PDA

View Full Version : ate old salami...how long does it keep?

cofo
10-09-18, 19:09
so i bought boar's head genoa salami sliced at the deli day before yesterday. today i ate some.
turns out, i actually got out the older salami that was already in there, and didn't know it. i had bought it 8 days ago. so, i actually ate the 8 day old sliced deli salami, not the newer one!!

how long does the sliced deli salami actually keep? i know turkey and stuff only is supposed to be 3-4 days!!

kinda freaking out...
dangit.

Fishmanpa
10-09-18, 19:11
With the amount of sodium in processed salami, I would imagine it would last through the next ice age! :shades:

Positive thoughts

Blue23Blent
10-09-18, 20:02
With the amount of sodium in processed salami, I would imagine it would last through the next ice age! :shades:

Positive thoughts

You seem very knowledgable about a lot of stuff. How old are you?

Fishmanpa
10-09-18, 20:08
You seem very knowledgable about a lot of stuff. How old are you?

Probably old enough to be your father ~lol~ I'm 59. Been through about 100 years of crap in that time though :shades:

Most of what I state is just common sense and reality. I do have a sizable knowledge of heart issues and Head and Neck cancer as I'm a survivor of both.

And btw, Boars Head Genoa Salami has 19% of your daily requirement of sodium per 2oz serving (checked the Boars Head website). That's a LOT of sodium! It's pretty easy to tell when lunch meat is going bad. Smell and taste are pretty good indicators ;)

Positive thoughts

Blue23Blent
10-09-18, 20:20
Probably old enough to be your father ~lol~ I'm 59. Been through about 100 years of crap in that time though :shades:

Most of what I state is just common sense and reality. I do have a sizable knowledge of heart issues and Head and Neck cancer as I'm a survivor of both.

And btw, Boars Head Genoa Salami has 19% of your daily requirement of sodium per 2oz serving (checked the Boars Head website). That's a LOT of sodium! It's pretty easy to tell when lunch meat is going bad. Small and taste are pretty good indicators ;)

Positive thoughts

STAY AWAY FROM BOARS HEAD GENOA SALAMI THEN!!!!

Actually you are old enough to be my Dad. :roflmao:

I'm 30 so but I have heart issues that run in my family and that's what I should worry about. I cut out red meat because of it. I don't worry about that though!

cofo
10-09-18, 21:59
thanks! hoping that the nitrates and sodium were enough to keep it safe. nothing i can really do about it now. :) it did taste really good!!! LOL

Fishmanpa
10-09-18, 22:50
Now you got me thinking about salami! ~lol~ I used to love good salami. When I was young, my dad used to bring home real Italian salami from an Italian deli (the small sticks) along with some cheese and we'd sit around eating it with crackers and spicy brown mustard while watching TV.

I know it's bad for me but I think I just might get a piece to snack on for the football game next Sunday :D

Positive thoughts and salty fat laden lunch meat!

MagpieWitch
10-09-18, 22:59
Listen, the worst that can happen is you going to the bathroom one too many times. But literally they preserve these foods so much that even when they go "bad" they don't actually go bad.

Once my mom found old milk in the fridge, like 2 weeks past expiration and was like we will make cheese out of it. She had to put 8 lemons inside to manage to like spoil it enough to become cheese.

Also eating old food increases your chance of something happening, it doesn't mean it will happen. I drink old yogurt and eat cheese that molded on the top all the time since I was a kid. It's NOT a good thing but also not deadly.

Fishmanpa
10-09-18, 23:11
I drink old yogurt and eat cheese that molded on the top all the time since I was a kid. It's NOT a good thing but also not deadly.

Sheesh kid! You have a lot of nerve fearing the things you do when you could get a wicked mean case of the poops and pukes doing that! :scared15: :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

MagpieWitch
10-09-18, 23:28
No, I do fear it now. I meant I did it a lot as a kid and teen. I did a lot of things as a kid and teen I can't imagine doing now. Now I look at expiration dates and test every food. HA turned me from absolutely careless to completely careful with everything. My friends hate how many times I returned food at restaurants cause it wasn't properly cooked.

rebelleepoque
11-09-18, 00:39
Just to check, I got some salami out of the fridge I bought at the beginning of August and its expiration date was the beginning of November! I think you are fine. :) Goes great with some smoked cheddar cheese...

MyNameIsTerry
11-09-18, 01:58
No, I do fear it now. I meant I did it a lot as a kid and teen. I did a lot of things as a kid and teen I can't imagine doing now. Now I look at expiration dates and test every food. HA turned me from absolutely careless to completely careful with everything. My friends hate how many times I returned food at restaurants cause it wasn't properly cooked.

Dates are a guide. Out of the dates te only ones to pay attention to are the safety ones which are Use By in the UK. Our Best Before dates are meaningless as they purely a measure of guaranteed quality and lets face it, what manufacturer can predict that successfully when these dates can be many months ahead...and it's not like everything just spoils minutes after it's date stamp (bacteria can't read :biggrin:).

I eat yoghurt over a week out of date. The same with cheese. If you look at food advice they say the old taste it, smell it, how does it look, etc are more important than even the health Use By dates. Quite simply you can eat something within that date that has already spoiled, which I've spotted with meat or yoghurt in the past. But there are stricter rules about things like shellfish.

Been eating yoghurt & cheese weeks out of date for years and no problems. A bit of mold on hard cheese can be cut off but in a potted soft cheese I wouldn't use it the same as I wouldn't if I saw it floating in yoghurt. Mold smells a certain way so it's often easy to spot. Yoghurt tends to go more acidic the more it is left after the dates but mold smell/taste sticks out a mile.

Modern day reliance on manufacturers has trained generations of people to forget food common sense. And this is one of the reasons why we have people trying to stop food poverty as we are throwing tons of stuff away for nothing.

Carlton
11-09-18, 17:33
Salami is a meat that is processed in such a way as to maintain a long viability. The history of it is that it was created to keep meat preserved and good to eat for a long time, meaning in using the curing process that is used to make it. We're talking a meat process that goes back to Roman times, if not before.