PDA

View Full Version : Does anxiety make your reflux worse?

Nighttime pacer
29-08-18, 20:10
Hi all,
I'm still struggling with thoughts of cancer of the oesophagus even though I know it's unlikely at my age (44) and also I drink moderately, don't smoke and am only a few pounds overweight.
The thing I've noticed is my reflux seems to be worse when I'm anxious. The problem is I can't work out if anxiety is actually making my reflux worse or just making me think it's worse. Also, I do wonder if it was anxiety which caused it in the first place though from what I've read online that doesn't seem to be thought possible.
I'm slightly concerned as I'm going on holiday next week and keep thinking I should get another endoscopy done as my last one was 5 years ago.
The crazy thing is, before this recent HA flare up, all I could think about was how much I was looking forward to the holiday and now all I can think about is reflux!
Thanks for reading this rambling nonsense.
Nighttime pacer

Fishmanpa
29-08-18, 20:20
Does anxiety make your reflux worse?

Yes!

Positive thoughts

comeandgo
30-08-18, 04:15
I don't know if mine gets worse OR I fixate on it more when I'm in a period of anxiety. But for sure I think about it more!

paranoid-viking
30-08-18, 05:36
Does anxiety make your reflux worse?

Yes!

Positive thoughts

Do you have acid reflux, Fishmanpa?

Scass
30-08-18, 06:30
Yes it does make it worse. They are quite closely linked, I’ve done a load of research in it this year.

You may be having a flare up, do you take anything for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
30-08-18, 12:47
Do you have acid reflux, Fishmanpa?

Both my wife and I have it, take a PPI and follow the FODMAP diet (90% of the time ;)). I rarely have an issue but my wife's kicks up a lot more. We keep a couple bottles of antacid around for breakthrough reflux.

Lately, due to increased stress at work, mine has been kicking up and when she was in the hospital, it was bad and I had all sorts of stress related symptoms. Difference is, I knew exactly what it was.

Positive thoughts

Archaga
30-08-18, 16:02
Food is a bigger culprit. I dont know if I have GERD, but lately ive been eating lots of acid foods like tomatoes, blueberries, onions and its been bad. Throat, stomach, burning, voice, everything.

As for stress, i dont think theres any symptom stress cant cause

lofwyr
30-08-18, 16:13
I am diagnosed with GERD, but actually have my doubts. It really ONLY kicks in when I am anxious. I don't give it any thought, just pop an antacid and carry on. Most foods don't have much of an effect on it.

Now, the south end is a different story. Food and anxiety play hell with me digestively speaking in the other direction.

ErinKC
30-08-18, 16:49
100% yes. I'm almost certain I gave myself mild gastritis purely from anxiety last month. I don't even have reflux normally, only when I have anxiety. And, it was so bad I could hardly eat anything and had to stop drinking coffee for a week. It didn't clear up until my anxiety was gone.

paranoid-viking
31-08-18, 09:37
Both my wife and I have it, take a PPI and follow the FODMAP diet (90% of the time ;)). I rarely have an issue but my wife's kicks up a lot more. We keep a couple bottles of antacid around for breakthrough reflux.

Lately, due to increased stress at work, mine has been kicking up and when she was in the hospital, it was bad and I had all sorts of stress related symptoms. Difference is, I knew exactly what it was.

Positive thoughts

The FODMAP diet ois great. I have had acid reflux from, perhaps 20 years or so and it only get worse. In times of stress and anxiety; not just health anxiety but all anxieties; yeah I feel it. The stomach feels sour and foul.

TylerB
31-08-18, 19:22
When I was first struggling with health anxiety I had pretty bad GERD. It was painful off and on for about 8 months. I’m still as anxious about health but my GERD mostly dissapeared. I used gaviscon for a few months semi regularly and that seemed to have kicked it. I think it all started from anxiety. Now I have other symptoms to occupy my mind :/