PDA

View Full Version : Vomitting

Scaredtoolong
31-10-03, 15:09
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has/had a real problem with nausea and vomitting. I seem to really be having a hard time with this. Also, seems like when I do I also have an "urgent" bowel movement just before or right after. Thanks Susan

Mich
31-10-03, 15:25
Is the Nasea/Vomiting at the same time as a panic/anxiety attack?

Scaredtoolong
31-10-03, 17:04
Yes, it pretty much is. Thanks again.

Meg
31-10-03, 17:11
Hi Susan,

The urgency is about your adrenaline kicking in and readying the body for action. This can be the case with any stress levels where you start secreting bits of adrenaline.

The nausea used to come right after the tummy muscles heavily contracted or if I was worrying about something for a while and as it it came closer I got more worried.

I eventually found that most of this was about inadvertently swallowing air. Swigs of fizzy drinks helped enormously. I went through gallons of tonic water.

The vomiting happened when I forced myself to eat a meal whilst very tense or if I didn't burp up the air.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Scaredtoolong
31-10-03, 17:14
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your guidance. This is a most comforting site. You are all wonderful. GOD Bless, Susan

Mich
31-10-03, 22:37
Hi Susan
When I first started having Panic attacks I was vomiting quite often, now I just feel like vomiting but dont actually do it, thats because I now know whats wrong with me and as I am trying to control the attacks the sickly feeling wears away.

I too found that drinking a full glass of carbonated spring water down in one would make me burp and then feel much better!! try it!!

Take Care
Michelle

benoo5
01-11-03, 00:50
susan,
just a thought,have you tried a really good antacid,a friend of mine is a pharmacist in a hospital,and would mix me up a medication called aludrox....alluminiumhydroxide...ime not sure if this is readily available to you,but it really helped me,after the paddington train crash(london)...you will knock down doors burping after one dose...any good antacid will do the same...take care..bryan

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 20:16
Bryan

I swear by Alka-seltzer - sorts all sorts of problems out for me!!

Nicola

Scaredtoolong
01-11-03, 22:59
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your posts. It really is nice to have a support system here. I would like to say that I have tried the "fizzy" drinks and it has helped. In fact today is the first day that I did not vomit or even feel any nausea. AND>>>>no urgent bowel trouble this morning either!!!!

A special thanks here to Meg. I really believe that your advice and guidance was a turning point for me. I went to the grocery store today....by myself...and didn't run out. I actually purchased items even though I started to hyperventilate and my heart was pounding. I did it!! I must admit that I am reall proud of this accomplishment.

Thanks again, to EVERYONE!!! I truly believe now that this is something we can beat.

Susan

Meg
01-11-03, 23:46
Dear Susan,

Hurrah ...... Hurrah. Time to celebrate. Well done you- Susan. Excellent.

Now you need to go and do it again tomorrow and the next day and come back and tell us how that is feeling now.

If you get a wobble - remind yourself what a great achievement you did today and smile hard at yourself- and at others.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
02-11-03, 12:14
Susan

I am so pleased that you did it - well done. I am glad the fizzy drinks worked too.

Just one thing I wanted to say on fizzy drinks - I love Lucozade (the fizzy one) but read the ingredients yesterday and it contains CAFFEINE. I gave caffeine up 3 years ago and was aware it was in coke but not in Lucozade. So watch out for the ingredients, just a thought ....

Nicola

Meg
02-11-03, 15:33
Hi Nic,

I would be just as concerned for the massive sugar hit that surges through you when you have lucozade.

Meg

nomorepanic
03-11-03, 22:51
Meg

I have never noticed that as a problem to be honest. I always thought that a bit of sugar would be good. No side-effects so far but I am cutting the lucozade down cos of the caffeine.

Nicola

TheGodSplinter
04-11-03, 08:12
Hi...

I suffer from severe emetophobia (upchuckophobia?) and I have, now, for around 20 years. My entire life has been swung around to aim for a reduced likelihood of throwing up, or even of feeling nausea.

There are meds that your doc could be giving you (stand-by drugs; not daily-takers), but, in some cases, docs are reluctant to prescribe them. The meds best applied are Stemetil (mostly used as a muscle relaxant) and Maxolon (which accelerates your stomach's emptying) both of which can be the end of nausea and vomiting.

My doc wouldn't give me what I needed (Stemetil), so I went to see a referral psychologist and spent months explaining to him how my social life would take off far more healthily if I felt it to be safe to mix with people, again. He wrote a letter to my doc and my doc had a prescription ready, for Stemetil, for me, within a day or so. It's a shame, though, that the doctor didn't believe me without the aid of a psychologist. Doctors appear unable to see that anxiety sufferers very often have staggeringly good insights into what they require, to make their lives easier to live. If more doctors suffered from panic attacks, our own suffering of anxiety/panic attacks would become less, and shorter-lived.

There are other tricks you can pull on your nervous system to reduce the chances of nausea turning into vomiting.

1. Heat application to the part of the abdomen immediately behind the navel (scrambles the nervous signals before they can reach the brain and, therefore, stop the brain from sending "throw up" signals back.) This is a centuries-known, "old wives'" way of dealing with children with upset stomachs.

2. Massive input of fresh oxygen (open windows are all you need, for this.) Don't use speed, just use capacity. The last thing that you want, now, is to hyperventilate...just to increase your blood-oxygen level.

3. Burping through clenched teeth, with your head leaning back, and your tongue very still, makes it almost impossible to create an unwanted throwing up session during a frightening nausea.

4. And, believe it or not, you can actually "FOOL" your gastro-intestinal system into thinking that you've already thrown up and that it can relax, now. The problem is...this one is not safe for severe emetophobes, so I'll just glance off it. BY DELIBERATELY MAKING YOURSELF DO SMALL "ALLOWED" RETCHINGS, WHEN IN A SITUATION IN WHICH YOU ARE *SURE* YOU'RE GOING TO THROW UP, SOON...you can actually fool your body's defence mechanism into thinking that the throwing up has been done. Seriously! (Even some British S.A.S. personnel are taught this, because their lives may depend on not leaving behind them the smell of vomit for trackers/dogs to pick up on.) The result is that the body's "empty this stomach, now!" signals are sent further and further apart because it's convinced that your vomit has already left. (This effect is half of the reason why burping has such a good effect in the reduction of nausea!)

5. The 5th is simpler, but is not always a good idea, unless you are utterly convinced that you are about to throw up, in which case you have nothing to lose, trying it. One pint of very warm water (another belly heat source, also) taken in, gradually, for as long as you can hold off your vomiting. This has the effect of gently opening the sphincter at the bottom of the stomach, even a fraction earlier than it normally would. Then, the disturbance, in your stomach, slowly makes its way out, through that sphincter and is far less likely to be thrown up, or is less throwing up to do. The other benefit of this pint of warm water is that, should vomiting happen, you have a better chance of properly clearing the stomach contents in one, or two, bursts. And, the water weakens the stomach acid and reduces throat-burn on the day and on the day after that. (I imagine there would be no reason not to add some Sodium BiCarbonate to the water...even just a pinch that is so small, it's impossib