PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out over possible HIV

Worriertoomuch
21-09-18, 10:14
Hello, I'm a recent college student in America, specifically Texas. I made a mistake, and had unprotected sex with a girl I barely knew. She claims to not have HIV, but I don't know if I can trust her, she claims to have even recently taken a rapid HIV test but was pretty fishy about it. She's also known for getting around. For information I did oral and vaginal sex with her. The day right afterwards I began developing a sore throat, then a cough, and I even have a bit of white tongue and a yeast infection on my genitals now, no ulcers or bumps in my mouth and when I try to scrape the white off no bleeding occurs but my tongue is still tinted white. The sore throat is gone now, but I still have all the other symptoms and what's worse now is that I'm beginning to get an itchy chest. I've been reading online and these are all early symptoms of HIV and this has all been happening within a week of the potential exposure, and I'm freaking out about it. It's driving me insane that I can't take a test myself until the beginning of October, I just can't stop worrying. And I do plan on taking a test in October, but I just want to know if I have HIV or not. Please tell me what y'all think, this waiting is killing me, I'm so stressed out about it.

Worriertoomuch
22-09-18, 11:28
Hello, I'm a recent college student in America, specifically Texas. I made a mistake, and had unprotected sex with a girl I barely knew. She claims to not have HIV, but I don't know if I can trust her, she claims to have even recently taken a rapid HIV test but was pretty fishy about it. She's also known for getting around. For information I did oral and vaginal sex with her. The day right afterwards I began developing a sore throat, then a cough, and I even have a bit of white tongue with red splotches in my throat and a yeast infection on my genitals now, no ulcers or in my mouth and when I try to scrape the white off no bleeding occurs but my tongue is still tinted white. The sore throat is gone now, but I still have all the other symptoms. I've been reading online and these are all early symptoms of HIV and this has all been happening within a week of the potential exposure, and I'm freaking out about it. It's driving me insane that I can't take a test myself until the beginning of October, I just can't stop worrying. And I do plan on taking a test in October, but I just want to know if I have HIV or not. Please tell me what y'all think, this waiting is killing me, I'm so stressed out about it. Please, just someone help.

welsh girl
22-09-18, 11:48
I don't know much about HIV but would like to support you so you don't feel alone.
I know what it is like to have a great worry on your mind.
Has she got any written evidence that she is clear?
It is against the law in the UK to withhold a bad diagnosis , could you use that to make her admit to anything?
I presume in the future you will use the dreaded condom, that would save all that worry/
Let us know how you get on, every thing crossed for you.

Worriertoomuch
22-09-18, 12:03
Wow thank you so much for your kindness. I don't believe she has any written evidence, and she's out of town right now. She's also been avoiding some of my messages, that's what is mainly scary. I know it's hard to get HIV from just one encounter, but with all the symptoms I'm having it's really scary and it's also better to be safe than sorry.
And I don't know if there are any laws in the U.S. about withholding a bad diagnosis, but I wish there were.
Also yes, I plan on using a condom from now on, it was a stupid mistake and I'll never do it again. I'll be sure to keep you informed on what happens and whoever else would like to know.
I want to thank you though, it feels good to know that there's someone out there who cares, and it's not something I want my family to stress over unless I know I have it. I'll keep updating, I plan on taking the test on October 3rd, but I do plan on confronting her when she comes back.

Blue23Blent
22-09-18, 12:08
Was this the first time you looked in the back of your throat and mouth? I know for me I had oral sex and then I got a mucocele cyst which then led me to inspect the rest of my throat and mouth and googled everything! I personally came to the conclusion that I had throat cancer or cancer on my tongue due to me having oral sex and the HPV virus.

What do your blotches on your throat look like? It may just be your normal anatomy. The throat and even to the our crazy looking sometimes. I’ve had blotches on my throat which were looked at by doctor and ENT and I even had a CT scan to be safe.

Worriertoomuch
22-09-18, 12:23
While I haven't looked at the back of my throat in awhile, they definitely weren't there before. Blotches may not be the right word, but they're red bumps all over the back of my throat with mucus clinging to them. I also have a white tongue, which those two combined is likely oral thrush. While it could also be strep, it's just too coincidental that I get strep not too long after that incendent. She claims to have had a cold when the incident occurred, but again that seems all to convient. I'll admit that a lot of people at my University are getting sick right now, calling it flu season, so it's possible that it's just a cold or the flu, but that seems all way too convenient to happen at the same time. Plus that wouldn't explain my other symptoms. Maybe I'm overthinking this and I probably am, but I just can't wait any longer. Also I apologise for ranting, I'm just really stressed, I appreciate your concern though.

doxiemama
22-09-18, 12:31
My heart is breaking for you! I have a son in College right now, and I would hope someone would help him out when in need. So I'm here for you. You already know you made a mistake, so no need to beat yourself up about that anymore. Take this as a good lesson learned. I do the same thing, and jump to worse case scenario, and most of the time, I am completely WRONG! You need to get checked out by a Doctor, on Campus even. You may have a simple STD, which would show up within 2 days. What is the reason for her rapid HIV Test, is she concerned? I don't know much about HIV, or our state laws, but I would think she would have to notify you first. Please get checked out, and concentrate on that school work! :hugs: Mckenzie

Worriertoomuch
22-09-18, 12:52
Thank you so much for your support, I hope this is all just me worrying too much and some of the symptoms are just psychosomatic. I'm sure you're son has someone he can depend on and that he's doing well in college, if anything he has you and the way you're being so kind you must be a great mother. It's kind of hard not to beat myself up, but this cough seems to be doing a good job of that for me. I plan on getting tested for everything on October 3rd, it'll be on campus and it'll be for free. I have Medicaid, and the on campus clinic doesn't accept Medicaid and neither do any other clinics in town or even the next town over. There is this one health department that does cheap $30 testing, but the times they do it conflict with my schedule and I don't plan on missing classes since I can just be tested for everything for free on October 3rd. I may be able to get checked out sometime during the weekday, probably Wednesday, but I don't know. And the reason she took a rapid HIV test was because I kept bugging her, but the thing that's weird about it is that I have no proof that it actually happened other than her word, and the testing only happened in the morning, I texted her a few times in the morning and she didn't message back until when the rapid HIV tests were close to being over.
Thank you so much for your kindness and support, it means so much that you said you're here for me and that you even replied. I can't thank you enough, and everyone else who was or will reply. Y'all's concern is already making me feel a bit better knowing that someone cares. I will be sure to keep you updated, and please feel free to ask any more questions.

Blue23Blent
22-09-18, 13:30
My throat had blotches and red spots and ENT said it was just acid reflux related. Do you have a picture of your throat I could let you know if it’s similar to mine. I’ve only been with one person and we have been together since we were 16 so I’m assuming mine wouldn’t be a STD.

doxiemama
22-09-18, 13:58
I'm sorry you have to wait until October to get some testing! :weep: I'm wondering if a CVS, or Walgreens would have a home test kit, that you could pick up. I'm in Pa, so I don't know what Pharmacy names are in Texas. (and you are really upset, isn't early there?) I know they have them for drug, and dna testing, just not sure about HIV. I'm going to look into this for you, and see if I can find out something in Texas with Medicaid, or some kind of home kit. You have to worry about getting through school. I don't want you to have to worry about this. If there are no at home test for HIV, could you possibly get her to take another one in front of you? Was her test over the counter? I just want you to be able to relax about this, and enjoy your college experience. It's going to alright! :bighug1:

ErinKC
22-09-18, 14:20
You said that you got a genital yeast infection, so it's possible that she had a simple yeast infection that you got in your mouth as well. Your health clinic at school can easily check for and treat that. I'd swing by and get checked out/tested for other STDs. I'm no HIV expert, but I can't imagine symptoms would arise within 24 hours of exposure. Symptoms you got the next day are most likely coincidental or yeast infection related. (And vaginal yeast infections are super common, not HIV-related.)

doxiemama
22-09-18, 16:48
I sent you a PM

Blue23Blent
22-09-18, 17:23
Who

RadioGaGa
22-09-18, 17:31
Worriertoomuch

HIV is (very) uncommon among heterosexuals. I was actually at our annual HIV training course with work a couple of weeks ago.

Acute retroviral syndrome occurs usually 2 to 4 weeks post-infection, and it's severe. Generally, you're unable to move from bed it's that severe. It mimics glandular fever. It doesn't start the next day.

You don't mention if a condom was used for penetrative vaginal sex. But oral sex is only a theoretical risk for HIV. In a study, where one partner was seropositive, and the other seronegative, none of the partners became infected. They stuck exclusively to oral sex.

I re-read your post Even for not using a condom during this one heterosexual encounter, your risk of actually getting HIV from her is very low.

You can get a fourth generation HIV test (the HIV Duo test) at 28 days post exposure. This is highly accurate at this time, and some experts do not recommend further testing. This will all be calculated by your Genito-urinary Medicine doctor, who can assess your risk more accurately.

You can also read some posts by Dr. Hook and Dr. Handsfield on their medical forum (PM me if you want the link). They're internationally respected experts on the subject.

In the mean time, please don't sweat it.

Worriertoomuch
23-09-18, 00:29
Thank you all so much for your replies, I'll try my best to respond to all of y'all. I don't have a good picture of my throat, I tried taking it with my phone which is the only camera I have, but it just focuses on my tongue instead.
And I'll have to wait until at least October to have any semi accurate results, HIV doesn't show up in any tests until at least two weeks after from what I'm told. I might be able to get her to take another test in front of me, but I highly doubt it, I've annoyed her a lot with my worries and she's barely responding to my messages. We're supposed to meet today, but who knows what will happen. And she went to our local health department for a free rapid HIV test, which is where they prick the finger.
Also did you send the PM to me? Because I don't see any private messages.
I did think about going to the university's clinic, but they don't accept Medicaid and it would cost me too much to get a test. I'm thinking about maybe going to an ER, but I wanted to call my insurance on Monday and see if they'll cover my expenses there.
I was looking at the chances of me getting HIV, and the chances are very low, but with the symptoms I'm having I just can't help but worry I have it. But if ARS happens 2-4 weeks post infection, then that's a good sign, and I can get out of bed just fine. And I'll be sure to do the HIV duo test 28 days after the possible exposure. And I'll also look into Dr. Hook and Dr. Handsfield, I'll be sure to PM you.
Thank you all so much for your care and concern, your replies are helping me be less worrisome. Really I can't thank y'all enough, I was freaking out on my own. I'll let y'all know what happens after/if I talk to her today.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

Also, I've had a stuffy nose, no real fever as far as I can tell, and no rashes. I've definitely been feeling more tired, but who doesn't while sick. I am also not naseas at all and have had no diarrhea. I apologise for not including this info in my earlier posts, I was just so fixated on the symptoms showing I did have HIV than the evidence that I don't. While I know nothing is conclusive until I do the testing, I thought I should share that waith y'all. I'm still really worried, but y'all are helping me rationalize this. Thank y'all again, and I will let y'all know what happens after I talk to her today, if it happens that is.

doxiemama
23-09-18, 02:01
So glad your feeling a little better! I did try to PM you, but who knows what I did, or who I sent it to. I'm new here. Eventually I'll get it! lol Just know I'm here if you need me, and please let me know how you make out! :hugs:

Worriertoomuch
23-09-18, 02:44
Thank you Doxiemama!
And I have some good news! Her last partner was in July, and she took the test on the 20th of this month. The results came out as negative on a rapid HIV test, that's gotta mean I'm in the clear right? And what reason would she have to lie to me, if I think I have HIV wouldn't she want to get checked herself to make sure she doesn't have it, and then what would she gain by lying to me?I'm still going to get checked in October, but this definitely makes me less worried and anxious. I was so sure I was infected, but I probably just have a cold. Thank you all so much for your support. I'll be sure to let y'all know what happens and if I have any other concerns or doubts in the future. Thank you all again, I have been so stressed this past week and y'all helped me out a lot.

doxiemama
23-09-18, 13:03
That's soooooooooooo awesome!:yahoo: I'm happy for you! Now study, and get that degree, and PROTECT yourself! lol :bighug1:

unicorndusy
23-09-18, 14:21
Hello, I'm a recent college student in America, specifically Texas. I made a mistake, and had unprotected sex with a girl I barely knew. She claims to not have HIV, but I don't know if I can trust her, she claims to have even recently taken a rapid HIV test but was pretty fishy about it. She's also known for getting around. For information I did oral and vaginal sex with her. The day right afterwards I began developing a sore throat, then a cough, and I even have a bit of white tongue and a yeast infection on my genitals now, no ulcers or bumps in my mouth and when I try to scrape the white off no bleeding occurs but my tongue is still tinted white. The sore throat is gone now, but I still have all the other symptoms and what's worse now is that I'm beginning to get an itchy chest. I've been reading online and these are all early symptoms of HIV and this has all been happening within a week of the potential exposure, and I'm freaking out about it. It's driving me insane that I can't take a test myself until the beginning of October, I just can't stop worrying. And I do plan on taking a test in October, but I just want to know if I have HIV or not. Please tell me what y'all think, this waiting is killing me, I'm so stressed out about it.

Hey, it’s actually rare for HIV to be passed through vaginal sex, and I think your sore throat/illness was purely a conincidence and you’ve put two and two together. It’s always best to get tested anyway but I can assure you it’s not HIV. Hope you feel better soon.

Pipkin
23-09-18, 16:13
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads. Please, when posting on similar topics, add it onto your previous thread rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal. It is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Best wishes

Pip

Worriertoomuch
24-09-18, 04:42
Hello thank you all for your support, though I can't help but worry again. I just can't help but think she might have lied to me. I'm going to try and go to a clinic tomorrow to see if I have oral thrush. Oral thrush is very common sign/symptom of HIV and I really think I have it. What's worse is that I think I'm beginning to get diarrhea, which is also an early sign of HIV. I was just beginning to think that I'm in the clear, and then I start worrying again. Every time I look up oral thrush, it gets more likely that I have it, and if I have it then I begin worrying that I have HIV. Then there's the possibility that I'm getting diarrhea, which is another early sign, and it's finally been over a week since the possible exposure. I'm sorry guys, I just keep on worrying about this.
Also I apologize Pipkin, no one was responding to when I posted under symptoms and I began freaking out.

Blue23Blent
24-09-18, 05:06
Hello thank you all for your support, though I can't help but worry again. I just can't help but think she might have lied to me. I'm going to try and go to a clinic tomorrow to see if I have oral thrush. Oral thrush is very common sign/symptom of HIV and I really think I have it. What's worse is that I think I'm beginning to get diarrhea, which is also an early sign of HIV. I was just beginning to think that I'm in the clear, and then I start worrying again. Every time I look up oral thrush, it gets more likely that I have it, and if I have it then I begin worrying that I have HIV. Then there's the possibility that I'm getting diarrhea, which is another early sign, and it's finally been over a week since the possible exposure. I'm sorry guys, I just keep on worrying about this.
Also I apologize Pipkin, no one was responding to when I posted under symptoms and I began freaking out.

Changes in bowels such as diarrhea can also be caused by worrying too much!! Go to doctor if you are concerned and hopefully they’ll clear you. How do you know you have oral thrush? Oral thrush can also be caused by many things.

Worriertoomuch
24-09-18, 05:55
Thank you Blue23Blent, I hope it is just the worrying too much that is causing the diarrhea. I plan on going to a doctor soon, I'm just trying to find the cheapest option since there's like nowhere in my town or the next town over that takes aetna medicaid. And I think I have oral thrush because I have a white coating over my tongue, dry lips, and red bumps in the back of my throat, I'm pretty sure it's oral thrush. I know there are other causes for oral thrush, but every time I read about they say it's highly unlikely to get it without a weakened immune system and is very common for HIV. It just seems too coincidental for me to get thrush right after the possible exposure. I really hope you're right, but I just can't keep my mind off of this.

utrocket09
24-09-18, 16:05
There is no way in a week or two you developed symptoms of HIV. It takes weeks to develop symptoms. I'd see if you have local HIV/AIDS program near you and ask for a rapind test to put you at ease. The local programs can do a quick swab test.

Blue23Blent
24-09-18, 16:12
Thank you Blue23Blent, I hope it is just the worrying too much that is causing the diarrhea. I plan on going to a doctor soon, I'm just trying to find the cheapest option since there's like nowhere in my town or the next town over that takes aetna medicaid. And I think I have oral thrush because I have a white coating over my tongue, dry lips, and red bumps in the back of my throat, I'm pretty sure it's oral thrush. I know there are other causes for oral thrush, but every time I read about they say it's highly unlikely to get it without a weakened immune system and is very common for HIV. It just seems too coincidental for me to get thrush right after the possible exposure. I really hope you're right, but I just can't keep my mind off of this.

A doctor or dentist should be able to tell you if you have oral thrush within seconds. Have you been?

ErinKC
24-09-18, 19:08
Do you have CVS Minute Clinics near you? I think they are generally affordable even without insurance. Ask first if course, but I'm sure they could test for that there. I have one inside the Target near me.

AMomentofClarity
24-09-18, 19:11

Planned parenthood will do a rapid test for very little if there’s one nearby.

Blue23Blent
24-09-18, 19:16
Didn't the woman you were with say she got tested and isn't HIV positive? So what's the worry?

doxiemama
25-09-18, 00:58
Aww, I feel so bad that this is bothering you so much! You are really beating yourself up, and worrying before you have any solid facts! Your probably not sleeping, or eating well, and this is going to break your system down, and make your stomach upset. Please get checked as soon as you can, and you will feel so much better. You are just having major intrusive thoughts, please don't let it take over your life. Your so young, and have so much to look forward to! Your gonna live to 110! Enjoy the college life! I will keep checking in, if you need to vent :bighug1: Mckenzie

Worriertoomuch
25-09-18, 02:05
Thank you all so much for your concern. I can't get an HIV test until October for the results to be accurate, and it'll be free. I'm still trying to find a cheap clinic, and I checked online and the closest CVS clinic is 54 miles away.
I know she says she tested, I just have a hard time believing she actually went since there is no proof. I know it sounds ridiculous because why would she have any reason to lie to me, but my worries are just getting the better of me.
And I really hope you're right Doxiemama, your support is very reassuring. I honestly haven't been getting enough sleep or food.I will try my best to stay positive. Thank you all for your support and listening to me even now. I probably sound insane, so thank you for still being there.

Blue23Blent
25-09-18, 02:48
Stress and anxiety can cause oral thrush flare up depending on bacteria in your mouth.

Worriertoomuch
26-09-18, 08:41
I really hope so. I am starting to feel better though, other than the oral thrush I no longer have any of those other symptoms. Maybe I just got a bad cold and the rest was just my stress and anxiety making it worse. Oral thrush does happen when you have a weakened immune system, and I'm sure the cold weakened my immune system and the stress and anxiety probably didn't help it either, I'm starting to become confident that maybe this was all just because I was so stressed out and worried. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. Sorry for the late response btw, I had an exam today so I was studying for that and trying my best to stay focused on it.

Shadowhawk
26-09-18, 12:51
While i have learned the hard way that sites love to list the dire stuff first (sometimes claiming it is the most likely), there are always other, less scary reasons. If you ever need to remind yourself of this... HIV has been around for decades, thrush has been with us for centuries.. ;)

I had thrush last year, and it was because i simply had dry mouth (i tended to mouth breath in sleep, which really dried it out). My mouth breathing was made worse because of my sleep apnea, but there are lots of reasons people may do it (deviated septum, congestion, etc). Don't focus on the extreme negative, especially when there are much simpler reasons to rule out first.

Dave_Lister
26-09-18, 20:25
How long ago was this exposure? I ask because oral thrush is only present in people with full blown AIDS and not HIV.

doxiemama
26-09-18, 22:41
Proud of you, keep studying! That's what you need to worry about! Your going to do great at the Doctor's :hugs:

Worriertoomuch
16-10-18, 21:08
Thank you everyone for coming along with me on this journey. You're all too kind and have helped me get through this. Sorry I haven't been active on here, not much to tell since y'all helped me get over my anxiety and I've been busy with clubs and school. I can't thank all of y'all enough, I mean it from the bottom of my heart. Well today is the day, I'm waiting for my results and I'll be sure to tell you all how it goes. Thank you all, you guys gave me the confidence to know I don't have it, and now all I'm waiting for is to hear the confirmation that I'm HIV negative and free from all this stress, worry and anxiety.

doxiemama
18-10-18, 01:54
Your going to do great!!!!! Can't wait to hear! :hugs:

Worriertoomuch
18-10-18, 22:53
Good news everyone!!! I'm HIV negative!!! No more worries, or stress, or anxiety!!! Thank you to everyone who supported me and believed in me! I owe all of y'all so much and I can't thank y'all enough. This ordeal is finally over and I feel great!!! Now I can finally study in peace! :D