PDA

View Full Version : My wife has had some uterine issues, finally getting help, I need your help ladies.

lofwyr
20-09-18, 05:40
Hey there, I have come to an odd place in my life regarding health anxiety. Somewhere along the line with my own medical diagnoses, I managed to get the fear for my own health under control, in fact, at near total peace. I still have plenty of HA to go around though, as some of you may have noticed, I have focused on my wife's battle with finding a good OB/GYN and getting to the bottom of her own issues.

This post is just to share that she has had some success. Now, mind you, in the last 90 days she has been bleeding more days than she hasn't, and that did/does freak me out. In that time, she had a clear CT scan, though it showed numerous cysts on her ovaries. She also battled an episode of diverticulitus, but that's water under the bridge.

The good news is, she has finally found a wonderful GP (well, actually the PA of her GP) and also a new, and wonderful OBGYN, a woman (we have 8 male and 1 female obgyn in this town, and she got the blow-off so, so often from the men, she finally got in with the female, and it was wonderful for her). She is getting an ultrasound on Oct 1, and if necessary, a biopsy. Her problem is suspected uterine issues, but exactly what they are not sure. Her gyn is very keen to get to the bottom of it. On the table are fibroids, endometriosis (though she does not suspect that), cancer (she does not necessarily suspect that either), hormonal imbalance (near the top of the list along with fibroids), or some other surprise. She also has an occasional low, low grade fever, but that is actually a good indicator of fibroids and/or hormonal issues, which while sucky, would be better than cancer.

Anyway, regardless, in spite of this information, I have largely put my anxiety regarding her to bed and am glad she has gotten the help she was beginning to think she would never find. I am staying away from google, which leads me to a question for you gals, if it isn't too much trouble.

In an effort to help her keep her thoughts straight going into this (she has a lot of brain fog lately, also pointing to hormonal issues so has me help her keep track), if you had her issues, what questions would you be asking of your gynecologist? She has spent so long being discouraged by male gynecologists that blew off her concerns, even her bleeding, and sent her away without even an ultrasound, that she was about ready to quit going all together, but now that she has this new, amazing doctor, she was sort of blind sided and blanked out on her appointment. I was going to help fill her phone with pertinent questions for the next appointment, but without google, it seems difficult for me to be of much help there. Anything you would want to know?

flinchy
20-09-18, 10:38
If she hasn't already, it might be worth asking whether she needs to take iron supplements (and what type/how to make sure it's properly absorbed) given that she's had sustained blood loss for such a long time. Lots of women with heavy periods experience iron deficiency anaemia and it's a known cause of poor concentration and light-headedness so could certainly exacerbate the brain fog she has already!

In my experiences with OB/GYNs I've found they tend to ask lots of specific and quite detailed questions about menstrual symptoms and history so it might also be worth her jotting down, over some calm moments, some details about what has been normal for her in the past (blood loss, cycle duration/length of period, whether these things have fluctuated, pain, spotting, past use of the pill, etc) and also specifically how these things have changed over the last few months. Even without brain fog it's really easy to be totally stumped by those questions without some notes in hand, especially if you've been having weird symptoms for such a long time you can't remember what used to be normal for you.

Really glad to hear she's in good hands now, a good OB/GYN is a truly wonderful find and hopefully it puts both of your minds at ease somewhat.