reassuring sentences here as long as they need them, not sure if its a good thing.

Just my opinion. The name of the forum is "No More Panic". You can replace the word "Panic" with any other manifestation and mental illness on the forum and the message is the same. A support forum that helps point you in the direction so that you have "No More ______".

Reassurance is a band aid over a gaping wound and while it may slow the flow of mental blood down, it doesn't stop it nor will it ever. The key is real life help. I've often equated this fear and others to someone claiming the sky is green when it's without a doubt blue. In order to defeat the dragon, you have to challenge the dragon. Think of real life professional help like learning karate. There will always be challenges, but a black belt kicks more dragon ass than a white belt looking for tea and sympathy.

It's your life and the quality thereof that's at stake! I actually have/had some of the illnesses you fear. I had/have no choice but to fight and treat them and all the real physical and unpleasant side effects that go with them. That includes the psychological effects as well. You're in a unique position in that you have just the mental aspects to fight. I don't question your symptoms as the mind is incredibly powerful, but I do question why you allow them to be something that's impossible :shrug:

I say again... If you can, get real life help. It can be the difference between living or existing.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-18, 01:55

But isn't that the nature of the disorders? If people weren't following the expected patterns of mental health disorders wouldn't that be a bit odd?

There are a whole load of stickies above and yet no one is complaining about all those threads that have been dominating the forum for years. Some people are adding to that sticky and look at the lack of responses they get. That's what happens as threads get large, people don't bother reading them. Besides, when you are reassurance seeking you look to maximise the returns to complete your compulsions.

It's not disrespectful to Admin, unless you regard everybody disrespectful for raising threads that have been covered for over a decade?

I think you are right to challenge how things are done on here as it's aimed at improving the site. But it also needs to work for more than one theme. There are drwbacks to merging everything on one thread but then there are advantages to it too since there is so much information there. But which is the better way? I don't know.

---------- Post added at 01:45 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Think about it for a minute. You are considering killing a creature just because you think you may have rabies? Don't you have laws over there against that?

What if the issue is all in your head? And a creature has been killed for that and potentially a test that comes back it never ever had anything?

---------- Post added at 01:48 ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 ----------

If it helps someone, it's not wasted. But, it's not going to help everyone.
Most rabies fearers have googled rabies out the wazz and know everything there is to know and more (:emot-wave:).HA is not cured with rational explanations. It requires a lot more than that in most cases, and the board should be available to everyone.

Exactly. Admin have put that there to highlight it but in reality many people will have looked far deeper into it and know all that anyway.

Anxiety disorders are based on irrational thinking. If they weren't, none of us would even be here. CBT tries to use logic but you don't just get a statistic and find your core beliefs about fears change from that, it takes lots of repetition. And it's like that for a very good reason in our evolution.

Removing fears takes longer than creating them. That's because it's not expecting to do it as evolution added it to protect us from threats that would remain threats.

---------- Post added at 01:52 ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 ----------

After endless complaints about repetitive posters, and arguments resulting from them, Admin created this thread in 2016 informing members what to do and what not to do:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=182032

If a thread is not to your liking, click off it. Yet Admin keep getting people complaining in threads and it causes them work. That's disrespectful, but it won't change and I'm sure they have resigned themselves to that...

That doesn't mean to say I am viewing what you said as disrespectful either but since that thread was created people have continued to ignore that request. Anxiety can mean emotions are running high and we struggle with patience, been there & done that myself, but when people continually raise it perhaps it's worth remembering Admin's stance on this?

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

For myself I can say because I think that doctors overlook and aren't right etc etc while here we are all a little scared which makes us more precautious. Or something. But it's a support forum, I can tell people reassuring sentences here as long as they need them, not sure if its a good thing.

Yes, they make mistakes. In these cases doctors are often working from what you say and what they ask. Without testing, they cannot be as certain of anything.

But we have to try to trust them. That doesn't mean you never question what a doctor says and there are many good examples of patients, and loved ones, doing this in success. But how many doctors get it right over & over everyday of the week?

Reassurance seeking is a compulsive activity that only reinforces obsessions. That's medical fact. But like everything it's about balance, you don't have to avoid reassurance forever as that's also abnormal and we all do it. It's about what's normal and not a symptom of a disorder.