PDA

View Full Version : Blood infection, sepsis fear

Capercrohnj
19-09-18, 22:45
So I'm in the hospital because my gastroparesis is very bad and I lost a lot of weight. I had a PICC line and was on TPN (IV nutrition). The last few days I have been spiking fevers and the blood cultures came back positive so out comes the Picc line and off of my nutrition. I'm scared that this will turn into sepsis even though I am on antibiotics. Everything that can go wrong does. I am waiting for a J tube and this is going to add 2 weeks to my hospital stay because of the antibiotics (My stay was estimated to be a month). Grr scared, anxious and frustrated.

Fishmanpa
19-09-18, 23:02
Dude! Dang! Sorry to hear this. To say that sucks is an understatement. Those three emotions are totally normal under those circumstances. Hang in there, you're in the best place to be and they're keeping an eye on you. Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

KK77
19-09-18, 23:26
Sorry to hear you're not good, Caper, but as Fish says, you're in the best place for treatment right now. With all the ABs you're receiving, I would think it's highly unlikely you'll get sepsis. Concentrate on your recovery and keep us posted.

Capercrohnj
20-09-18, 00:23
Thanks. Just so frustrated. I have been here since a week ago Tuesday. Getting this PICC was an adventure. The radiologist first tried my right arm but had to abort half way in as my vein had a blockage so ultimately had to put ot in my left. The initial poke is very painful. I know PICC line infections are not uncommon and this was my 3rd PICC so my luck ran out. They are going to insert another line but don't know where as my right is out of order. It took 5 pokes to get an IV for my antibiotics as my veins are horrible and during my first infusion my arm started swelling so I lost that IV. Not looking forward to getting poked again. I just want my J tube so I can get on with my life but they won't do it until the infection is clear and I gain more weight. I know sepsis is far fetched as they know what bacteria it is so they are giving me the correct antibiotic but I'm still quite worried.

pulisa
20-09-18, 08:56
Of course you're worried and you must be very fed up stuck in hospital being monitored and just waiting for the next painful procedure..You have had such bad luck with your health, Caper but you keep going and endure test after test trying to manage what must be very complex conditions. My son was born without an oesophagus so I have some idea as to how challenging having gastroparesis must be and how complicated it must be to live with it and maintain weight.
I think you're pretty safe on the sepsis front but you just need some good fortune now and for things to go well for you for the rest of your hospital stay.
Please keep us posted and just vent when you're feeling low?

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-18, 02:03
Sending you a big one of these :hugs: and some of these :flowers:

From reading about your health in the past I've always had the impression you go through a hell of a lot on top of the anxiety.

Vent all you want on here or just have a chat or a laugh. Whatever helps get your mind off being stuck in there.

lofwyr
21-09-18, 03:07
Hey man, hang in there. I have learned that anxiety and fear do have a legitimate place. I would agree with the others who have said that it is not out of line to be afraid when dealing with this sort of thing. This is not a symptom you are making up in your mind, this is a legitimate medical issue, but you are under the care of good doctors, presumably, and closely watched, so try to give over some of that worry to those who are taking care of you.

Sorry you are having a rough go of it, be well and stay strong!

pulisa
21-09-18, 08:09
I wish there was more of a show of support on here for those who have genuine medical issues and an anxiety disorder to contend with on top of all the physical stuff.

It doesn't really happen.

StephA
21-09-18, 14:33
Hey there Caper. I sure hope you’re having a better day today! I’m sure you must be nervous, as you have a genuine medical issue. You’ve always been so supportive to folks on here, and I wish some more would post here to offer you the same support! We are here for you. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and please keep us posted!

BikerMatt
21-09-18, 15:57
You really go through it Caper. As others have said you're in the best place.

All the very best to you!!

Capercrohnj
25-09-18, 21:31
Thanks everyone. Just wanted to add my blood cultures are now negative woo! Still on antibiotics but am feeling much better. Onward to the next step in my treatment.

StephA
25-09-18, 22:24
I’m so happy to hear you’re doing better and the cultures came back negative! Keep your chin up and keep us posted. xoxo

Sparky16
25-09-18, 23:50
That 's great news, Caper! One of my coworkers has gastroparesis, I've seen what a struggle it can be. Hang in there and get better! :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
26-09-18, 01:28
That's good news! :yesyes::yahoo:

Are you at the bored out of your mind stage in there yet? :winks:

Capercrohnj
26-09-18, 03:19
Yup bored. So bored. Today is day 15. I started a cell biology and an egyptology class on EdX for fun lol. EdX are basically free short university classes. Both of the ones I am taking are from Harvard.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Oh my CRP also was sky high but my abdominal ct was mostly clear! Happy my Crohn's isn't flaring at the moment

pulisa
26-09-18, 20:45
Blimey! I'm very impressed with your courses and good for you!!

Really good news on your test results and I do hope you soon escape from hospital!!

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-18, 02:11
You'll be a Harvard grad soon then! :yesyes:

My GF has always loved any related to Egyptian history & mythology. She used to be an archaeologist although only worked in the UK.

Doing something productive to broaden your mind seems a very good thing to do. A good healthy distraction from too much thinking time about anxiety, symptoms, illness, etc. Nice one!

pulisa
27-09-18, 08:11
I couldn't agree more, Terry! All credit to Caper for using her time in hospital so productively.

Elen
27-09-18, 09:02
Great news Caper, hope you get to escape soon

Capercrohnj
27-09-18, 21:18
Thanks guys. I will be here for a while. I am waiting for a surgical consult for a g/j tube which hopefully I will get this hospitalization. I'm still pretty underweight. Scared of more surgery but looking forward to hopefully being able to move on with my life and stay nourished.

pulisa
28-09-18, 08:19
It must be an ongoing battle for you, Caper. I imagine that the tube will help you keep weight on and will be a back up when you're going through a bad spell?It'll be worth staying in hospital to get this sorted and the surgery would be a means to an end and a much better quality of life for you.

Capercrohnj
07-10-18, 00:51
I *might* be getting my J tube on Friday! The only issue is that I took humira on Tuesday so that might postpone it a bit because it is an immunosuppressant and can delay healing. I've been in the hospital for 26 days now so can't wait to be sprung. Will have to stay for a bit after surgery but probably only a few days.

MyNameIsTerry
07-10-18, 02:08
Fingers crossed for you then.

How are you getting on with your learning?

Have you met any people in there who are keeping you going?

pulisa
07-10-18, 08:29
It looks as though your hospital days will be numbered now! Fingers crossed for Friday!

I hope you have managed to find a few people who you get on with in hospital..The days and nights really drag out when you are desperate to get out and get home.

Capercrohnj
18-10-18, 09:33
Day 38 and got my j tube last night. It was postponed n Friday before of the Humira but I have it now! The pain is bad but the dilaudid and anti nausea meds are nice.

---------- Post added at 05:33 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Midline abdominal incisions are very painful because of how much we rely on our ab muscles. I call it good pain though because it's pain that will go away as opposed to pain caused by disease.

Capercrohnj
01-11-18, 01:23
Day 51-I have the worse luck as I now have a partial obstruction (from surgery) and have the lovely NG tube in. Won't go into much detail as I don't want to set off my fellow anxiety sufferers but it hasn't been fun. Hopefully I will start my j tube feedings again soon and get out of the hospital soon!

StephA
01-11-18, 02:40
Oh bless your heart Caper! Hopefully the obstruction will be resolved soon so they can start your feeding again. Just keep hanging in there! Keep us posted. (((((HUGS)))))

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-18, 02:53
Sorry to hear you've had a (painful) setback. :hugs: The doc hasn't lost his pager shortly after your surgery, has he? :winks:

If you need to talk, go for it, you deserve support from people and whilst it's nice to think of others and triggers there are those of us who think it shouldn't be a barrier to support on here, even if it means using a non HA board.

Fishmanpa
01-11-18, 03:07
Talk about 'when it rains it pours'! Sheesh dude! Depsite all that, you come here and encourage others. That speaks volumes. Hang in there!

Keeping you in...

Positive thoughts

pulisa
01-11-18, 08:23
That's such bad luck, Caper-I do hope you can get the NG tube out very soon and get back on the road towards hospital discharge with your j tube fully functional.

Don't hold back from posting anything on here if you want to? You've been through such a lot and others may reassess their own issues if they read about what it's like to actually have to deal with major medical conditions with an anxiety disorder. It must be very isolating and frightening yet you continue to battle on and with your new feeding tube I do hope your life will be easier and healthier and that you can limit your hospital admissions.

KK77
01-11-18, 14:45
Sorry you've had a setback but hope you'll be back on road to recovery soon.

I agree with others re "triggering" posts. This forum is full of it and you're posting for the right reasons - ie, support, release and encouragement - rather than constant reassurance and/or attention-seeking.

So, post at your leisure :shades: