PDA

View Full Version : Bothersome Tooth

Aly9029
04-09-18, 18:05
Hi! I got a filling done around April, not too big, but not exactly small either. After a while I realized that it needed adjustment, so I went in and got it fixed. After that it felt better for about a month, and then needed another adjustment so I went in. Then that one felt better for a little over a month, and didn’t hurt too badly, but I got it adjusted. After that adjustment, it felt terrible, even the slightest touch to the tooth hurt. The next day I went in and the dentist put in a new filling, which is supposed to be more flexible, and easier on the tooth. It’s felt a lot better for a week or two, but then the pain slowly came back, and would be on and off. I could chew mostly everything. Yesterday I took a bite of a soft pineapple and felt a lot of pain. Brushing my teeth hurts now, when it didn’t before. Since the dentist has not adjusted my current filling for a high bite yet, it’s possible it is simply an adjustment away from feeling better. He told me that worst case scenario, I might need a root canal. I know I need to get this looked at professionally, but do you think I will need a root canal? Or will the adjustment help? Also, if anyone has had a root canal, or had something like this happen to them,could you please share your experience? I’m terrified of anything that has to do with the dentist, and this whole experience is really making me anxious. Thanks!

Katie55
04-09-18, 23:59
Sounds like you may have a cracked tooth. These often don't show on x-ray. If it is cracked you'll most likely need root canal treatment. I've had 4 in the last 2 years (I grind my teeth in my sleep and cracked them!) and I can say don't worry, I never felt a thing in any of them. It's just like having a filling but takes longer. You are numbed up and then the dentist covers the area round the tooth with a thin sheet to keep it dry. As for you you just lie there and do nothing. I was very wary before my first root canal but I didn't worry at all about the next 3. A few months later you usually need a crown to strengthen the tooth as root canal treatment leaves the tooth weaker.
Hope all goes ok.