PDA

View Full Version : Back ache and something serious

r2183
02-09-18, 01:03
Hey everyone.

I’ve been having aches in the top of my shoulders/neck area for the last 3 weeks, along with the odd twinge in my little finger and ring finger every now and then. For the most part I’ve been trying to keep my anxiety under control and tell myself it’s probably a pull or something. Last night and this morning my neck and shoulders felt ok – there was no achiness or pain at all and I felt pretty good in myself.

This evening I spent the a little while counting the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle (what an exciting life I lead!) when the bottom part of my neck and shoulders began to feel really tired and weak.

I looked online to see if there was any way to try and relieve these symptoms and the first link was talking about MS, ALS or cancer and in turn has now freaked me totally out – especially as I'd not been looking to diagnose myself and was merely looking for relief!

nomorepanic
02-09-18, 11:11
Sounds postural to me and muscle related.

lofwyr
02-09-18, 19:31
I have been like you described off an on for 30 years. Mostly I have the army and heavy rucksacks to thank for it, but in the mean time since then, posture, stress, work. Literally most days I feel exactly like you described.

Every google search will inevitably lead to cancer, ALS or MS. You can google anything, literally ANY symptom, and have it come up with that trifecta of HA fun.

A safer google might be "physical therapy techniques for sore neck and back" and I bet you can avoid the deadly trio and find some relief.

ErinKC
04-09-18, 01:57
This sounds like muscle and nerve stuff. The twinge in your ring and pinky finger is from a pinched ulnar nerve. It's like carpal tunnel, but the opposite side of your hand. I get this whenever I'm on my computer too long with my elbow bent. You probably have strained muscles in your neck/shoulders that have irritated nerves along you arm. This is basically the story of my life. Something always hurts! One it's gone, something new starts! It's the unfortunate result of working from home in a cheap chair and tending to a 4 year old all day.

r2183
04-09-18, 20:43
I have been like you described off an on for 30 years. Mostly I have the army and heavy rucksacks to thank for it, but in the mean time since then, posture, stress, work. Literally most days I feel exactly like you described.

Every google search will inevitably lead to cancer, ALS or MS. You can google anything, literally ANY symptom, and have it come up with that trifecta of HA fun.

A safer google might be "physical therapy techniques for sore neck and back" and I bet you can avoid the deadly trio and find some relief.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Typically I googled your suggestion and the first site that came up sadly did mention cancer :weep:

I went to the physiotherapist yesterday, who did a few tests etc and said my posture could do with improving (my shoulders roll forward) and that my back ache is could probably be down stress, my posture at a PC

He gave me an exercise to do every night, told me to carry on with my exercises - trying to do more yoga and swimming, focus on my posture, and told me to email him in a week to see if its helping.

The problem is that since this afternoon I've feeling feeling like crap. I went to the gym this morning, where although my back and neck wasn't aching I found myself weaker than usual, and now have back ache across the shoulders and further down the back too on and off throughout the day.

How long should this back and neck ache continue before I should start to worry? I'm slightly worried that going to yoga tomorrow will make it worse now

nomorepanic
04-09-18, 21:08
Sounds like I was right then.