PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine gum and possible connection to GI issues?

Anxiousamyj
22-09-18, 19:26
I've been trying to think about my diet, possibly make some changes to help with my recent GI symptoms before I go running off to the doctor again. I haven't really been eating differently, have actually gained weight. These issues have been with me for quite awhile off and on when I think about it. Here's the thing, though... I have chewed nicotine gum pretty much constantly for at least 12 years. I drastically cut down and quit at times when I was pregnant, but mostly have been on it fkor all these years. Does anyone have experience with GI symptoms and nicotine gum? Some googling did tell me that stomach and give symptoms can be a side effect. Has anyone ever chewed it directly this long. I'm going to try to quit using it, although I know it'll be really hard, I'm so addicted to it.

RadioGaGa
23-09-18, 17:27
Anxiousamyj

Yes, nicotine replacement therapy, such as gum, can definitely cause issues with the bowels. Usually, nicotine can cause a bowel movement (hence why some smokers swear by it to 'stay regular') and also why some smokers experience constipation if they quit cold turkey.

Speak to your Pharmacist who can assist you further with quitting.

Good luck

ankietyjoe
23-09-18, 18:19
I gave up smoking when my partner became pregnant 11 years ago and went onto nicotine gum. I used it a lot, for a relatively long time (18 months or so) and developed very bad reflux at the same time. I don't think it's a coincident. Nicotine is an incredibly powerful chemical so I am 100% sure it was directly responsible for my reflux. It didn't take long for the cravings to go, I just switched over to normal chewing gum over the period of a few weeks until I wasn't chewing nicotine gum at all.

Anxiousamyj
23-09-18, 20:35
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm working on switching to regular chewing gum. Hoping to be nicotine free in a couple weeks! Wish me luck!

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

I'll add that I haven't smoked as much as one cigarette for 12 years, so I'm grateful that the gum allowed me to quit. I just don't think the intention was for me to be on it quite this long. I'm wondering if the new probiotics I started a week ago could be making a difference as well. I just feel constantly gassy and like my stools are loose. Going to try quitting the gum for a bit before I rush back to the doctor. This is obviously not an emergency, and I'm thinking quite clearly today as compared to a couple of days ago. Also going to work on my diet a bit, as I've been eating a lot of processed foods lately.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Joe, did your reflux resolve once you quit the gum? I'm hoping my bowel issues will clear up once the nicotine is out of my system.

ErinKC
23-09-18, 20:52
The probiotics could be changing things, too. I tried to use high probiotic yogurt once and it gave me so many GI issues I had to stop.

ankietyjoe
24-09-18, 10:19
[/COLOR]Joe, did your reflux resolve once you quit the gum? I'm hoping my bowel issues will clear up once the nicotine is out of my system.

No, but it also coincided with an enormous amount of stress happening, so it would be difficult to isolate just one cause.

My reflux was eventually cured by a combination of not eating reflux triggering foods (usually junk foods, takeaways etc) and using apple cider vinegar.