PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a non-scary adult chickenpox story?

percythetrain
06-09-18, 15:58
Hi all, I'm close to going insane here. I'm surprisingly calm given the situation, but I think that's just because I'm so scared I can't even freak out outwardly. I'm like petrified. This is actually not a HA post, I do have the disease. It's because my child had it and I was exposed.

I wasn't super scared at first but then I made the mistake of reading a bit on google (because I wanted to help my child get relief even though she was OK) and I accidentally read the bit about the adults... yeah. It was downhill from there. Just horrible scenarios. I don't even wanna remember. It's like when I looked up muscle twitches and the first result was you-know-what.

I ended up getting it and luckily I saw a doctor who told me that it wasn't that big a deal and not to read google anymore, my mom's friend who's a pharmacist said pretty much the same thing: not to worry if I'm not immunocompromised. I don't have much of a fever, so far it peaked at 98.6, all I have is the itchy spots and a sore throat. But I am still freaking out.

I haven't taken an antiviral because the doctor who saw me first said he didn't like them because of their possible side effect profile and he doesn't give them to healthy young people. The pharmacist was kind of in the same page, so I started to make peace with my decision not to take it but then... I saw a different doctor yesterday just as a precaution and they had a different take. They said I should probably take it and was very surprised by the other doctor's approach, which made me feel petrified again. She said I could still take it. The thing is I did read the possible consequences of taking the drug and there were a couple of very scary blood syndromes that it could cause and I have a bit of a phobia when it comes to medication side-effects, even without anyone warning me about them, so I'm basically back in square one: petrified to take the drug and to not take the drug.

I'm trying to look at the bright side. I could have something worse. The fact that I don't even have a fever must mean I'm not in such bad shape. I do itch a lot and look awful but that's supposed to be normal. I would really appreaciate it if someone could share a story that isn't scary. It still kind of feels like I'm living a nightmare of sorts, a HA nightmare :(

Hugs to all

hazelbritt
06-09-18, 16:27
Hey there,
My dad had chickenpox as an adult. It was uncomfortable, but he was fine. Take care. This too shall pass!

percythetrain
06-09-18, 17:01
Thank you for sharing Hazelbritt, that helps a lot <3

Scass
06-09-18, 17:02
I was offered the anti virals when I had shingles and I didn’t take them as I was breastfeeding at the time. All my dr said is that they would have shortened the symptoms by a couple of days.

You’ll be fine. I know you’re scared, but you’ll be fine. Just try not to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

percythetrain
06-09-18, 17:12
Thanks so much Scass, I really hope so. So far I don't feel quite as bad as when having a bad cold but it's quite shocking to look in the mirror so I try to avoid it :#

hazelbritt
06-09-18, 17:31
Good call avoiding the mirror. My kids had chickenpox recently and it looked so awful, it actually made my skin crawl (which gave me anxiety! sigh)

Carnation
06-09-18, 17:46
I also had it as an adult. I didn't take any medication, because the doc wouldn't give it to me. I felt like I had a really bad cold and looked horrendous with the spots. I used calamine lotion to stop the itching. That was 12 years ago. Don't Google, just rest, drink plenty of fluids and sleep. :hugs:

lucymarie
06-09-18, 18:17
I had it a few years ago. It was a very uncomfortable, itchy few days but other than that no issues.

percythetrain
06-09-18, 18:47
Good call avoiding the mirror. My kids had chickenpox recently and it looked so awful, it actually made my skin crawl (which gave me anxiety! sigh)

I know. It's some Resident Evil type stuff lol

I also had it as an adult. I didn't take any medication, because the doc wouldn't give it to me. I felt like I had a really bad cold and looked horrendous with the spots. I used calamine lotion to stop the itching. That was 12 years ago. Don't Google, just rest, drink plenty of fluids and sleep. :hugs:

Wow yeah it seems some docs think the illness is more benign than the med and then others have a different opinion. I'm using some calamine too. Will try to get some rest today as I couldn't sleep too much last night, due to mostly anxiety :blush:

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

I had it a few years ago. It was a very uncomfortable, itchy few days but other than that no issues.

That's great to hear. Thanks LM48 :D

lucymarie
06-09-18, 18:59
The only thing I will say is definitely don't scratch (it's near impossible not to though :blush:) I did and now I have battle scars and I'm like a dalmatian with white dotty scars allover lol!

Magic
06-09-18, 19:25
I had chicken pox when I was fifteen. I used calamine lotion for the spots stops the itching. Don't scratch as leaves scars. All the best.

percythetrain
06-09-18, 19:53
I had chicken pox when I was fifteen. I used calamine lotion for the spots stops the itching. Don't scratch as leaves scars. All the best.

The only thing I will say is definitely don't scratch (it's near impossible not to though :blush:) I did and now I have battle scars and I'm like a dalmatian with white dotty scars allover lol!

Yeah will try not to scratch. I just popped one accidentally by gently rubbing my back :wacko: Will try to not even touch them at all.

Do you ladies know if it's OK to dab them with alcohol? I was thinking of dabbing it on just the one I popped to disinfect it. Don't want to google this just in case something awful shows LOL

Scass
06-09-18, 20:35
I wouldn’t.

Just keep them clean in the shower maybe.

Do you have porridge oats to make an oat bath? They’re supposed to be really good.

Magic
06-09-18, 20:43
Camamile lotion may not be made now, but there will be something similar I'm sure

percythetrain
06-09-18, 21:23
I wouldn’t.

Just keep them clean in the shower maybe.

Do you have porridge oats to make an oat bath? They’re supposed to be really good.

Thanks! Will try the oats. I think there may be some in the pantry :)

Camamile lotion may not be made now, but there will be something similar I'm sure

I'm using something that has calamine + benadryl. I'm not sure how much it helps but I'm trying everything lol I find that if I don't disturb them they eventually stop itching on their own, at least for some time.

Katie55
06-09-18, 22:42
I had it aged 37. Felt rough for a few days, looked hilarious with my spots but recovered fine. Same thing happened to my brother a month later

percythetrain
07-09-18, 00:37
Thanks Katie! I appreciate you sharing that :)

I am actually pretty nervous right now because I saw a visiting doctor again today just for a checkup and it turned out to be the same person who had complained about the doctor who didn't give me aciclovir. She kind of made me feel like I made a bad decision not taking it. On the bright side, she said she's be in the neighborhood till late night so I should call her if anything is up after I take it. I am considering taking it, so back to square one again lol.

I took a tiny amount almost an hour ago so that I can test whether I am allergic but that doesn't seem to be the case. So yay.