PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause these symptoms?

jtw5651
09-09-18, 20:22
I'm sorry I make so many threads on here, really :)

I had a bit of a medical anxiety freakout back in late July that carried over into mid August, due to a tingle/pressure in my face that's since gone away. (though it does come back sporadically)

Had an MRI on that, everything came back good :)

Anyways, since then, I started getting twitches in my legs (and all over body, but mostly legs) that seem to come and go. Sometimes it feels like my calf is vibrating if I touch it? It seems worse in the left leg, from the knee to the thigh.

In the past week or two, both legs have felt VERY tight in the calves. I can walk without difficulty, but I feel like I can't run. NMD is the natural fear, especially if you google symptoms (Aggh! Bad, I know!) but I know that is pretty rare for my age (33)

Going back to neuro later this month for a follow up anyway. Will definitely mention this to him then.

Could this be a result of anxiety? Because well, despite my best efforts (yoga, breathing exercises, light exercise and reducing caffeine intake) I know I'm still pretty anxious.

BazB44
09-09-18, 20:24
ugh, I know the feeling. the calves are where we hold all of our tension usually. Calves are the first to ache. Mine always ache, and lately ive been getting buzzing (vibrating) in my leg. Body wide twitching here and there, but that comes and goes with anxiety. So yes, it can be anxiety.

jtw5651
09-09-18, 20:40
ugh, I know the feeling. the calves are where we hold all of our tension usually. Calves are the first to ache. Mine always ache, and lately ive been getting buzzing (vibrating) in my leg. Body wide twitching here and there, but that comes and goes with anxiety. So yes, it can be anxiety.

I'm sorry you're having similar symptoms, but knowing I'm not alone makes me feel a bit better, I guess. I just tend to assume the worst :(

I've also had occasional cramping, especially in said calves and in the arches of my feet.

katniss
12-09-18, 19:01
I have been getting this strange buzzing in my arch of foot. And when I look I can see the muscles twitching sometimes. Very creepy

pinkyd
12-09-18, 22:00
Go to anxietycentre.com and scroll to symptoms. It lists everything you describe, but also explains why. The body and brain are in overdrive and yes, you can experience all those symptoms. Reading the entire site has helped me a lot! Its good reassurance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AfraidofMS
15-09-18, 21:22
Yes, i have that too right now and it doesnt stop. Even after a good sleep, it’s still there. Im afraid that it might be MS related “spasticity”, because i have other MS - related symptoms even tho my MRI is clear and it might all be anxiety. Im only 24. :unsure:

jtw5651
15-09-18, 23:54
Yes, i have that too right now and it doesnt stop. Even after a good sleep, it’s still there. Im afraid that it might be MS related “spasticity”, because i have other MS - related symptoms even tho my MRI is clear and it might all be anxiety. Im only 24. :unsure:

I am sorry to hear. Have you tried taking Magnesium supplements?

AfraidofMS
16-09-18, 14:10
I am sorry to hear. Have you tried taking Magnesium supplements?

No i havent. I might tried them. Are yours getting better? Anything that helps?

Have you been to the doctor?

jtw5651
17-09-18, 06:54
No i havent. I might tried them. Are yours getting better? Anything that helps?

Have you been to the doctor?

Had an MRI done right before this started for an unrelated issue. Had a 3 week fit of anxiety thinking I had cancer because of tingling in my face. Then not long after the MRI came back clear, I started having calf twitches, that eventually led to weird vibrating feelings in both legs, cramps in my feet, and a weird numb feeling in and around my left leg. I thought it was weakness but it hasn't affected my ability to do anything.

It's gotten better but I think it gets worse when I'm nervous? Going back to neuro for follow up on the MRI results (They did say I have a pinched nerve?)

Obviously I fear ALS and NMD the most but given my age and the fact it hasn't been (so far, at least) progressive then that's probably not a reasonable fear at this point. Hopefully. Maybe. I scare myself alot.

WorryRaptor
30-10-18, 18:08
Yes this can definitely come from anxiety.

I've had so many neuro symptoms in my life and when my health anxiety kicked into full speed about 4 years ago, I focused on every little twitch and sensation.

Your MRI came back fine. I know you mentioned leg twitching starting AFTER the MRI was done, but really, if it were something serious that was progressing to your legs, your MRI would have shown something up. It's only been a short time since then. The fact the symptoms seem to come and go is also pretty reassuring that it isn't something bad. I took a quick google on NMD and decided to click away because..you know...anxiety lol. From what I saw, it says it's really rare and is a blanket term for a lot of different neuro muscular issues.

I've had a full neuro workup, CT scans and an MRI on my head as I was convinced something was wrong too. I was terrified of MS, tumours and aneurysms. Of course, everything came back clear. I had tingling around the left side of my nostril, above my left eye and across my lips. My left arm would sometimes lose sensation (still does from time to time). I would get dreadful paints in my fingertips and toes. It terrified me and I was so sure that MRI would show something awful in my brain. They even tested me for MS and again, nothing.

My neurologist said anxiety can play havoc with your central nervous system, and she told me about functional neuralgia which is basically actual sensations that don't actually come from a physical issue. Silent migraines can also cause tingling in the face. Slight inflammation from stress can do it too. The fact you're feeling weird sensations but you're still able to actually carry out the activity you need to, usually points to something more mentally based. Your calves are probably incredibly tense from the anxiety you're feeling about this. Believe me, I've been there. I was convinced my left leg was going to fall from under me it felt so weak and numb. I was so obsessed with it, that the muscles began to ache really badly in that calf. I had subconsciously kept the muscles so tense they went into spasm and caused even more symptoms. Magnesium supplements have really helped my muscle aches and twitches by the way. It could be something simple like a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

I don't doubt that our own minds can really cause our own sensory system to react negatively, feeding into the vicious cycle of "oh there's THAT symptom, time to panic...seems it's getting worse, panic more, oh look ANOTHER symptom, better get even more anxious"!

I hope this makes you feel a little better, or at least reassured that somebody else has had weird neuro symptoms but ended up being fine.

Keep us updated on your next neuro appointment :)