PDA

View Full Version : Leukaemia fear... someone tell me that I'm being irrational

hazelbritt
28-08-18, 19:59
Seeing the doctor tomorrow for blood work results and I am freaking myself out thinking that I could have leukaemia.

Symptoms are:

low grade (37.1-37.5) fever for 3.5 weeks.
Body aches, mostly in hands and feet.
Feeling slightly weak or like I am losing dexterity in my hands
Possible lump or swollen gland in my neck

I haven't googled since discovering that low grade fever can be a sign of lymphoma or leukaemia, so I have no idea if any of these other symptoms mean anything or not.

lucymarie
28-08-18, 20:06
Seeing the doctor tomorrow for blood work results and I am freaking myself out thinking that I could have leukaemia.

Symptoms are:

low grade (37.1-37.5) fever for 3.5 weeks.
Body aches, mostly in hands and feet.
Feeling slightly weak or like I am losing dexterity in my hands
Possible lump or swollen gland in my neck

I haven't googled since discovering that low grade fever can be a sign of lymphoma or leukaemia, so I have no idea if any of these other symptoms mean anything or not.

You are being irrational. :hugs:

Scass
28-08-18, 20:21
You are being irrational x

(P.s I wouldn’t even consider that a fever - anything over 37.5 is a fever)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hazelbritt
28-08-18, 21:51
Thanks guys. Now I just need to believe it for myself....

hazelbritt
29-08-18, 10:25
Going to the doctor now. Feeling very anxious!!

hazelbritt
29-08-18, 17:08
Well, my blood work is perfect. They did 25 tests and everything was in the normal range. The doctor mainly discussed anxiety with me. He said he isn't concerned about the stuff I have been worried about, and thinks the symptoms are down to anxiety and being hyper sensitive to normal bodily sensations. I'm still feeling a bit worried though. I feel don't feel very well :(

nomorepanic
29-08-18, 17:20
Are they going to help with the anxiety though?

AMomentofClarity
29-08-18, 17:30
Well, my blood work is perfect. They did 25 tests and everything was in the normal range. The doctor mainly discussed anxiety with me. He said he isn't concerned about the stuff I have been worried about, and thinks the symptoms are down to anxiety and being hyper sensitive to normal bodily sensations. I'm still feeling a bit worried though. I feel don't feel very well :(

Blood tests don’t lie. You have to believe your doctor. Are you doing anything for your anxiety?

hazelbritt
29-08-18, 17:47
I have been referred for an online therapist who will be working with me to use CBT to treat the anxiety. I'm feeling good about making steps forward to address this

AnxietyGirl30
29-08-18, 18:09
I would be very happy with what the blood tests came back with! Get therapy and get your life back!

hazelbritt
29-08-18, 19:18
I feel like I am beginning to have a game plan to address the anxiety, but I'm not sure how to help myself with these symptoms and physically feeling unwell. I think I may make some diet changes and try to lose some weight and see of that has any positive effect...

AMomentofClarity
29-08-18, 19:29
I feel like I am beginning to have a game plan to address the anxiety, but I'm not sure how to help myself with these symptoms and physically feeling unwell. I think I may make some diet changes and try to lose some weight and see of that has any positive effect...

For me personally, exercise is/has been huge for helping with HA. First of all, you’re releasing all that built up tension, second you know you’re doing what you can to stay healthy and prevent illness, and 3rd anytime you’re active you’re not dwelling on body sensations. It’s a win all around.

hazelbritt
30-08-18, 11:09
Yes, exercise would be a good thing as well I'm sure. I am about 100 lbs overweight, so rigorous exercise can be difficult for me. I will start by incorporating more walking into my day.

lofwyr
30-08-18, 16:20
It is not all that often talked about around here, but anxiety can and absolutely does raise your body temperature, and can even bump you into the "low grade fever" category.

As your body gets ready to "fight or flight" it powers up your metabolism. Your adrenal glands get your heart revved up, everything gets ready to do what we are programmed biologically to do. All of that can and does often raise our body temperature.

If you happen to fixate on it, and make that the source of your anxiety instead of the woolly mammoth or cave bear, then your body doesn't ramp back down, and you stay at that fight or flight level, now with a new and improved higher body temp because of an increased metabolic rate.

Take some comfort from the blood work, and face the anxiety cave bear and hopefully get the help you need there.

hazelbritt
31-08-18, 09:46
It is not all that often talked about around here, but anxiety can and absolutely does raise your body temperature, and can even bump you into the "low grade fever" category.

As your body gets ready to "fight or flight" it powers up your metabolism. Your adrenal glands get your heart revved up, everything gets ready to do what we are programmed biologically to do. All of that can and does often raise our body temperature.

If you happen to fixate on it, and make that the source of your anxiety instead of the woolly mammoth or cave bear, then your body doesn't ramp back down, and you stay at that fight or flight level, now with a new and improved higher body temp because of an increased metabolic rate.

Take some comfort from the blood work, and face the anxiety cave bear and hopefully get the help you need there.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thank you so much for sharing. That helps me to understand a bit more what could be going on here. My doctor felt that the temperature range I was within was in the normal range and wasn't concerned. I've decided to stop taking my temperature all the time and trust that my body will tell me if I really am fevered.

pulisa
31-08-18, 13:18
Good for you, hazelbritt. Constantly taking your temperature will just keep you in the HA mindset. Your bloods were fine, you don't have leukaemia and putting a check on this constant monitoring and maybe starting to walk/ exercise a bit more will help you to get physically and mentally fitter.