PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Word worries - scared

Nohelp
01-09-18, 19:55
Hello All, I am a 52 year old woman and for the past week or so , I've noticed that I keep saying the wrong words, that is, an alternative yet suitable word will come out of my mouth , but it won't be the word I intended to say , if that makes any sense ? Also IVe said things like came , instead of went, is instead of are . I did the stupid thing and googled it ( aphasia anyone? ) and I scared myself silly . Some background. Just got back from a very tiring holiday where I didn't sleep well at all for the whole two weeks there - only had few hours sleep last night as well . Called the check in desks gates and trays trolleys - was extremely anxious. Is this one of those that if you notice it it just gets worse ? My husband says he hasn't really noticed anything and that he does this too .Im even dreaming about nonsense words ! Also I sometimes start saying the wrong word and then quickly correct it so it sounds stuttering.
Anyway it's really frightening me now , silly as that seems , just because I fell that it's happening quite a lot , got docs appt on thurs hopefully just to put mind at rest , starting new job next week and don't want another ha thing to worry over ( that's if it is just health anxiety 😕)
Does anyone have or has had this and got over it ? I desperately need reassurance.

Thank you all xxx

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Anyone ?? Xx

Fishmanpa
01-09-18, 20:05
Extreme lack of sleep + stress = Brain farts :shades:

Positive thoughts

Passing_for_human
01-09-18, 20:53
I'm a lifelong insomniac and this is what lack of sleep does for you. I get words mixed up, trail off mid-sentence, forget names, words, etc... You haven't slept well for the duration of your holiday and after so I'd say this is most likely. Also (please don't take offence if this isn't relevant to you) this kind of thing is extremely common in menopause or pre-menopause - brain fog, word muddles and forgetfulness. Is that a possibility for you maybe? We are similar ages which is the only reason I mention it.

Nohelp
01-09-18, 21:58
Thanks for replies - yes the menopause is relevant to me ! I've had every other menopause and anxiety symptom over the years - I've had a word with myself and reasoned that if it was something serious it would not come and go ; anxious head won't let it lie just yet though xxxx

jojo2316
01-09-18, 22:23
I hadn’t heard of aphasia (but now I have: thanks dr Google) and what you have described doesn’t sound like that AT ALL. In fact it sounds like a completely normal combination of tiredness and hyper vigilance (if you weren’t anxious you wouldn’t have noticed your minor brain farts)!

Nohelp
01-09-18, 22:30
Thank you - the rational head knows this , the anxious head won't shut up at the moment .... I'm working on it though .....