PDA

View Full Version : Tiny lump on calf muscle

imogen84
01-09-18, 13:25
Ok so it seems I Have fallen off the wagon for health anxiety. 4 years after hypnotherapy I seem to be relapsing.

8 weeks ago while pushing my sons bike I missed a step and slammed the pedal into the back of my leg towards the bottom of the calf. It hurt like hell and I had a cracking bruise. 2 weeks ago while sat on the sofa I noticed that in the same location of the bruise then is now a small lump under the skin. It's a couple of mm and I cannot always locate it easily depending on the flex of my muscle. There is Still some slight discoloration to the skin from the bruise and it doesnt hurt unless I press it which I keep doing 🙈 I am convinced it's a soft tissue sarcoma...so worried...but I have also read about haematomas?? Any one else had experience of this???

NancyW
01-09-18, 13:51
Given the information you just shared, why is this causing you anxiety? Why would you think it's "soft tissue sarcoma"?

imogen84
01-09-18, 13:56
Its causing me anxiety because I am not able to rationalise with my self. I have never e experienced a hard lump following a bruise and have no idea what to expect or if the time frame is normal. With my HA I jump to the worstconclusion and dwell on it until I make myself physically unwell.

lucymarie
01-09-18, 14:45
Prod around long enough and you'll find lumps all over your body, humans are full of bumpy bits, it's just how we are made. Pretty much anytime I get a cut, bite or anything along those lines I get swelling under the skin, which is most likely what you are experiencing. Some of us just react in that way. Unless there is expanding redness or pain etc I wouldn't personally be concerned.

Anxiousamyj
01-09-18, 15:25
I'll bet it's a hematoma, which is harmless. My daughter bashed her chin on Easter and developed a nasty bruise with a hematoma that has just now gone away, 5 months later. It's just a harmless collection of blood that comes from a trauma. The fact that you injured it should be enough evidence to prove it's nothing sinister. My daughter's hematoma was quite hard and decent sized. It slowly shrunk over time. The doctor looked at it as well. They're really no big deal. Just part of our body's natural healing process.

NancyW
01-09-18, 16:25
8 weeks ago while pushing my sons bike I missed a step and slammed the pedal into the back of my leg towards the bottom of the calf. It hurt like hell and I had a cracking bruise. 2 weeks ago while sat on the sofa I noticed that in the same location of the bruise then is now a small lump under the skin. It's a couple of mm and I cannot always locate it easily depending on the flex of my muscle. There is Still some slight discoloration to the skin from the bruise and it doesnt hurt unless I press it

Ohhh yes you can. THIS is YOU thinking rationally...

Keep reading it every time your thoughts start going south and for God's sake stay OFF google.

*the lump will stay there for a long time it is totally due to the injury. Sometimes they scar and stay there for ever.

ErinKC
01-09-18, 19:21
If you hit the lower part of your calf it could have banged your achilles and formed a bit of scar tissue. I have achilles tendonitis and there is a sore lump of scar tissue on my achilles. Your bump sounds a bit higher, but if you trace your finger up you can feel that large tendon up a good ways. It could definitely be a hematoma like others said, too.

imogen84
01-09-18, 19:39
Thanks everyone you have all.made me feel better especially the comments pointing out that I do have some.rational thought to have explained what happened!! I was in a very bad place HA wise about 4 years ago.and I could feel the pull of.the downward spiral. I have take on board everything that has been said and I am using the coping techniques I.learnt at CBT and hypnotherapy. I have to say I did consider it's.morw the top of the Achilles tendon rather than the calf x

NancyW
02-09-18, 03:04
imogen84, you can pull yourself back out, you're going to be fine.
That lump may stay there a very long time or forever.
Come on !... . kick that anxiety to the curb!

imogen84
02-09-18, 08:16
Thanks Nancy!