PDA

View Full Version : Hantavirus Worry / Compulsive worry

Scottyboy
07-09-18, 00:27
Hi everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Bit of background - I have general anxiety disorder. I worry way too much and my worries tend to morph and change everyday. I essentially swap one for the other. I have done some somatic body work and CBT. Somatic body work has helped me relax immensely but I can’t kick the catastrophic and compulsive thinking. I’m trying to do Cbt for that. I have also had every worry possible including rabies, cancer, als, etc.

Which brings me to today. I was at my parents house in a small town and I saw a black speck on the floor. When I saw it I thought it was a mouse poop (now that I think about it it was probably a rock) which sent me off into a downward spiral. It really was a new low for me. I started checking every corner of the house for more mouse poop compulsively. I ended up in a closet where I saw some dust with some dead ants and other black specks which I’m quite confident we’re not mouse poops. It was dark. I didn’t disturb the dust and I actually held my breath while I hunched over and looked at it with my flashlight. I kept going back to it and looking to double check that it wasn’t mouse poop. I am confident that it wasn’t but my mind won’t let it go. There was no evidence of mouse poop or even a deer mouse for that matter. But of course my brain is convinced “oh what if you are wrong and one of those black specks in the dust was a deer mouse poop and you actually disturbed some dust bunnies that shot up into the air and you breathed in- now you have hantavirus!” It’s a rural town and they live in a nice modern house so I doubt they even have mice let alone a deer mouse that is infected.

Yes as I write it out it sounds ridiculous. Even as I type it out it sounds so crazy.

I don’t know why I was doing this (looking for trouble - looking for something to worry about trying to protect myself and being hypervigilant). It was really a new low for me. I’m now stuck dwelling on this - I feel a mixture of embarrassment and shame and even a bit of worry/fear. My mind keeps beating me up over it. Like I have to wait for 6 weeks to pass to know I’m in the clear while At the same time I feel so stupid having gone out looking for trouble.

MagpieWitch
07-09-18, 01:30
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I have to say that I don't know much about Hentavirus but I had a fear few years back when I found mouse poop at my grandma's house and I learned a lot about it. You have to stir up a LOT of mouse poop particles. I mean walk into a basement or barn where mice are regular visitors and just breathe all that in to get the virus.

I worked at a ranch for three years in my teens and there were mice in the barn and we all regularly stirred up the dust from the hay and horse bedding so bad that I would sneeze a lot from that. Yet here we are no hentavirus even 4 years later.

I know the compulsive need to check if the black things were poop, to check symptoms, to google, but if you don't break out of the cycle early it will really consume you and then it's harder and harder to break free. I hope you will find reassurance helpful to let go of such fear.

Scottyboy
07-09-18, 17:27
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Yea, the cycle is the most difficult to break. I am finding that relaxation exercises help but are not diminishing my automatic negative thoughts