PDA

View Full Version : Brain eating amoeba fear

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 03:44
Hello! I posted a while back with fears about ALS. Well tonight I am posting about a new fear. I have been terrified of getting a brain eating amoeba for the last 5 years, avoiding water most of the time and having panic episodes when water enters my nose at any time, even in the shower. Well 2 days ago I decided to swim in my in laws pool for like the 2nd time this year (I rarely get in because of my fear) and tried not to get water in my nose. Well of course it does go up my nose. All the way up and to the back of my throat where I swallowed it. I was immediately struck by terror. And I knew I had 2 weeks of panic because that is how long it can take for symptoms to present. Well today, 2 days after I was exposed, i am now presenting a fever. It's hovering around 99.2 to 99.9 and I just feel groggy. My head isn't really hurting but it doesn't feel great and I feel nauseous. I have basically accepted my death but also still holding out hope the fever goes away. If it goes over 100 I'm going to the hospital. Has anyone else gotten water in your nose and has this fear? Thanks in advance for any responses. Also for reference I live in the southern US, the pool was maintained well and water was chilly....

jray23
13-09-18, 04:11
Think of it this way, you successfully faced your fear and got in the water, that is deserving of some congratulations. When two weeks have passed and you see that you're fine, you'll have more ammo to smash your fear even harder in the future!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

NervUs
13-09-18, 04:12
OK, deep breath.

A fever of 100 isn't hospital worthy. I get it, you feel like you've been exposed. But, you are letting your imagination run wild, even though a fever of 100 is not an indication that you have this amoeba and frankly will get you sent home (probably with jokes made at your expense the rest of the day). HA means you have to maintain your wits and put limits on how far you will let yourself get carried away. Having a plan to go to the hospital is just miring you in this fear further.

Most likely, you have a run of the mill cold. I just got over one, and it seems to be going around. If you start getting bizarre symptoms (like cognitive impairment, searing headache, stiff neck, light sensitivity), that is a different story. But, a fever of 100 is so far from that, it' not even funny.

I'm sorry you're going through this, I really am. I am a zoonotic disease fearer, and have put myself on the symptom countdown multiple times. About half the time, I (or my kids, b/c they've been "exposed" too) come down with something. It's Murphy's Law, right? It doesn't make it easy but, instead of looking for a reason to go to the hospital, make a point to recognize the reasons not to- i.e. mostly likely you will start to get better, symptoms will let up, you will see the sickness you have is not any different than any other sickness you've ever had). Looking for that evidence will help get you out of this panic state.

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 04:21
Thanks you guys. Just speaking to someone right now is helpful. Still running a fever, no other symptoms. I always have to fear the diseases that have 0 survival rate. Staying up tonight to monitor temp. And any other symptoms. Probably a bad idea but I really can't sleep. And my husband is kinda pissed at me about it too...

AMomentofClarity
13-09-18, 04:33
There’s absolutely no way in the world. If it happened in a warm, stagnant pond, there might be a .0001% chance or something. But in a treated pool it’s literally impossible.
Also, anything under 100.4 isn’t even really considered a fever.

MyNameIsTerry
13-09-18, 04:50
Think of it this way, you successfully faced your fear and got in the water, that is deserving of some congratulations. When two weeks have passed and you see that you're fine, you'll have more ammo to smash your fear even harder in the future!

I agree with this. You could have avoided your fear and that would only increase it's importance to your subconscious that it is realistic.

But when you confront the trigger it may not be a positive experience. Some find they feel a sense of achievement but others are hit by the fear and struggle. I think it's expected that the anxiety will try it's tricks on you, whether it's the day after even if you felt great from facing a fear, so we have to be realistic and accept that it takes time to change what we've taught our subconscious to be fearful off.

So, keep going. But look at your response to these confrontations. For instance, you are now falling back into the trap with monitoring. Exposure needs to be about repetition but also about how we react. If we don't try to tackle our compulsions we are limiting our breakthroughs. This isn't easy to change but you it's worth finding your compulsions and planning to eliminate them.

Exposure work is hard and it's needs a structured plan to attack not only the main fear itself, and the compulsions, but how we respond and also it needs to address the underlying cause (the latter being what the therapist tries to plan for, think of it a petals on a flower, the therapist knows peeling away a petal doesn't solve the problem so aims a bit deeper).

NervUs
13-09-18, 04:50
Staying up tonight to monitor temp. And any other symptoms. Probably a bad idea but I really can't sleep.

Challenge yourself to NOT monitor. There's no need to do that. If you get it, it will be obvious. All of the people and their families who got it were blindsided by it, didn't even know what it was, and figured out they needed a hospital. You really don't need to live any differently than you normally. Again, by looking out for symptoms, you are teaching your brain that this fear is legitimate, but it's not. Tell your brain who's boss! Live like you won't get the amoeba and this fear might dissipate, now and in the future.

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 05:02
Nervus thank you that is amazing advice. I know that if I DID have it I'd only have days and I need to focus on my sons in that time. But I also know deep down I'm okay. There is just a ghost or monster inside of me that won't let me completely shake the terror. It's not logical, highly improbable, and I have done much riskier things in riskier waters all through my life and been okay. I don't know if I'll ever shake the fear but the least i can do is wear nose plugs from now on to avoid these attacks.

jray23
13-09-18, 05:05
....I always have to fear the diseases that have 0 survival rate...

I don't know your fear history but I do know that you currently have a 100% survival rate on every fear you've had! I tell myself that for encouragement sometimes too. :)

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 12:16
Yep! Good point. I feel like I'm gonna die almost every day but this is a fear exacerbated by an actual tangible symptom, that can't be explained another way. I always looked for fever or head pain when I was panicking about possibly having the brain eating amoeba but nothing ever happened. Now I actually have a fever and it's like the nail in my coffin right now...

---------- Post added at 03:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

Temp is gone but this brain of mine has me convinced it'll come back and I'm still in danger. It's just crazy how logic can escape you when you suffer from health anxiety... wouldn't wish these feelings on anyone

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 ----------

Now I woke up nauseated, no fever or bad headache but of course to me this is a symptom. But I have gotten sick in the mornings just because my stomach has issues. That mixed with my terror is probably causing this.

hazelbritt
13-09-18, 15:03
Yep! Good point. I feel like I'm gonna die almost every day but this is a fear exacerbated by an actual tangible symptom, that can't be explained another way.

A fever can't be explained any other way other than brain eating amoeba?
That is anxiety lying to you.

paranoid-viking
13-09-18, 16:19
A fever can't be explained any other way other than brain eating amoeba?
That is anxiety lying to you.

I am speechless. That is all I can say about this.

OP, what are you doing to combat your anxiety?

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Thanks you guys. Just speaking to someone right now is helpful. Still running a fever, no other symptoms. I always have to fear the diseases that have 0 survival rate. Staying up tonight to monitor temp. And any other symptoms. Probably a bad idea but I really can't sleep. And my husband is kinda pissed at me about it too...

Yes, our irrational anxiety can really be upsetting to those people close to us. I know everything about that. And, to be quite frank, your behaviour on this IS irational. You need to seek out help for your anxiety as soon as possible. HA is the problem, not this imaginary X Files amoeba.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

I don't know your fear history but I do know that you currently have a 100% survival rate on every fear you've had! I tell myself that for encouragement sometimes too. :)

Everyone who fears rabies and brain eating amoeba on this forums have a 100% survival rate.

I am surpised I have not seen lepra threads here aswell but I guess there must have been at least some during this forums history. And I know there were quite a lot of ebola threads here during the last outbreak in Africa. Even a bubonic plague thread. HA is a very creative condition, that is for sure.

MagpieWitch
13-09-18, 19:39
I might end your fears prematurely here, but a fever of 100 is not brain eating amoeba.
Don't ever think about it.
Amoeba comes with strong headache, instant fever over 103 and other meningitis symptoms. It acts really fast, all people that caught it were rushed to the hospital instantly. It's not a slow killer.
If you are still here then you don't have it. It's probably some bug and you will feel good again in no time!

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 21:04
I completely agree about needing help. The crippling effect these fears have on me is ruining my life. I have just been on my phone trying to distract myself all day and jumping at every pain. I'm even still checking my temp occasionally.. I still believe I have it even though I promised myself I would stop believing it once my fever was gone. I need professional help...

MagpieWitch
13-09-18, 21:18
I know this feeling because I have it. I constantly check my temperature and I trap myself in the cycle. It's easy to tell you but I wish I could tell myself.
Still I am telling you, the amoeba symptoms don't come on gradually they come instantly and are merciless. Please if you can just don't google it and try distracting yourself with anything other than amoebas and the such.

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 22:10
I have been checking again and have a temp again. Just at 99.2 or so now but I don't know why this is happening. I've been fine all day long.

AMomentofClarity
13-09-18, 22:21
I have been checking again and have a temp again. Just at 99.2 or so now but I don't know why this is happening. I've been fine all day long.

Stop checking your temp. 99.2 is not even close to being a “fever”, it could easily be within the margin of error of your thermometer. You do not have BEA....it’s literally impossible to get it from a chlorinated swimming pool. You’re just driving yourself mad with all of the checking and monitoring for no reason.

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 22:41
I know but my neck is kinda feeling stiff too now and I feel like other victims were not even thinking about having the disease so they weren't checking temps like me and maybe they were gradually getting sicker like this but didn't notice it cause it hasn't gotten bad yet. Plus my sons and husband have used the thermometer repeatedly and it was consistently normal for them

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Can anyone link other posts of BRA on my thread. I can't search on mobile.

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

***BEA

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Up to 100 now

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Please respond someone I'm alone with my two boys none of my family is answering their phones

MagpieWitch
13-09-18, 23:07
Hey it's going to be okay! Just breathe.
They weren't unaware, the other victims. They got such terrible headaches that they knew its wrong. They were burning up. My grandfather had meningitis (not amoeba) and he got bad in an hour and my parents rushed him to the ER.
It doesnt come gradually. I know this fear. I have it but if it makes you feel better I am here. Nothing is going to happen.
You cant get the amoeba from water going in your nostril once in a chlorinated pool. You wont be able to text here if you had amoeba symptoms. You just have a mild fever. It can be a bug or something. Theres also a chance to be stress or if you are near your period. A lot of factors that are NOT amoeba.

Mommyof2boys
13-09-18, 23:12
Thank you. I did find it weird that it was low all day and came back up again tonight. That's how my kids are when they're sick though, have fevers at night and then are fine all day.

Fishmanpa
13-09-18, 23:19
Thank you. I did find it weird that it was low all day and came back up again tonight. That's how my kids are when they're sick though, have fevers at night and then are fine all day.

You just said what I was going to respond with.

Positive thoughts