PDA

View Full Version : Scared over rabies.

elswordfish
05-09-18, 04:03
So. This morning I was laying down and had my eyes closed. I wasn't asleep. I heard something fall (I say that because I noticed my fever thermometer did fall from one of my containers to another one) or scurry and I was thinking it may be a mouse because I've had them pop in my room before.

Well. I thought I felt a tingle on my lips when I had my eyes closed. I set up and looked around and didn't see anything.

I looked in the mirror and saw 2 tiny little marks right on my upper lip line. I mean they are small. But, I am so worried that it was a bat in my room and I have rabies. The news said there was a rabid bat found in the county next to mine and in another county here in my state. So I am flipping out. I have so many issues right now with my HA and I am hoping this is just another one. That I didn't really get bitten. I would have actually felt a bat right? Especially if it was on my face. Right? I'm so scared.

Someone help me.

AMomentofClarity
05-09-18, 04:11
There’s a million phantom bat bite threads on the site already. Guess how many got rabies.......

elswordfish
05-09-18, 06:59
I looked at the place with a flashlight. There's 5 little marks. Really tiny. One of them isn't really even that close to the others. It's just freaking me out. I wore a pink tinted lip balm last night. But, if it's that it would have been gone by now more than likely. And the marks look more red. The rational part of me says it's just broken capularies (sp?) from the water bottles I have been sucking down to take the meds I'm on. Like pressure marks.

I cannot stop worrying. I think my anxiety is so on edge because of the antibiotics I am on for a tooth abscess. I read where Clindamycin makes anxiety worse in people who already have it. And, this whole week and last I have been spirialling out of control with my fears.

I am scared to go the hospital. But, if I don't and this is rabies I will die.

Scass
05-09-18, 07:08
If something bites you it leaves marks that you can see, and it hurts. Even mosquito bites hurt & they have teeny tiny mosquito teeth. (I don’t think mosquitoes actually have teeth).

The point is that you’d know if you were bitten. Not be slightly ambivalent about it. And I also think you’d feel a bat swooping to your face, you’d feel the wind of it’s wings, and you’d hear the swoosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elswordfish
05-09-18, 11:55
This didn't hurt but I felt a slight tingling sensation. I have been feeling that in my lips for days though whenever my anxiety spikes. And, it was spiked when I was laying down yesterday morning. It isn't doing that right now though.

What's so funny is I never used to have health anxiety this bad. Just a little. I had a lot of other OCD issues though. But, then I got sick with an abscessed tooth and on antibiotics and now everything is freaking me out. This is the longest two weeks of my life.

I found some more spots on my bottom lip too.

I tend to bite my lips when I get stressed and I wonder if that is what did it. Yet, I cannot shake the feeling that it's a bat bite and it's gonna kill me.

I keep trying to shake it and it just gets worse.

I cannot deal with this.

Everyone on here is saying that they cannot bite without seeing them. But, Google says they can.

MagpieWitch
05-09-18, 12:21
Which Google? Some random stories?
It says it can bite without seeing if a person is a child or mentally impaired, a healthy adult will feel it even when sleeping.
Also you weren't asleep so you would definitely see and feel a flying mouse biting you on the lip, it would swash it's wings right in your face.
Most people bitten by bats were people who handled them or found them on their body in their rooms when asleep.
You weren't bitten, please don't let this anxiety take over your life, I lost two weeks to rabies fear and I really hope you wont

Fishmanpa
05-09-18, 13:16
We need to do something about those pesky invisible ninja bats so I thought about getting a couple of more folks together, converting an old 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance limo and calling ourselves "Bat Busters"

"When there's something strange in your bed or bath, who ya gonna call? Bat Busters!" :shades:

Positive thoughts and invisible bats :winks:

elswordfish
05-09-18, 19:21
Which Google? Some random stories?
It says it can bite without seeing if a person is a child or mentally impaired, a healthy adult will feel it even when sleeping.
Also you weren't asleep so you would definitely see and feel a flying mouse biting you on the lip, it would swash it's wings right in your face.
Most people bitten by bats were people who handled them or found them on their body in their rooms when asleep.
You weren't bitten, please don't let this anxiety take over your life, I lost two weeks to rabies fear and I really hope you wont

I was on sleeping pills at the time. So, I was a bit impaired though not asleep.

I am starting to think it was just where I bite my lips though. Because those marks are on my bottom lip too.

jules321
06-09-18, 02:47
How would a bat bite you on the lip without flapping you in the face? They are not invisible hovercrafts. They have to flap to stay airborne, and their wings are large.

I say this as a major bat-fearer myself. I used to live in a house where bats would hang outside our doors every night all night. It was terrifying to me. I've also witnessed a bat drop down from a roof (of a different house where I was vacationing) onto my friend's shoulder and flop around the ground clearly ill (likely rabid). Amazingly, my friend wasn't even freaked out even though I urged him to go to the hospital in case the bat bit him when it fell on him. (If it had landed on me, I swear I would have needed a straitjacket.)

The problem is we know that you're supposed to go to the doctor/hospital and get rabies shots if you wake up in a room with a bat because you might not know if you were bitten. So we then extrapolate that we also wouldn't know if we were bitten if we were awake. This isn't true though. When you're sleeping, a bat would still bump or touch you if biting you, but you'd be asleep so might not feel it. If you are awake, how could you not feel it? I've unfortunately seen many bats fly, and they aren't ninjas. They are more like torpedoes and flap around with wings much bigger than their bodies.

Be strong.

elswordfish
06-09-18, 03:14
I heard something outside my window this morning that sounded like a bat. Now I'm even more worried.

I still don't see how it could have bit me while awake (though with my eyes closed and on sleeping pills) and me not know though. But, I'm still freaking out.

I might go the ER and have them look at my lip. Just to be safe.

MagpieWitch
06-09-18, 03:19
We are actually very very sensitive to things that are unknown to our body. Yeah if someone you know is near you and accidentally touches you you might not be jumpy. But when our body feels a foreign and strange thing in its close proximity all those nice instincts we have from our predecessors fire up.

I am saying if the bat got close it wouldn't swatted you with the wing or made a lot of noise and you would've woken up even if asleep. It was on your face. We wake up from mosquitoes flying near us.

And 2nd thing, bats cannot fly, they glide. They can't take off. So if it went down on your face to bite you, it wouldn't be able to fly off without you feeling it. They can't take off from the ground they gotta climb and let go and then glide. And there's no way a bat can bite you multiple times in a silent flight you wouldn't feel.

Your little wounds are def from biting your mouth and I have a lot of those too cause my lips are often dry. Please don't worry over this, it's literally impossible!

elswordfish
06-09-18, 03:31
I cannot stop flipping out about it. I know it's impossible but my HA is screaming "it's possible. It happened. Go the ER" I cannot stop flipping out.

I am so scared that I am somehow gonna be the person to die from this.

elswordfish
06-09-18, 08:19
I just cannot stop looking at my lips. I see like 7 places. One is on the other side of the same lip.

ETA: My left shoulder is starting to hurt. I am getting really scared now. There's nothing they can do now if it was a bat bite. I will die.

I keep going back and forth with myself between thinking why me and thinking that this is ridiculous. That there's no way it's a bat bite because I didn't see or feel the bat and these marks are all over my top lip.

MagpieWitch
06-09-18, 11:05
Please try and calm down. You shoulder pain has nothing to do with it. If you read articles and they said that people got arm/shoulder pain, it's because thats the bite site. Its not a symptom.
Also no bat can bite you 7 times without you noticing on the most sensitive part of your body. He would need to stop and touch your face.
People bitten by bats they dont remember wake up with the bat on them but thats like one case reported by some news site. Most people that encountered rabid bats know they were bitten because they handle them.
Also another thing about bites: they are painful cause the saliva is dirty. I got a scratch on my hand by a kitten and it hurt. My friend was bitten by a hamster and her hand swole. You would have an immediate noticable reaction like swelling or redness - not just dots.
Please I know I am a stranger online but I am convinced you weren't swooped by a bat 7 times, I really hope you can calm down :(

elswordfish
06-09-18, 12:04
My cat bit me and that hurt and now I am worried that he has it. That was about 2 weeks ago and he's alive and not sick. So probably not.

But, thank you for telling me about it hurting because that is a bite site. My lips don't hurt.

My leg where my cat bit me hurt like hell. But, he's alive and perfectly healthy. So, he didn't give me rabies. I need to stop worrying.

MagpieWitch
06-09-18, 12:34
Your healthy domestic cat does not have rabies and yes if it was 2 weeks ago definetly no rabies.
Also see it has to hurt.
Your lip marks are not from a bat.
You are fine and you don't have rabies.

paranoid-viking
06-09-18, 16:21
So. This morning I was laying down and had my eyes closed. I wasn't asleep. I heard something fall (I say that because I noticed my fever thermometer did fall from one of my containers to another one) or scurry and I was thinking it may be a mouse because I've had them pop in my room before.

Well. I thought I felt a tingle on my lips when I had my eyes closed. I set up and looked around and didn't see anything.

I looked in the mirror and saw 2 tiny little marks right on my upper lip line. I mean they are small. But, I am so worried that it was a bat in my room and I have rabies. The news said there was a rabid bat found in the county next to mine and in another county here in my state. So I am flipping out. I have so many issues right now with my HA and I am hoping this is just another one. That I didn't really get bitten. I would have actually felt a bat right? Especially if it was on my face. Right? I'm so scared.

Someone help me.

Please read this:
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

And do a google search on no more panic+rabies. And read it and read it over and over. The admin set it up to prevent more and more rabies threads puring in over and over. If you read it I promise to answer you if you post your worries in THAT thread.

Oh and one thing: what are you doing to combat your irrational health anxiety?

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

I cannot stop flipping out about it. I know it's impossible but my HA is screaming "it's possible. It happened. Go the ER" I cannot stop flipping out.

I am so scared that I am somehow gonna be the person to die from this.

So what are you doing about this anxiety? Are you seing a professional?

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

My cat bit me and that hurt and now I am worried that he has it. That was about 2 weeks ago and he's alive and not sick. So probably not.

You allready know the answer so why are you posting this? Is it so that you can never feel at ease before someone from this forum is confirming what you allready know? That it is us posting here, and not the doctors and experts who can give you the magic reassurance? Is that the reason behind all those completely outlandish rabies threads of The Twilight Zone in here?