PDA

View Full Version : Scared that colonoscopy missed my cancer

Mostu
22-09-18, 11:31
22 male here. Last December I bled after passing a stool, and two months later I had colonoscopy that showed a small benign polyp, otherwise than that it was all clear and docs said that there's no need to repeat the colonoscopy for a very long time, at least a decade. However, last Monday I noticed a pretty brisk bleeding when wiping(no blood in stool though) which subsided after couple minutes. Now let's break down the statistics:

-the chance of getting bowel cancer in your lifetime is low
-EVEN if I was supposed to get bowel cancer in my lifetime, 99% cases are in people 40 years old or older
-EVEN if I was in that 1 percent who gets cancer below the age of 40, colonoscopy cancer miss rate is about 6%

So, I would have to be pretty unlucky to have cancer now, however I got symptoms that don't really match anything. Most people would think hemorrhoids but I also have diarrhea since Tuesday. Help please

Katie55
22-09-18, 12:36
You can have internal haemorrhoids without knowing. I did and they bled a lot. Also scared myself silly worrying and so had constant diarrhoea, lost half a stone through that. Guess what? Clear colonoscopy, got my haemorrhoids treated and no more problems.

Mostu
22-09-18, 12:42
That's literally the outcome that I'm hoping for. Internal hemorrhoids and stress diarrhea. Thanks for sharing

StephA
22-09-18, 12:57
Highly unlikely cancer was missed! Also want to add that most people think that only hard stool can cause a hemorrhoid to flare or cause a fissure, but diarrhea can cause irritation down there and cause bleeding as well.

nomorepanic
22-09-18, 13:36
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Fishmanpa
22-09-18, 14:27
I just want to point out something I see here. You titled your thread;

Scared that colonoscopy missed my cancer

Do you notice the use of the possessive "my" in the title? It's like you consciously or subconsciously made it yours to validate your fear. You don't have cancer so it cannot be yours :lac:

Positive thoughts

KK77
22-09-18, 14:32
I just want to point out something I see here. You titled your thread;

Scared that colonoscopy missed my cancer

Do you notice the use of the possessive "my" in the title? It's like you consciously or subconsciously made it yours to validate your fear. You don't have cancer so it cannot be yours :lac:

Positive thoughts

I think "my anxiety" would have been more appropriate, but then that would validate their anxiety ;)

Ownership and all that :lac: