PDA

View Full Version : Tender mole

tingalayo
03-09-18, 17:12
I have a mole on my scalp - pink with loads of hair growing out of it - and I've had it since I was a child. Just the last few days it's been tender to the touch in a way I haven't noticed before. It kind of aches when I'm not touching it but I wondered if that's just because I've been prodding/checking it. But it was tender beforehand otherwise I wouldn't have started prodding it. Could this be cancer? :weep:

Limeslime
04-09-18, 15:29
It’s unlikely based on that one symptom alone. More likely it is just irritated or traumatised by harsh shampoos or brushing, hot styling products, chemicals etc.
A change in the appearance of the mole is a more accurate way of recognising melanoma changes. (Check for the ABCDE rule)
If it is just a bit tender, be gentle with it for a week or two and it’s very likely it’ll heal and you can stop worrying ☺️
Plus, if hair is actively still growing through the mole, it couldn’t be an advanced melanoma as the cancer would have killed the hair follicle. So that’s a positive too!

tingalayo
09-09-18, 18:35
Hi, thanks for your reply, you're right that after waiting a few days it stopped being tender :blush: must've got scratched or nicked or something and I didn't notice.

Liddy1993
09-09-18, 18:57
I wouldn’t worry about it unless it gets bigger, bleeds on its own or becomes crusty I’d say you’ve just knicked it accidentally. I have a birthmark on my scalp too but it’s a hairless patch so I understand the worry but honestly you have nothing to worry about. :)