PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch 4 and Health Anxiety

Jack4440
12-09-18, 18:24
Just watched the new press for the new Apple watch and it now allows you to do your own ECG on demand straight from the watch using your finger....... My advice to myself and others?

STAY AWAY!!!!!!! DONT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

lol serious tho ..... This is a dangerous road for hypochondriacs.

katniss
12-09-18, 18:36
Lol!! That’s hilarious! A bunch of hypochondriacs doing their ECGs on demand. The image is funny. But I’m sure for people with heart conditions this can be a great thing to have. Although I do wonder how accurate it is. Surely you can’t get as accurate of a reading as a regular ECG machine. If so, this can certainly be more problematic than helpful.

Jack4440
12-09-18, 18:38
Well apparently it is FDA approved and also they had the president of American heart association approve it and it's accuracy. Sounds pretty solid but terrible for us worriers lol. Image is funny though haha

lofwyr
12-09-18, 18:39
I have a very nice Samsung Gear3 watch, and it is reasonably accurate most of the time. I do have a heart issue I do need to keep an eye on, so checking my O2 meter and pulse rate occasionally are a good thing, but I learned not long after diagnosis not to check it all the time. I have done well with it, now checking it maybe five times a week, during exercise etc.

ankietyjoe
12-09-18, 18:58
they had the president of American heart association approve it

They also approved trans fats and very high carbohydrate diets which are proven to be link to diabetes.

Crooked organisation that approves for money. It's not more credible than a Youtube 'influencer'.

trickha
12-09-18, 19:16
My first thought was - this isn't for me.

Jack4440
12-09-18, 19:33
They also approved trans fats and very high carbohydrate diets which are proven to be link to diabetes.

Crooked organisation that approves for money. It's not more credible than a Youtube 'influencer'.

The point I'm making is that this ability is bad for people with a health anxiety. It will become an ocd and increase in Dr visits mostly for unnecessary reasons. So your conspiracy theories need not apply :-P

ankietyjoe
12-09-18, 19:44
It's not a conspiracy theory. It's actual fact. :doh:

A company has to pay a fee for AHA approval, in other words the AHA approves products for money.

It's widely publicised that plenty of their guidelines and approved products are laughably un-good for you.

Jack4440
12-09-18, 19:48
It's not a conspiracy theory. It's actual fact. :doh:

A company has to pay a fee for AHA approval, in other words the AHA approves products for money.

It's widely publicised that plenty of their guidelines and approved products are laughably un-good for you.

You're the kind of person that also thinks cancer treatment is a scam and their hiding the cure ....
I'll not get into a debate, we will agree to disagree. :)

ankietyjoe
12-09-18, 20:25
You're the kind of person that also thinks cancer treatment is a scam and their hiding the cure ....

Erm, no. You're the kind of person that implies that anybody that doesn't agree with you is a tin foil hat wearing lunatic.

Dropping a thinly disguised insult whilst proclaiming that you won't get into a debate is just passive aggressive nonsense.

ErinKC
12-09-18, 22:11
I'm with you andietyjoe! Special interest (beef industry, sugar industry, corn industry, etc...) has a huge influence over health guidance issued from the AHA and others. Lobbyist are good at their jobs.

Phill2
13-09-18, 02:14
Just watched the new press for the new Apple watch and it now allows you to do your own ECG on demand straight from the watch using your finger....... My advice to myself and others?

STAY AWAY!!!!!!! DONT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

lol serious tho ..... This is a dangerous road for hypochondriacs.

Couldn't agree more!

jray23
13-09-18, 04:21
It's amazing how far technology is getting, I don't know about this particular product but I do believe they can get to that point of accuracy if it's not already there.

I believe that because I kid you all not, just a month ago I was given an EKG (I think we are talking about the same test) by putting my two index fingers on two metal plates stuck to the back of an iPad! I could see the graph right on the screen I was holding as it measured! This was at a highly esteemed doctor's office (for my inner ear/balance issue, guess it was part of their new patient process) so it must be medically accurate!

But yes, agreed, I think most people in our shoes should stay away from that kind of easy access to "temptation"!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

hazelbritt
13-09-18, 09:09
My husband was just telling me about this watch this morning. His words: "this would be the worst thing ever for you!"

ankietyjoe
13-09-18, 10:10
I'm with you andietyjoe! Special interest (beef industry, sugar industry, corn industry, etc...) has a huge influence over health guidance issued from the AHA and others. Lobbyist are good at their jobs.

We must both be conspiracy theorists :whistles:

lofwyr
13-09-18, 13:29
We must both be conspiracy theorists :whistles:

Their costs for providing certification for a product are available through their website, they aren't even subtle about it.

To put the label on your product, you have to pay "administrative fees." That would be understandable, assuming the fees were a flat fee for all comers to pay for lab testing etc, but they are not. The bigger the product, the bigger the fee. So Apple will pay thousands for an endorsement for the new watch, while someone making a smaller product will pay less. The more of your product you intend to sell, the more your licensing costs. It must be renewed each year. None of this is conspiracy theory, it is information readily available on their own website.

I am not saying the AHA doesn't do some good, but I have seen products, especially in the breakfast cereal isle, that are really unhealthy with their endorsement on them. And I am not saying the new watch won't be accurate, just don't take claims as fact.

My best friend is a doctor in Europe who works for a major pharmaceutical company who I will not name so I don't get him in trouble. But 90% of his job is telling the marketing department that they cannot put their outrageous claims on the product packaging. Be smart, advocate for yourself, and do some research any time you consider using a new product that might or might not exacerbate health issues, real or imagined.

ankietyjoe
13-09-18, 14:56
Their costs for providing certification for a product are available through their website, they aren't even subtle about it.

To put the label on your product, you have to pay "administrative fees." That would be understandable, assuming the fees were a flat fee for all comers to pay for lab testing etc, but they are not. The bigger the product, the bigger the fee. So Apple will pay thousands for an endorsement for the new watch, while someone making a smaller product will pay less. The more of your product you intend to sell, the more your licensing costs. It must be renewed each year. None of this is conspiracy theory, it is information readily available on their own website.

I am not saying the AHA doesn't do some good, but I have seen products, especially in the breakfast cereal isle, that are really unhealthy with their endorsement on them. And I am not saying the new watch won't be accurate, just don't take claims as fact.

My best friend is a doctor in Europe who works for a major pharmaceutical company who I will not name so I don't get him in trouble. But 90% of his job is telling the marketing department that they cannot put their outrageous claims on the product packaging. Be smart, advocate for yourself, and do some research any time you consider using a new product that might or might not exacerbate health issues, real or imagined.

I agree with all of this. It's actual fact that the AHA has given extraordinarily bad information in the past, and an endorsement is meaningless. This is an organisation that told people that trans fats were good for you, for decades. They still claim saturated fat is bad when ALL the evidence shows it's not. It's not just isolated incidents either, it's repeated bad (or very bad) advice over the years.

I'm sure it started out being an attempt to promote good health, but now it's just a money machine where facts tend not to mean that much.

Pea Tear Griffin
13-09-18, 19:26
I said the same thing to my family when they watched the preview I said I'd be staying away for sure.

jray23
17-09-18, 14:12
Whilst browsing the morning financial market news, I came across this. Looks like the medical world agrees with our conclusion!!

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/apple-watch-wants-to-monitor-your-hearts-health-and-cardiologists-say-it-could-make-you-worry-instead-2018-09-13

(hmmm... the website is market. watch. Guess there's a combo of letters in there that the built in censor doesn't like! [emoji1787][emoji1787])

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

lofwyr
17-09-18, 18:05
I would hate to be a cardiologist in the near term.