PDA

View Full Version : My fear of superbugs is returning in the form of a strange sore

actualWeeaboo
30-08-18, 13:55
After a fearmongering news story about superbugs a year or two back, I have been deadset terrified.

But I had a bright-ish red lump appear on my leg, sort of under/near the crook of my right knee over a week ago, and a few days later, I accidentally saw it again when I was showering - it had turned into a darker, more irregular shaped lump with a large slightly-cratered black head/middle. It's also been so itchy all around it, and occasionally sore. And the skin has been coming off around the head/middle a bit. Today, I took a picture for reference and I swear it shows a yellow tinge around the outside of the sore.

I freaked out slightly, because I originally wrote it off as an odd bug bite (despite the fact that I always wear long pants and sit cross-legged at my computer) or another one of the annoying virus-type lumps I get regularly on my skin, that I might've just bumped... But I honestly have no idea what it originally was, which makes me feel so much worse.

I keep trying to tell myself that it could have been one of those things, but after it started leaking and bleeding a few days ago, I made a doctors appointment. Went yesterday and she gave me an antibiotic cream saying it might be just a little bit infected if it's been leaking, and I've been using it.

But I'm still panicking that it's something more sinister. I've had another red spot appear in the same knee crook, over one of the prominent veins there - though it's almost like 3 red spots in a 5mm circle - and I've been itchy all over for days. I've also been noticing some tiny spots on my feet and chest (both raised and flat) that I keep associating with this sore.

I hate when my health anxiety returns like this, and as much as I never want to ever take myself to the ER, these days it gets more and more tempting. I struggle with the idea of that, because my social anxiety makes me terrified of going and looking stupid and wasting their time.