PDA

View Full Version : Hi there! I'm new!

rebelleepoque
05-09-18, 01:50
Hi everyone! I think I read this forum ages ago (it was maybe Anxiety Zone!) and have now come back to begin posting. I have struggled with anxiety for most of my life (I have a family history of it/depression--my father and brother are also diagnosed GAD, and my father also has OCD) but mine was fairly under control for years until it flared up again in conjunction with my Ph.D qualifying exams. I passed the exams but the anxiety and symptoms of panic remained, which spurred me to begin to take better care of my health, including mental. I saw my PCP and was diagnosed with GAD; I have been taking Zoloft and Propranolol, which have helped a lot with my physical symptoms of panic and my overall wellbeing. I'm currently on the world's longest waitlist for CBT at my university health clinic (which is the only one that takes my weird insurance...ah, the joys of living in America), but have been working with my PCP and doing lots of reading to try to get my anxiety under control.

I suspect I may also have OCD/something OCD-like because of some issues with intrusive thoughts and hypervigilant behaviors. A lot of my anxiety focuses on my health, but I also struggle with panic in crowds, claustrophobia, some social anxiety, etc. I hope I can be useful in this forum in providing support for others who are going through some of what I go through, and that I might find a community here as well! :yesyes:

(Oh and I tend to type a lot...sorry lol!)

venusbluejeans
05-09-18, 01:57
Hiya rebelleepoque and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Texasgirl87
05-09-18, 05:24
Welcome! I’m new also. Congrats on your PhD! That is a great accomplishment! I imagine very stressful too but you have to think of the future in this case. They usually tell us anxiety riddled folks not to though. I would like to know how the cbt goes once you start!