PDA

View Full Version : Pupil size difference

sam93
07-09-18, 14:51
Okay, so I'm going to try and keep this story short.

About 4 months ago I noticed a difference in pupil size, my left was bigger than right. Back then I had the following tests:

- I went for an eye test which came back clear
- My GP suggested I go to an eye hospital for peace of mind
- I went to an eye hospital and had an examination which was clear
- My GP suggested it's just normal and said don't worry

I kind of forgot about it, although I did notice is a few times in the months since then. Over the last couple of days I've had an eye ache in the eye where the pupil is larger. I've begun to freak out again.

I went onto a doctor app where you can FaceTime a doctor and they said she would want me to go for a brain scan to rule everything out.

So I freaked out and went straight to my local urgent care center, which is a private practice and therefore paid healthcare. The doctor there was very nice and did a quick examination with a light and said my pupils are reacting normal, but she can see the size difference.

She basically said there it would be a waste of my money to send me for a brain scan and she thought the online doctor was ridiculous for suggesting it.

I'm now worried though because one doctor said I should have one and another refused to send me for one. :(

What do other people think?

Shadowhawk
07-09-18, 15:13
So, I went through this exact problem/worry a month ago. I noticed that my pupils we're not always even, and at some times which was bigger would even vary. Like you, I noticed it months ago, then noticed again more recently when I was having dry eye problems.

I have seen 2 optometrists, and my regular opthalmologist. All agreed, they are reactive, and I have no obvious neuro symptoms, so they were completely unconcerned.

I realize that it can be unsettling, but unless it is associated with other actual problems, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. It can actually be quite common, just most people don't notice it.

ankietyjoe
07-09-18, 15:41
Private facetime Doctors are notoriously over cautious.

You've been checked by Doctors face to face, a number of times.

Let it go.

sam93
08-09-18, 22:01
Thanks for the responses.

I wish I could just drop it. Today I’ve had a headache and continued eye pain, can this be normal? I’m worried now!

MRS STRESS ED
08-09-18, 22:21
Thanks for the responses.

I wish I could just drop it. Today I’ve had a headache and continued eye pain, can this be normal? I’m worried now!

yes it can be normal your headache probably due to you
being stressed about this, trust
your doctor and stop overthinking
put your energy into something positive xx

Best wishes

zebra
09-09-18, 08:29
I also have this problem..i notice it since february...only somtimes in the morning and some days also in the evening...but the rest there is no difference..sometimes the bigger one is the right eye, another days the left one..i was at the eye doctor, she made many test, all clear, a went also to the neurologist, all clear.....it is already 7 months and i feel completely ok...i hope, it is ok then...

Cuckoo8
09-09-18, 09:37
I have it, too. Noticed it for the first time 5+ years ago, and have since seen a neurologist and an ophthalmologist and both have said there’s nothing wrong. You should let it go.

zebra
09-09-18, 09:42
cuckoo...and do you have it all the time? or only sometimes? and always one eye is bigger? is teh difference sometimes huge? thank you!
Interesting how many people are affected by this issue...:bighug1:

sam93
09-09-18, 10:14
I’m now totally freaked out.

I woke up this morning and have been very dizzy, the room felt like it was spinning!!! This is bad :(

zebra
09-09-18, 10:22
this could be from anxiety, blood pressure etc.

lucymarie
09-09-18, 12:50
You have seen actual medical professionals who have told you there is no need for a scan. This is worth more than a doctor online who can't check you over themselves. Plus, it's very easy for them to suggest a scan for a patient that isn't their's so they therefore don't have to justify. They have essentially suggested it to cover their arse on someone elses money. Trust your doctor. They are the one who has your best interests in mind.

Nervwreck
02-10-19, 01:36
I have the same thing. Usually in a morning or at night. Sometimes one pupil bigger than another and somedays you can notice it quite a bit. During the day in a day light they seem fine. Went to a doctor, both eyes react normal to the light. I noticed it about a year and a half ago and occasionally when I notice again it sends me into this freak out mode :/

Shadowhawk
02-10-19, 12:16
Likewise, i have this as well. I have seen a few eye doctors, and none have expressed concern given otherwise normal tests. In my case, i suspect it is because i have irritated my eyes due to other health conditions (diagnosed sleep apnea which cause diagnosed floppy eyelid syndrome). Since treating my apnea my eye health has greatly improved, but the uneven pupils remain. It still freaks me out to see, but sine it doesn't seem to cause any harm, i can deal with it at this point.

Kitkat99
02-10-19, 22:35
20% of the population have uneven pupil sizes. It’s a thing that can occur normally. Check old photos and you will probably see you’ve always had it and are only just noticing it. Also if you pay attention while watching tv a lot of people have this.

It’s only a cause for concern if it’s a huge different (one pupil completely dilated and the other not) or if they don’t react to light.

Ruby777
08-10-19, 22:12
I have this also and have seen a neurologist about it . It’s totally normal and is called physiological anisocoria . I was so stressed when I first noticed it but a lot of people have this and unless you focus on it you wouldn’t notice . As long as your pupils react to light you are fine .

It is Always good to seek medical advice , which you have done and they have reassured you .

Andy699
10-10-19, 00:28
This was a big one for me too, but it turned out to be nothing, I think it's natural for one to be slightly larger than the other. My left one is always slightly bigger than my right but it reacts normal to light

BlueIris
10-10-19, 04:58
Been there, done that, spent days crying over it convinced I was dying of a brain tumour.

GP did a neuro exam and wasn't in the least bit worried. My pupil sizes are still different, it's still nothing.

kah
22-10-19, 21:17
I have this too, have had for years.
I spoke to my Optician whilst having my eyes tested and she said a third of the population have uneven pupils.
Nothing to worry about.

Nervwreck
19-12-19, 04:45
I have noticed the same thing about 2 years ago. It’s always in dimmer light either early in the morning or at night. Sometimes it’s my left eye and sometimes it’s my right. It freaks me out every time. They do react to light and both shrink if I look at the light or point the light to the eye. I did go to a doc because I also have eye flashes always in one eye whenever I get worked up or excited, or sneeze or yawn. Had an mri but it was a brief one that checked my blood vessels and arteries in the head. Worried if they missed something and should have spend more time performing a scan or do a one with contrast. The mri came back normal. My flashes stopped for about 6 months but then returned. I am beyond anxious all the time and I’m sure that doesn’t help it. Eyes still freak me out whenever I notice them.