PDA

View Full Version : Advice to keep BP during clinic appointment

LF87
29-08-18, 11:28
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips? The last two times I've been to get my contraceptive pill my BP had sky rocketed and they've refused to give them. So I've ended up having a wasted trip to the clinic and had to make a proper GP appointment where she has given me them after retesting BP a few times and helping me stay calm. So I know I don't have high BP but can't get it under control in these environments.

Thanks in advance

Weasley123
29-08-18, 20:16
I wish I could help I’m in the same boat. I never had high bp in fact it was low until I developed ha. Then I got one borderline high reading, I was nervous and since then the top number is usually in the 150s and I’m sure it could be higher. The bottom number was normal. I can’t test st home as just the machine panics me and I obsess. However usually my pattern was high then lower with repeat testing. Luckily my gynecologist knows about my ha and panic and has always given me the pills.

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-18, 02:35
Advice from the nurses at my surgery:

- Sit upright and not constricted in any way.
- don't wear clothing that can constrict your breathing along with the above.
- Sit with feet/legs uncrossed.
- Breathe normally (not sure what that is for we anxiety sufferers, myself :winks:)
- Remain silent during the reading. Talking increases BP.
- If you walked there first, try to have some time to sit & relax. Exercise will push your BP up. They prefer you not to have done any within 30 minutes of your appointment.

What helped me bring mine down between readings:

- Focus on an object. Just a point on the wall will do.
- Now breathe slow and evenly as you look at the object. Focus on breathing in and blowing out.

My BP was high on the first reading and that brought it down on various appointments. Since I was diagnosed with Hypertension from a routine over 40's health check they have taking my BP quite a bit and this has helped to reduce it even after a brisk walk to the surgery right before the appointment.

Just tell them anything you need to. They understand how anxiety impacts on BP. White coat syndrome is a problem for many without anxiety. It doesn't really bother me, although when I was really ill just going near a surgery set me off like going near a supermarket would, so I can get things under control but be honest because they are used it.

My mum has this trouble when she has hers done and she doesn't have anxiety. The response from the senior practice nurse was that they factor it in as they are so used to it.

Try not to have a rushed time getting there. Try to make a space to sit and calm down first.

Carnation
30-08-18, 11:10
That's exactly right about the hypertension Terry.
I was 165 with the GP, then took it on the self service machine in the waiting room and it had dropped to 135 in 5 minutes!!!
If you can get a reading from a self service machine and present it to your GP, it might help your case. :)

Weasley123
30-08-18, 12:57
That's exactly right about the hypertension Terry.
I was 165 with the GP, then took it on the self service machine in the waiting room and it had dropped to 135 in 5 minutes!!!
If you can get a reading from a self service machine and present it to your GP, it might help your case. :)

Unfortunately some like me panic even at self service thr minute I see a machine I feel my pulse raise and my panic set in. Usually mind starts sky high then drops to the 130s or 120s on repeated readings. I hate having if done. I know it’s panic but I’m powerless to stop it

Shadowhawk
30-08-18, 13:10
Unfortunately some like me panic even at self service thr minute I see a machine I feel my pulse raise and my panic set in. Usually mind starts sky high then drops to the 130s or 120s on repeated readings. I hate having if done. I know it’s panic but I’m powerless to stop it

I am exactly the same way. My first several readings can be 150-140, but if i can actually be patient and relax, i can get it to 130's. Now, i am dealing (or at least being treated for) genuine hypertension (thank you sleep apnea), but i know my anxiety spikes my pressure EVERY time i read (doubly so at the doctors office...)

LF87
31-08-18, 18:10
Thanks so much for these replies. So mine rocketed to a crazy 198/100. She agreed to give me three months worth of pills but said I had to go to GP and monitor at home! So I bought one and did it later that night, 127/80 and today 134/85. I googled and apparently that's still not ideal, but not classed as high... Yet. Is that a bad BP!? I'm 31, normal bmi. I do probably drink a little too much wine which needs to be addressed and I'm not training like I usually do which might have affected me?

I'll remember these tips for next time! Honestly can't believe it went that high, she looked shocked!

Munchlet
31-08-18, 18:27
So years ago I had this problem. My reflexologist told me to hold each finger on one hand for a minute or two and each finger represented something.

This sounds crazy but bear with me! The thumb represents worry, index finger fear, middle finger anxiety, ring finger stress and pinkie tension. She said by holding each finger for a minute or two it's how you get rid of worry fast and reduce anxiety.

I don't know why but to this day if I'm sat in the Dr's or anxious about anything I use this technique and it seems to help. I don't know if it's because you are focusing on something else and taking your mind off it but it really helps me and really helped my white coat hypertension as my GP used to call it.

Give it a shot and see what you think!