PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me... Is this perceived weakness??

wingo22
25-05-18, 21:53
So I am a 28 yr old male, who has always been relatively healthy (minus the health anxiety) . I have recently noticed that when I am at work, and writing something on a whiteboard or whatever, my right arm starts to feel weak/strained. This has been happening for maybe 3 weeks now, and I have thought nothing of it until this morning. ALS fears have never been a fear of mine, however I feel so terribly worried today that this is something I could have. I feel that at 28, my arm shouldn't be feeling this way.

I have read that usually ALS occurs between like 40-70, however I fear that I could be that one outlier, and its terrifying to me. I don't really know what "weakness" in your arm completely means, I guess as I just carried a fold up table up through my house to my car with my right hand so i dont know if someone with an onset of ALS could do that??

I have also heard of perceived weakness vs. real weakness. What is that?? Can someone please lend a hand and help me through this...Like if this was something serious would I be able to type this up?? Im just so scared.

nomorepanic
25-05-18, 22:04
Read this:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071

wingo22
25-05-18, 23:52
Thanks!
But can anyone else relate?? Can anxiety cause tired/sore arms?

Fishmanpa
26-05-18, 00:02
Thanks!
But can anyone else relate?? Can anxiety cause tired/sore arms?

Thanks?... Thanks? Did you even read it before you responded looking for more reassurance? So what does "ALS is about failing, not feeling" mean to you and do to your fear?

Positive thoughts

wingo22
26-05-18, 00:04
I did read it!
I get that weakness is different than failing. Me feeling weakness is differenent than someone else seeing weakness.
Just want to hear some stories from others....

nomorepanic
26-05-18, 00:09
Have a search for previous posts on here about it- there are hundreds. Have a read and see what others say.

Fishmanpa
26-05-18, 00:13
Have a search for previous posts on here about it- there are hundreds. Have a read and see what others say.

And hundreds and hundreds and hundreds...... Not one came true... N.O.T. O.N.E.

Positive thoughts

wingo22
26-05-18, 16:12
And hundreds and hundreds and hundreds...... Not one came true... N.O.T. O.N.E.

Positive thoughts

You're right!

Can anxiety cause arm muscles and other things like this?? Also if you fixate on an issue, can anxiety make that issue worse? What are the chances of someone in their late 20's getting ALS>?

wingo22
27-05-18, 18:08
anyone??

BlueMoon24
27-05-18, 23:17
I've been through the same thing a few times - just recently I had this issue in my wrist. I certainly fixated on it and as soon as I found something better to do to fill my time (exercise, hanging out with friends, hobbies) it completely left my mind and now I don't even notice any 'weird' feeling.

It's important not to focus on it as you'll get yourself worked up. It sounds completely normal. As soon as you find something to take your mind off it, you'll realise it was nothing.

You actually answered your own question:

I guess as I just carried a fold up table up through my house to my car with my right hand so i dont know if someone with an onset of ALS could do that??

If there really was any weakness, then no, as you'd have... weakness?

wingo22
15-06-18, 13:59
so for a few weeks now ive had this muscle pain and tiredness thing going on. It's quite odd. It's mostly affecting my right arm. The pain would be in my bicep/tricep area and it would feel tired (like I just worked out with weights). Then the pain would move to my forearm and be gone from my bicep, then to the shoulder, Etc. The pain moves around. I've had some tingling in my index finger and middle finger too. Went to see a physio therapist, she did a bunch of strength tests and said it's definitely a sensory issue, not a motor one. My muscles according to her are fine and do not show signs of weakness. Diagnosis to her was punched nerve in neck.

I also saw a walk in clinic doctor, who did a bunch of neurological tests to measure strength and said my muscles are as strong as the ones on my left arm. She said to just take Advil if the pain gets too much. Which is good!! Felt real good leaving the office with that news. 

When this started I was scared of ALS, now I am afraid more of MS!! Can anyone tell me if ALS and MS affect motor or sensory function. I Havent googled anything til I got freaked out about ALS and ive been working hard to get over that fear. 

Is this MS symptoms?? Or more anxiety.

28 yr old male. TIA

Fishmanpa
15-06-18, 14:33
Went to see a physio therapist, she did a bunch of strength tests and said it's definitely a sensory issue, not a motor one. My muscles according to her are fine and do not show signs of weakness. Diagnosis to her was punched nerve in neck.

I also saw a walk in clinic doctor, who did a bunch of neurological tests to measure strength and said my muscles are as strong as the ones on my left arm. She said to just take Advil if the pain gets too much.

IMO... Anxiety.

Positive thoughts

wingo22
16-06-18, 17:17
Thanks!!
Any other suggestions?

xmas2016
16-06-18, 17:36
I get this also in my left arm, in the bicep feels really heavy and dead, then I ge a headache which feels like someone is squeezing my head and neck and my cheeks and bridge of my nose goes numb I hate it it scares me

wingo22
16-06-18, 19:35
Does it come and go!?
Have you gotten it checked out?

Fishmanpa
16-06-18, 20:36
Thanks!!
Any other suggestions?

I'll preface this by saying you've barely responded (or not at all) to my posts on this or your threads and I can understand why. My style can be pretty blunt to say the least :blush: But I'm being straight up and many times from my own life experience. I see you in a very common HA pattern of reassurance seeking and your dragon is being well fed! I challenge you because deep down I believe you know you're Ok but your anxiety beats the shit of of your logic.

Let's face it, you're on an anxiety forum asking strangers with anxiety, people who live with it every day, to give you other reasons than the medical professionals. Read what you wrote. That's all the reassurance and explanation you need.

Went to see a physio therapist, she did a bunch of strength tests and said it's definitely a sensory issue, not a motor one. My muscles according to her are fine and do not show signs of weakness. Diagnosis to her was punched nerve in neck.

I also saw a walk in clinic doctor, who did a bunch of neurological tests to measure strength and said my muscles are as strong as the ones on my left arm. She said to just take Advil if the pain gets too much.

You can get a 3rd, 4th or 5th opinion but I have the feeling the results would be the same. Stress/Anxiety kick the shit out of your body! My wife was in the hospital the end of 2016 for over two months, I nearly lost her. I was so stressed out worrying about her that most days it felt like I'd been hit by a bus. I'm not a sufferer but I had a list of stress related symptoms. Twitching, insomnia, detachment/trouble focusing etc. The thing is, I knew exactly why it was happening. It's not some deadly illness and as a survivor of two heart attacks and cancer, I'm intimately acquainted with deadly illnesses :winks: It took a little bit but as life calmed down a bit so did the stress and the symptoms went away.

So read what you wrote a few times and especially the parts I highlighted. That and the fact the illnesses that your dragon is taunting you with are just astronomically rare!

One more point... I noticed in your post history a long period where you didn't post. I would assume you were doing pretty well with your anxiety? It just seems to have ramped up in 2018. Has something happened or changed that may have triggered it? I ask because my daughter recently had a bit of a relapse (meds stopped working) and she's really struggling with the cross taper and a new med.

I'll ask again. Are you getting any real life professional help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

xmas2016
16-06-18, 22:09
Does it come and go!?
Have you gotten it checked out?

Yes it comes and goes, booked in for a CT scan though

wingo22
18-06-18, 15:47
I'll preface this by saying you've barely responded (or not at all) to my posts on this or your threads and I can understand why. My style can be pretty blunt to say the least :blush: But I'm being straight up and many times from my own life experience. I see you in a very common HA pattern of reassurance seeking and your dragon is being well fed! I challenge you because deep down I believe you know you're Ok but your anxiety beats the shit of of your logic.

Let's face it, you're on an anxiety forum asking strangers with anxiety, people who live with it every day, to give you other reasons than the medical professionals. Read what you wrote. That's all the reassurance and explanation you need.

You can get a 3rd, 4th or 5th opinion but I have the feeling the results would be the same. Stress/Anxiety kick the shit out of your body! My wife was in the hospital the end of 2016 for over two months, I nearly lost her. I was so stressed out worrying about her that most days it felt like I'd been hit by a bus. I'm not a sufferer but I had a list of stress related symptoms. Twitching, insomnia, detachment/trouble focusing etc. The thing is, I knew exactly why it was happening. It's not some deadly illness and as a survivor of two heart attacks and cancer, I'm intimately acquainted with deadly illnesses :winks: It took a little bit but as life calmed down a bit so did the stress and the symptoms went away.

So read what you wrote a few times and especially the parts I highlighted. That and the fact the illnesses that your dragon is taunting you with are just astronomically rare!

One more point... I noticed in your post history a long period where you didn't post. I would assume you were doing pretty well with your anxiety? It just seems to have ramped up in 2018. Has something happened or changed that may have triggered it? I ask because my daughter recently had a bit of a relapse (meds stopped working) and she's really struggling with the cross taper and a new med.

I'll ask again. Are you getting any real life professional help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

No I understand. You have been through quite a lot. I do truly believe that deep down this is anxiety. Over the last year I have worried about many things. Brain tumor, Leukemia, ALS,MS etc. I don't know why IT has hit me so hard. ItIt may be because I am getting married and just want everything to be perfect :(. I have always had symptoms that made me worry about terrible illnesses. However, they in time have passed. I feel like I can get past this, however it's so hard for me. Do you believe that any of my symptoms are causes of MS? I'm not sure why I worry about Reese diseases considering the risk is quite low, compared to cancer which is like 1 in 3.
I have not been getting any help from therapists or doctors. I just rely on my fiancée to help me through.

wingo22
20-06-18, 13:51
Anyone? Fish??

Fishmanpa
20-06-18, 14:27
Anyone? Fish??

FMP

wingo22
23-06-18, 00:26
I know!!!!

Ugh has anyone felt this fear of MS before? I hear it's quite common with health anxiety.
What symptoms did you have and How did you get over it?

wingo22
14-09-18, 20:28
Hello,
Back again. 29 yr old male. Back in June I was experiencing this “fatigue” in my right arm. I am a teacher and when I write on the board, it seems to really tire out my arm. I didn’t think anything of it for like a week or 2. Then it kept happening. I googled found all sorts of bad things and thought the worst. I went to see a walk in doctor, she did some strength tests and said there was no clinical weakness, I also saw a physio and she told me it’s probbaly a pinched nerve.

July and August I didn’t really feel this “weakness” and wasn’t really stressed either. Now again in September it hasn’t been acting up again. But this time it’s in both arms. It would be in my right arm for a bit, then move to my left arm. Mostly in my bicep region, it just feels achy and tired. I can still lift things, cut the grass etc, but I’m terrified that it could be something sinister like MS or anything like that.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Like has anyone experienced this in both arms on and off before?? Can it be anxiety/perceived weakness..
TIA

wingo22
16-09-18, 16:07
Anyone??

Anyhone ever have a pinched nerve in neck causing this too?

Malsais
17-09-18, 03:14
It happen to me sometimes, try to rest your arm for a couple of days if possible

lofwyr
17-09-18, 06:12
Sounds like a repetitive stress injury to me. Anytime we do something with great frequency, our body can have reactions to that movement, and things like this happen. The fact that it started back up with school beginning would point at this too.

NancyW
17-09-18, 12:55
Anyhone ever have a pinched nerve in neck causing this too?

Yes I did and I have an xray confirmed degenerating disk in my neck. During the first flare I wondered if I had a stroke. Many symptoms of weakness in everything I did. At one point I lost my grip strength and couldn't open a jar.
A chiropractor helped me greatly but it will never be cured.

wingo22
17-09-18, 16:07
Yes I did and I have an xray confirmed degenerating disk in my neck. During the first flare I wondered if I had a stroke. Many symptoms of weakness in everything I did. At one point I lost my grip strength and couldn't open a jar.
A chiropractor helped me greatly but it will never be cured.

Thanks everyone!
Is this something that comes and goes with you? Or is it pretty constant??
Anyone else have any experiences?

wingo22
18-09-18, 16:43
Anyone??

Elen
18-09-18, 16:45
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Please go back and read the previous reassuring posts