PDA

View Full Version : Fearing Emphysema

OnlyRevolutions
13-09-18, 00:57
So I’ve been worrying myself sick thinking I might have emphysema at age 28 even though I don’t smoke cigarettes. Occasionally, I’ve smoked pot, but these symptoms started during a month in which I barely indulged. In fact the biggest difference when this chest discomfort started is that Inhad started running a 9 minute mile almost every day. This wasn’t something I did before. Sure, I exercised, but never tried to achieve any kind of consistent running time, esepcially not that long.

I’ve been having a burning sensation in my chest, the congestion kind—not heartburn. The doctor took an x-ray and listened to my chest, remarking on congestion and wheezing. He referred me to a pulmonary doctor whom I will see Monday to check for asthma.

The pain hasn’t been every second, and advil/warm compresses on my chest help. It has been there every day now for a few weeks now. There is a dry cough that comes and goes, not really productive though.

I definitely have been trying to not exert myself. I'm not constantly out of breath, but strenuous exercise is not even crossing my mind.

I'm scared that even though I'm 28 and don't smoke (though I did a few years in college, but still nothing close to a pack a day or even a week), that I have emphysema and will have to live a short life. I keep trying to tell myself that it could be something else, that it could be pleurisy, but I keep coming back to thoughts of emphysema. I've been so afraid since I've never felt this before, especially not this long. I'm doubtful it's asthma since I haven't even been exercising the past few days, because exercise makes it worse.

Could it be something else or is it most definitely emphysema that I finally brought out of dormancy because of higher-intensity cardio than I ever did before?