PDA

View Full Version : Oral cancer fear (would my dentist have picked it up?)

itiswhatitis
19-09-18, 14:29
I'm having ongoing dental treatment because I have a lot of bad teeth from not practicing good oral hygiene. My last treatment was a month ago and my next is next month. In my last few appointments I saw three different dentists as some days my normal dentist wasn't available.

My anxiety right now is oral cancer. I get ulcers kind of often. Also one of my teeth (the one that's getting removed next time I go) is badly decayed and it looks like there's a hole in my gum by it (the tooth itself is already mostly gone, it's just a few pieces left) Do you think the hole is just something to do with the decay and stuff? Also if I knock that area with my toothbrush or food, it'll bleed.

My dentist gave me prescription only toothpaste which I've been using for the last month and I've been using it everyday (before it was hit and miss when I'd use my toothpaste.. I know it's gross but I was never raised with the habit of brushing my teeth)

If there was any sign of cancer one of the dentists would notice, right?
My issues are probably from poor dental hygiene and that can't cause cancer right? I used to smoke for about three years but I stopped last year (I have had a couple of blips and maybe smoked 4 cigarettes in the last year)

nomorepanic
19-09-18, 15:22
Yes the dentist would see it which I think you know deep down they would.

RadioGaGa
19-09-18, 16:11
I assume you're on Duraphat 5000ppm toothpaste? This is great at reducing decay.

Yes, dentists are *experts* when it comes to the mouth. They will notice anything amiss. That, you can be assured of.

Good luck