PDA

View Full Version : managing panic

red100
19-08-07, 09:46
Hi All,

1 way i manage the panic is by focusing on something worse!

for example; if i panic in a supermarket i dont focus afterwards on my fear of it happening again in the supermarket but on my fear of being unable to go out, this drives me back to the supermarket again and again.

does anyone else do this?
Red100

PUGLETMUM
19-08-07, 10:00
:D hi red,

no im not sure i do this exactly, but i will ask myself what is the worst thing that could happen and is it very likely? and one way ive helped myself over the years is to motivate myself with the thought that i could be wasting my last day alive on anxiety and panic!!! at times its worked at others it hasnt, but all these little ways of thinking are brill because they are getting you away from the feeling of being swamped and run by anxiety, so whatever works for you just keep doing it!!:yesyes:

red100
27-08-07, 11:27
Thanks emmas

Its weird the things we do to beat this thing!
The other thing i do if i'm panicking is to tell myself that what i fear happening isn't a bad thing but actually a good thing e.g.
If i'm panicking in the supermarket, i start to tell myself that collapsing here is a good thing because it means i'll get to sit down, the nice shop assistants will bring me a coffee and that i wont have to join the horrendous queue at the checkout etc etc. I really see this in my mind, and see myself as all relaxed and happy surrounded by caring shop assistants etc!!!! for some absurd reason when i do this the panic just melts away - reality doesn't seem to have to play a part in it, i just have to tell myself this stuff and see myself relaxed about the outcome --- weird or what!

Red100