PDA

View Full Version : Claire Weekes

bobdriscoll
19-08-07, 13:45
Her writing is the biggest waste of time ever, how does this drivel get published?

Can anyone suggest anything else to help with anxiety/depression/panic?

It is destroying my life.

With warm and heartfelt thanks

Bob Driscoll esq

kate
19-08-07, 14:23
Hi Bob and welcome.

Loads on here swear by Claire Weekes. For myself, I was never impressed, never helped me at all. But, hey, we are all different :D

Are you receiving any counselling or on any medication?

Kate

beadbabe
19-08-07, 17:17
Hi there
Can't stand her stuff either.
Try The anxiety and phobia workbook by Edmond Bourne. It is a huge book and has lots of different approaches to try from holistic to medication. I have found this the most thorough book. Info on nutrition and relaxation and none of it is crackpot.

You have to be committed to work through and improve with a book - have you seen someone to talk to face to face.

I know how you feel though - my life has been ruined for two years so far with this and it's the symptoms that spoil everything.

Good luck

Jaco45er
19-08-07, 19:52
hmmmm

manmoor
19-08-07, 20:49
Oh Bob I'm a massive fan of Claire Weekes and have 2 of her books on my bedside table and they are my bibles lol.

woofybaby
19-08-07, 20:52
For depression:

'Climbing out of depression' by Sue Atkinson.

Best book I have ever come across - easy to read, broken down into manageable chunks, full of practical advice and written by someone who suffers from anxiety and depression.

It is quite 'spiritual' in places but that doesn't really matter as the whole book is excellent.

Really, really, really recommend it......:yesyes:

Claire Weekes really works for some people - Personally I didn't it that useful, but I always assumed that it was mainly because I suffer more from depression and my panic attacks are usually related to depressive states.

If you're going through counselling, a really good book to help you (and your loved ones) understand is a book called 'Counselling for Toads' - it is a pastiche of Wind in the Willows and Toad is depressed. Again, it is nice and easy to read.

andy2020
20-08-07, 08:45
yep i agree she does talk a load of pants £25 quid of my money wasted i guess i just bought her petrol for the week lol,

andy

michellemumof4
20-08-07, 09:08
I got to admit i adore claire weeks god bless her, and recommend her to all.

She was a ex sufferer who tells it how it is plain and simple, her floating advise helped me recover, she talks about accepting which I belive is the only true way of dealing with your problems

Sorry you guys didnt like her , but i feel i got to defend the girl.

As another poster said her books became my bibles and was the first thing I packed when I went on me hols

take care all xxxxxx

Alabasterlyn
20-08-07, 09:54
I think Claire Weekes was great. She was probably one of the first doctors to write such great self help books back in the 70's when other doctors just ignored the condition.

I think people forget just how long her books have been around. Of course today's books are full of different advice but when I sit and listen to Claire Weekes and then to Lucinda Bassett it's quite clear to me that most of what the latter says had already been said by the brilliant Claire Weekes 30yrs before, bless her.

debera
20-08-07, 13:13
i have two of claire weekes books. i think they are great. they are also by my bedside. she does make alot of sense. her books have helped me greatley. i only wish she was still around to publish more books.
debera

beadbabe
20-08-07, 18:08
This thread isn't meant to be a debate about who likes Claire Weekes or not (are you guys all on commission or something?) The man was asking for other reference books to help him.

Also how many of you are better after reading Claire Weekes - you are all on this website still. and Claire weekes still suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, despite her writings!

If it was as easy as 'floating past our feelings' we would all be better.

There is a lot more to suffering from anxiety and panic attacks than that - it is a very complex issue and you may need to plough through a host of books before you find a host of tips that work together for the individual.

Still think she is rubbish though.

Jaco45er
20-08-07, 18:23
Commission?

I think when someone calls a respected author's work drivel, and a waste, then they need to expect a reaction from others who feel strongly in favour of her works.

It's horses for courses but such attacks are going to be defended ;), all in a constructive way of course.

And as far as self help books go, I think she is up there with the best, but self-help books require time and homework, some people are just not ready for that.

Jaco

rosekay
20-08-07, 18:54
Claire Weekes - she's helped me soooo much! Talks real sense and in a no-nonsense, easy to understand way. I can't praise her enough!
Rosekay :yesyes:

manmoor
20-08-07, 18:55
Ohh Beadbabe please forgive me :wacko: Please feel free to send commission courtesy of Manmoor at nmp

Thank You

Donna lmao lol. xx

Alabasterlyn
20-08-07, 19:01
I can remember a time when my panic was so bad and my agoraphobia so severe that I couldn't even get out into the back garden to hang out the laundry. The only way I could manage it was by using my walkman with my trusty Claire Weekes tape in and that was the only thing that helped me.

I have read countless books on anxiety and have found a lot of them are hard to read, which is why I like to listen to tapes rather than sit and trawl through a book. When my anxiety is high I can't concentrate on reading usually, but I always found the Claire Weekes books very easy to read.

As for other books or tapes that are helpful, all I can think of is the David Burns CBT book. I have lots of others but I've never been able to get into them.

clickaway
20-08-07, 19:52
Well, it's horses for courses really.

I personally found Claire Weekes helpful - I just used to pick up and read a bit when I was feeling so scared of the symptoms.

A friend suggested a Louise Hay book which I found rubbish, yet it sells well!

And Lolly, that was a good one - I hope my attacks stop by the time I meet St. Peter! :)

honeybee3939
20-08-07, 19:57
Hi

Im another Claire Weekes fan too, had a couple of her books and found them really helpful.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

nomorepanic
20-08-07, 19:58
My recommended reading list is here..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=reading

I too like Claire and found her books very easy to read and helpful when I was acute with panic and anxiety.

beadbabe
21-08-07, 09:45
I'm glad you lot all feel it is worth having a dig at fellow anxiety sufferers just because you are not willing to listen to another person's point of view.

I am extremely frustrated and hurt at your pathetic attempts at putting me down.

jaco - I have spent two years 'really' working at it to get out of it. Either you suffer really mildly or you have a warped idea of what anxiety really can be. I see a really good counsellor too.

The man who orginally posted in the forum is free to ask a question, and I am free to agree and support him with an alternative book. What is your lot's problem to deny people a point of view and then jump on them with criticism and pathetic comments.

I suffer really badly from anxiety and panic attacks and at times agoraphobia - and it's no wonder really when the world is full of people like you lot. I thought this was a safe place to come and expect support and advice but you bunch have confirmed it is not.

darkangel
21-08-07, 10:10
Everyone is different so books are a personal choice.

I think its finding what works for you at that time.

I was recommended a book by the No Panic helpline a few years ago which is written by an ex sufferer and is written in straightforward text, no gobbledegook and is divided into short sections as it can be extremely difficult to actually sit down and read a book when going through anxiety and panic.

Its called: "Breaking free from the anxiety" trap by Terri Conley

I hope you find something that will help

Luv Darkangel :flowers:

Jaco45er
21-08-07, 13:04
Beadbabe

I really don't see what your problem is, I merely defended what I thought was a very good book, so that people can make thier own choices. Just because it didn't work for one person, doesn't mean its bad.

And no one is putting anyone down, but I can't be bothered with people constantly using the forum as some sort of place to create friction.

You do not have the monopoly on anxiety, trust me, as for the rest of your comments, it's water off a ducks back to me.

I read Feeling Good by Dr Burns, it did NOTHING for me, but I wouldn't call it rubbish, it just didn't work for me.

You really seem a hostile lady, maybe if you wasn't so confrontational your anxiety would not be so bad.

Kind regards,

Jaco

beadbabe
22-08-07, 15:35
Why are you so nasty and bitter - Jaco? That's twice you have upset me. I am the least confrontational person out there - you don't know me. How can you say stuff like my anxiety would be better blah blah blah when this is supposed to be a support forum. You seriously have no idea what it is like to suffer from anxiety if you can say that to me. Do you enjoy being nasty and causing others to be set back along their attempts to recover?

I suppose I am meant to be sorry for sticking up for myself when all I ever wanted to do was help out the chap who was asking for help at the start of the listing.

(I really feel like I am being bullied on this posting. Is anyone in admin taking any notice of the bullying and jumping down each others throats that goes on here. I have seen this go on in the chat rooms before but this is the first time I've felt like I was being picked on and having to take abuse.)

Lindalou64
22-08-07, 16:15
I Also Like Claire Weekes Been Many Yrs Tho That I Read Her Books I Need To Pick Some Up Again But Bob We Are All Different......some Can Relate To What She Says Some Dont....wish Ya The Best.........linda Xx

trac67
22-08-07, 16:16
Oh dear :ohmy:

Guys be nice to one another huh.

Each to their own with what helps us along the way to recovery is concerned, and we all have our own opinions on that.

Beadbabe, I dont think Jaco is attacking you personally, just defending what he believes in mate, and remember he is a bloke they arent as tactful as us females lol

Not too sure what the little dig at the admins was about (yet again) but I can't see anything on here to suggest anyone being bullied and we are keeping an eye on the thread.

Its turned into a debate and sometimes debates get slightly heated, just try and not get personal with one another or the thread will have to be locked

Love

Trac xxxx

Lindalou64
22-08-07, 16:27
Ohhhh Sorry Didnt See This All Going On.....bead No One Is Bullying Anyone Know This....we All Suffer..in Ways Of Agraphobia Anxiety Ect.....i Hope You Realize That We All Just Have Dif Opinions On Books Thats All......some Work For One Some Dont Thats All Ive Seen In This Post........linda

groovygranny
22-08-07, 16:29
Hello everyone on this thread!

Its turned into a debate and sometimes debates get slightly heated, just try and not get personal with one another or the thread will have to be locked

Wise words from Trac.

I'm a very newbie admin so am still on a very steep learning curve!

However, one thing that I have discovered is how difficult the job can be sometimes.

One has to be objective about things and try and not jump on any 'band wagon'.

NMP is a place where people have the freedom to express themselves - a vital commodity when you consider what we all suffer from.

However, there is a very fine line sometimes between free speach and alllowing a 'free for all'.

The admin team here are first class and I am receiving so much help and guidance from them - I so want to give back something to this site and the people who use it.

Before this turns into a 'GG novel', may I just say please don't worry - if the admin team seem inactive at times, it's not because they're not bothering - it's because they are considering every eventuality and trying to keep this site free but at the same time moderated so that all may benefit.

And, like everything in life, we're not always going to get it right - but we'll have a dam good try lol !!

Hope this is helpful

:hugs::hugs:

trac67
22-08-07, 17:22
Nigel, I was joking mate, hence the LOL at the end of the sentence and Im sure Jaco wont be offended:huh:

Trac xx

Alabasterlyn
22-08-07, 18:28
I've known Jaco for years and met him a few times due to our shared anxiety and I can assure you that he does have anxiety and at times it is very bad too, so it's a tad unfair to pick on him like that.

I've read so many books on the topic of anxiey and I do agree that what suits one person won't necessarily suit someone else, but it does make me a bit mad when I see people make statements that are innacurate. Claire Weekes actually cured herself of her anxiety state and spent years, even after she had retired, touring the world trying to help people.

I think one of the things a lot of people with anxiety struggle with are the terrible physical symptoms of anxiety, which very few books back in the 70's ever tackled. Claire Weekes did a brilliant job of explaining how the body works and goes in great detail about every physical symptom and explains everything in such an easily readable manner :)

Jaco45er
22-08-07, 19:57
Cheers Lyn

I have read back, but I am not even going to comment.

Jaco

Lindalou64
23-08-07, 03:28
well i say amen to that Lyn .....i did enjoy her books but that was for me and others who also liked her books they werent so complicated you stayed on track like i said i was agraphobic and she help me get out of my house and live a normal life what is normal i dont know completly since i do suffer w/anxiety still but who is normal???

CarpeDiem
25-08-07, 12:56
:) In reply to Bob Driscoll's orignial thread :)

Perhaps books generally are not the way to go for you ? It sounds like the book threw up more questions for you than it did answers which suggests you might benefit more from one2one consultation, where ideas can be discussed & explored more thoroughly. Are you already receiving treatment of this kind? If not, perhaps get your GP to refer you.
Or if it was because you found it too easy to dismiss the books ideas because Claire Weekes' persepctive didn't sit right & she lost all credibility with you, then maybe a group setting would be more beneficial to you? That way you get lots of different opinions & can start to form a collage of helpful tips from lots of different perspectives.
Sorry if you've already tried all these things & this info seems a bit pathetic - Everyone here is at different stages of recovery (Some are also still in the stage where they kick back at any help offered to them because they feel it trivialises their problem, so are very hard to reach) so its difficult to gauge how much a person already knows.
Good luck with it either way, a few people on here have recommended their own favourite books so if you still think this is the way to go for you, I hope you find one that helps you on your way. (Nic has done a list on this site too) Take care, CarpeDiem
xxxxxx