PDA

View Full Version : VERY VERY concerned about Rabies now. :(

Seaster
06-09-18, 00:41
I've been feeling a bit off all day and my stomach has felt like bloated, stomach pains, maybe like i'll gag/throw up. Then the bowel movements came and now I feel fine as far as stomach issue BUT one big issue. I'm still lethargic somewhat and my temperature is 100.4, which is concerning because at first check getting home, it was 99.3. How did it get so high in that short a span? Got home around 6:50, it's not 7:39.

My face does feel warm but i don't know if it's because of my job out in the heat all day or not. But my temperature being so high is concerning to me. Yesterday it checked out fine, why the sudden change?

Can someone explain what might be happening here? Is a possible sunburn know to make you feel temps that high? I took Tylenol and took a cold shower not long ago so i'm hoping i can reduce it but i fear I might have rabies.

Currently, the fever and the feeling a little bit exhausted is the only symptoms.

AMomentofClarity
06-09-18, 00:47
Of the thousands of relatively harmless viruses and bacteria that can cause mild fever and upset stomach.....you go with rabies....

Seaster
06-09-18, 00:49
Because I did get bit by a dog so it's in my head it's possible. I had gloves on and the wound was minor but i still never found out if the dog is alive or not so it is a bit concerning.

AMomentofClarity
06-09-18, 00:51
Because I did get bit by a dog so it's in my head it's possible. I had gloves on and the wound was minor but i still never found out if the dog is alive or not so it is a bit concerning.

I’m a former smoker, if I get a cough, does that mean I’ve got lung cancer?

Seaster
06-09-18, 01:29
It's just very strange my temperature is this high all of a sudden out of nowhere. Yes, it probably could be something else but having to hope its not rabies is worrying enough. I have heard stories of people thinking they are fine and then they get sick and eventually die from rabies. The doctors I saw said there wasn't any worries and I took them to heart until tonight. Now i'm concerned about this high temp.

jules321
06-09-18, 02:33
Not sure where you're located, but I came down with a high fever, bad cough, horrible sore throat, and some stomach issues a few days ago. My doc said there is a nasty virus going around that could be the flu (but it's so early they aren't testing for it yet). So chances are high that you just have some yucky virus.

NervUs
06-09-18, 02:41
It's just very strange my temperature is this high all of a sudden out of nowhere. Yes, it probably could be something else but having to hope its not rabies is worrying enough. I have heard stories of people thinking they are fine and then they get sick and eventually die from rabies. The doctors I saw said there wasn't any worries and I took them to heart until tonight. Now i'm concerned about this high temp.

It is inevitable that you will get sick multiple times after a rabies scare. Yes, it is true. There is no way to tell if you have rabies at the beginning of the illness. They say initial symptoms are the same you would get with any virus. That is the way it is for MOST serious illnesses. That is because the body is the body and symptoms are the immune system reacting to whatever germ and the immune system doesn't really care if it's reacting to rabies or the common cold-- it reacts the same way.

So, you are going to have to learn to live with whatever uncertainty you feel until you know your cold/fever has passed. You can either freak out and assume it's rabies, or find a way to take it day by day. I have learned to take it day by day when I am in a panic, and focus on the little improvements I see as each day passes. This has never happened, but I also know that if I worsen or things seem really out of the ordinary that I will take myself to the hospital (something I don't normally do) and let them know about whatever exposure I felt I had. Really out of the ordinary means cognitive problems, sensitivity to light, salivating, searing pain, etc. Even then, it is more likely to be viral meningitis or something more commonplace.

There's really nothing else to do in this situation. I mean, yeah, a miniscule number of extremely unlucky people get rabies and are misdiagnosed at first. But you are not going to be one. Plus, you are lacking a symptom that most rabies sufferers seem to have in common at the beginning of the disease. Fever isn't even universal with rabies.

Run of the mill viruses are going around right now, in the US at least. I just got over a cold...so....please take the day by day approach. I am sure that you will start improving in a day or two!

Seaster
06-09-18, 02:52
I know my brother and his GF stay over at my parents house, which I do too. And they had the stomach flu just recently. Not sure how long it takes to get to you but yeah, it's possible I have that. It's just unsettling the temperature sometimes shows higher than 100.4, because that seems to be the cutoff for a low grade fever from what I read.

I am experiencing constant feelings to have a bowel movement or when eating, noticed it was hard to eat the food to the point where I wanted to throw it up.

Sounds like a stomach bug but the rising temperature might be worrisome for me. I guess if it's under 103, i'm okay still.

NervUs
06-09-18, 03:09
I am experiencing constant feelings to have a bowel movement or when eating, noticed it was hard to eat the food to the point where I wanted to throw it up.

Sounds like a stomach bug but the rising temperature might be worrisome for me. I guess if it's under 103, i'm okay still.

That also sounds like abject fear and anxiety. I have to poop A LOT when I am in a spiral and also am unable to eat except for tiny amounts. I have also thrown up from health fear, so embarrassed to admit all of that.

Your symptoms don't sound like rabies symptoms, btw. Maybe it's a stomach bug and maybe you have yourself so worked up about the fever that you are causing yourself gastro distress. I have been there too many times to count. I always come out of HA spikes svelte and looking fine, the one bright side of this!!

MagpieWitch
06-09-18, 03:09
It is probably a normal virus, most likely stomach flu.
I know it says rabies has flu like symptoms but so do literally all other diseases. And rabies doesn't technically have a sore throat, that's more or less a lost in translation kinda situation - the throat hurts cause the muscles contract so most people describe it as sore throat but it's not the same thing as the one you get from a cold or a flu.
Also the upset stomach from rabies usually comes because of the virus it doesn't precede it.
Also rabies causes a lot of pain and tingling at the site. Don't google stories but take my word for it from someone who read over 30 rabies reports in the past 2 weeks, those people were in a lot of pain and tingling and paralysis. You don't have that.
You probably got the stomach flu. And rabies get's bad really quickly, it won't let you just be here posting, it is a fast killer.
Please don't be scared of something like this, I know it's hard but I am convinced this is just a stomach flu. And you will see once you start to feel better and there will be a great relief!

jules321
06-09-18, 04:57
I just had a fever of almost 103 a few days ago. My doc told me anything under 103 is nothing to worry about and is common with viruses. That high of a fever is not common for me. It lasted for a day then went away, and I have lots of other viral symptoms. (Although I do have to admit after reading this thread there is a tiny part of my rabies-fear that is being triggered - but I refuse to go there!) -- We will all get sick, and the previous poster is right that we can't catastrophize. I am a pro at doing that and a few days ago with my fever I think I was swiping my head to check my temp at least every 10mins -- I was afraid to take any ibuprofen because I didn't want it to mask any symptoms that could be critical for diagnosis (see how we HA sufferers are doomed if we do or don't)... until eventually I took some when I reached 102.5F for the sole reason that I could see my temp was still climbing and I knew I would *freak out* if my temp got to 103 since the doc told me that was an important cutoff.

Most of us are somewhat of the blind leading the blind here in terms of tryin to help each other even though we are all afflicted with acute and debilitating anxiety. It's somewhat amusing we all turn to each other for reassurance when we're all in the same boat.

So - we must step out of the reassurance loop and find strength from within. Tell yourself you're fine, this is just another anxiety loop - and step outside of it.

paranoid-viking
06-09-18, 16:35
I've been feeling a bit off all day and my stomach has felt like bloated, stomach pains, maybe like i'll gag/throw up. Then the bowel movements came and now I feel fine as far as stomach issue BUT one big issue. I'm still lethargic somewhat and my temperature is 100.4, which is concerning because at first check getting home, it was 99.3. How did it get so high in that short a span? Got home around 6:50, it's not 7:39.

My face does feel warm but i don't know if it's because of my job out in the heat all day or not. But my temperature being so high is concerning to me. Yesterday it checked out fine, why the sudden change?

Can someone explain what might be happening here? Is a possible sunburn know to make you feel temps that high? I took Tylenol and took a cold shower not long ago so i'm hoping i can reduce it but i fear I might have rabies.

Currently, the fever and the feeling a little bit exhausted is the only symptoms.

Read this:
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

There are more than enough rabies thread in here ALLREADY and the admins put that one up.

What happens to you know? Dunno: I am no doctor. But it is not rabis; THAT I can sy. But the rest of it is something you have to ask your doc about.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Of the thousands of relatively harmless viruses and bacteria that can cause mild fever and upset stomach.....you go with rabies....

And he or she is of course ignoring the sticky rabies threads with all the info needed about it.

Some people with HA should not read this forums. It makes their HA worse. 2 years ago there wer no rabies threads here; now the pop up every day. And one more outlandsih and bizarre than the other.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

I’m a former smoker, if I get a cough, does that mean I’ve got lung cancer?

According to HA logic it does.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Read this AGAIN:
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

And stop googling! If you post in THAT thread I promise to answer you more detailed.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Not sure where you're located, but I came down with a high fever, bad cough, horrible sore throat, and some stomach issues a few days ago. My doc said there is a nasty virus going around that could be the flu (but it's so early they aren't testing for it yet). So chances are high that you just have some yucky virus.

It is a 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999% higher chance of it being that than rabies.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

That also sounds like abject fear and anxiety. I have to poop A LOT when I am in a spiral and also am unable to eat except for tiny amounts. I have also thrown up from health fear, so embarrassed to admit all of that.

Your symptoms don't sound like rabies symptoms, btw. Maybe it's a stomach bug and maybe you have yourself so worked up about the fever that you are causing yourself gastro distress. I have been there too many times to count. I always come out of HA spikes svelte and looking fine, the one bright side of this!!

People with rabies symptoms are WAAAAYYYY to sick to sit posting on an online forum.

Seaster
06-09-18, 18:11
Yeah, my temperature is down in the 99's now and found my 2nd brother and dad are starting to feel sick too. Definitely seems like a stomach flu of sorts. Of course, my HA kicks in knowing I was bitten by a dog 6 weeks ago. I called animal control and they said they never followed up on locating the dog at the guys property... They are going to go and locate the dog soon so that will ease my mind. (yes, maybe not necessary but if it helps me ease my mind, then i'll do it.)

Seaster
07-09-18, 20:38
I just don't get how my temperature can be in the 97-99 range and then spike back to 101.2 today. Is it because I stopped taking stuff for the fever? Because I kinda wanted to see if I was getting better but if it keeps climbing, i'm a bit worried.

Doubt much anyone will see my post in this sub forum but would like clarification on what is happening here to ease my mind? Is it normal for a stomach flu to get that high and cause neck tightness and weird chest feelings too?

Scass
07-09-18, 20:48
If you’re sick with a virus your fever can come and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jules321
07-09-18, 21:10
I've had a nasty virus the last week.

Day 1: I had fever of 103F.
Day 2: Normal in morning, then 101F in evening.
Day 3: Normal in morning, 100F in day, normal in evening.
Day 4: 100F in morning, 101F in afternoon, normal in evening
Day 5: No fever
Day 6: 100F fever
Day 7: No fever, and I'm finally feeling like myself again even though I still have other symptoms.

My point is that fevers can come and go when you're sick.

Seaster
07-09-18, 21:55
I've had a nasty virus the last week.

Day 1: I had fever of 103F.
Day 2: Normal in morning, then 101F in evening.
Day 3: Normal in morning, 100F in day, normal in evening.
Day 4: 100F in morning, 101F in afternoon, normal in evening
Day 5: No fever
Day 6: 100F fever
Day 7: No fever, and I'm finally feeling like myself again even though I still have other symptoms.

My point is that fevers can come and go when you're sick.
Yeah, I am noticing that. The pressure like headache around my head at times and my sore/stiff neck at times is a bit odd to me and i can't figure that out either. I know it's normal to have aches but a stiff/sore neck didn't pop up till after an hour after starting my work shift earlier. Luckily it was a short day for me but yeah, weird.

It hasn't gotten any higher than 101.2F so hopefully that's reason enough to wait it out. I hate taking pain killers because it kinda masks the temperature but maybe it helps me more than hurts.

Lola-Lee
08-09-18, 12:42
I had all those symptoms when I had a very bad virus,bloody rotten headache and stiff neck,common flu can hang around for weeks if your immune system is out of whack.