PDA

View Full Version : HA getting worse when you are older??

Malsais
13-09-18, 04:47
Does HA increase as you get older? As you are getting older the probability of getting ill is higher, will it contribute to elevate your HA?

Im afraid my HA will get worse as i get older

lofwyr
13-09-18, 04:51
My HA got a lot better as I got older. You have to work at it, but if you work at it, you collect a lot of coping tools.

I am so much better, I get actual diagnosis and they don't really freak me out much at all, not compared to my imagined ailments when I was young.

jray23
13-09-18, 05:10
That's one of my concerns at this point in my progress. At a healthy 36, I've learned that I can use age to my advantage as a potential reframing tool in my arsenal, but I wonder how I will fare when that is no longer a reasonable counter-argument down the road! The good thing is that's a long way off so I can procrastinate on that worry for now!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

unsure_about_this
13-09-18, 08:50
My HA got worst as it got older

Malsais
13-09-18, 19:21
I feel that when I was younger, im not as sensitive as this but now everything seems so real and makes mo more vulnerable : (

megan91
13-09-18, 19:24
I always tell my husband I jokily tell my husband I'm going to be a basket case as I age because the chances for everything increases also. I'm 27 right now so hopefully I have some time to work on this anxiety. Let's hope I'm wrong haha.

Carlton
14-09-18, 21:26
Mine is definitely getting worse as I age. I didn't have it much at all as a younger man and teenager. I worried about things, but not my health. I worried a lot about Nuclear War in the 80's as a teenage boy. But now it's all HA all the time. Mainly because I know I will die eventually as there is no stopping it, and I have my daughter and knowing how it will affect her. I just want to make it to when she's an adult...then maybe I won't care so much. That's another 10 years away. It's the most horrible thing.

lofwyr
14-09-18, 23:30
Honestly, what made it better for me as I aged is something many will probably not want to hear, but I accepted my own mortality. I know that I am over the half way mark now, and sooner or later something will kill me. And while I don't want to die, I have acknowledged it as natural as being born, and I want to live for the moments I have left, not for the end of it all.

Once I accepted that, not just paid it lip service, but truly, deep down, accepted it, it was like a weight came off my shoulders. It allowed me to live in the moment for the first time since I was 17 or so, which is contrary to everything inside the younger anxiety ridden me.

My kids are grown, my house is paid off. If I went tomorrow, sure it would suck, but life would go on for those I care about.

Note this does not mean I am not scared to die. Biologically, we are programmed to live and to want to live. I do not seek it out. I take care of my mind (as best I can) and my body by eating well, getting exercise, and no longer skipping the annual physical. But living in fear of every pain, every tweak, every twinge is exhausting.

I carry on like I will live forever, because it is what we do, even if we won't. Try to accept the "now," and not the "what-ifs." Easier said than done, but that was the key to coming as close to being recovered as I have ever been.

Malsais
15-09-18, 05:41
Honestly, what made it better for me as I aged is something many will probably not want to hear, but I accepted my own mortality. I know that I am over the half way mark now, and sooner or later something will kill me. And while I don't want to die, I have acknowledged it as natural as being born, and I want to live for the moments I have left, not for the end of it all.

Once I accepted that, not just paid it lip service, but truly, deep down, accepted it, it was like a weight came off my shoulders. It allowed me to live in the moment for the first time since I was 17 or so, which is contrary to everything inside the younger anxiety ridden me.

My kids are grown, my house is paid off. If I went tomorrow, sure it would suck, but life would go on for those I care about.

Note this does not mean I am not scared to die. Biologically, we are programmed to live and to want to live. I do not seek it out. I take care of my mind (as best I can) and my body by eating well, getting exercise, and no longer skipping the annual physical. But living in fear of every pain, every tweak, every twinge is exhausting.

I carry on like I will live forever, because it is what we do, even if we won't. Try to accept the "now," and not the "what-ifs." Easier said than done, but that was the key to coming as close to being recovered as I have ever been.

That is a beautiful thing to say, thank you