PDA

View Full Version : iron supplements causing diarrhea - kinda freaking out

elfo
19-09-18, 16:22
so i had to take iron supplements earlier this summer and starting from the second day i had really bad cramps and diarrhea which made me freak out which in turn triggered my ibs and health anxiety. eventually it got kinda better but i stopped taking them because i was taking too many meds (i also got prescribed meds for my health anxiety after some trips to the doctors). i started taking the rest of my iron supplements yesterday and again today i had horrible cramps and diarrhea. now the rational part of me knows that they are just side effects but i am also thinking like what if there is some problem with my bowels and that is the main reason i had iron deficiency in the first place? the anxiety meds worked wonders for me so i don't really think i have cancer anymore but i am still considering other maybe less serious diseases that might cause malabsorption or something? i thought i was on my way to recovery but i am freaking out about my bowel movements once again:weep: should i go to the doctors again? or should i just make a trip to my psychiatrist and discuss whether i need a higher dosage of anxiety meds or not?

RadioGaGa
19-09-18, 16:46
Side effects of Galfer tablets/solution as per the BNF:

Constipation; diarrhoea; epigastric pain (dose related); faecal impaction; gastro-intestinal irritation; nausea (dose related)

Definitely sounds like this is happening to you, not anything else sinister! See your doctor for further advice.

Good luck

Also should clarify - Galfer is the brand we use in the UK. It doesn't matter if you don't take Galfer - its only a brand. Side effects are related to the active ingredient, not brand.

nomorepanic
19-09-18, 17:19
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239