PDA

View Full Version : Completely despondent over dog

Weasley123
23-09-18, 01:16
Now I have ha for my dog

just got a ten month old chihuahua. He’s s young dog but full grown 3 lbs. I already love him more then any dog I’ve ever owned. I currently have 5 dogs abs I’ve lo#t 6. He had a Lyme vacibr today and 2 hrs later I noticed a swelling Under his arm pit. I called the vet expecting her to say it was a reaction to the vaccine she did not. We brought him in. She saud it felt like s lymph node but it wasn’t the node nearest the sight and he has no infection. I began to cry. She said it was very unlikely ti be lymphoma but not impossible. She couldn’t aspirate the lump maybe because it’s small. She gave him a steroid shot and to,d us to watch jt. I have sobbed all day literally u til my face is swollen and I’m physically ill. I dealt very well with my old dogs dying because they had full lives. If this puppy dies I feel ill truly be suicidal. Naturally I googled everything says ths5 dogs of all ages get lymphoma and thst rubbery emlargdc moving lymph nodes are a big sign.

planetschmanetpanic
23-09-18, 01:34
I'm so sorry you're going through this -- I've had lots of animals in my life, and I know how jarring that uncertainty can be. However, the vet said that it was very unlikely to be lymphoma, so try to keep that in your head. An old friend's dog had a little nodule on the top of her head that never went away but never grew or changed either, and she's still living a long and full life. Just like our bodies, animals' bodies just do strange things sometimes. Watch, wait, and (I know it's hard, but) just try to focus on having the same positive relationship with your dog. If it goes down, which is very likely, you can relax! If it stays up, it's still, again, most likely alright. The vet will know what to do, and he sounds like he's in incredibly good hands.

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-18, 02:02
I'm sorry to hear this.

I think you need to remember that a certain volume of the anxiety you feel is natural to anyone who hears something like this about a loved one. Anxiety may intensify it all, and the negative thinking traits as well as unhealthy obsessive-compulsive cycles kick in, but a certain amount is natural and I believe in being accepting of this because otherwise you kick yourself far too hard and just add to it all.

You're a dog lover, you've just had a new puppy and he's ill. Any dog lover would be anxious and worrying, it's natural. It's only the same as a parent hearing about their child, a spouse about their partner, a sibling about another, anyone hearing it about your parents, etc. So, give yourself a break about this.

Our dog was found to have a lump in his abdomen early on as a pup. The vet wanted to operate but we waiting until he was going to have his future fun curbed :winks: It turned out to be a cyst, as the vet suspected, and was safely removed with nothing ever coming from it. Now he's almost 12.

It's best to spend the time enjoying your puppy. Get some positivity from the love they show, it will help.

SarahNah
23-09-18, 02:07
My sister got her first dog with her partner last year. They are both dog people, we've had dogs all our lives and so did my sister partner. Around Christmas time last year, I was playing with the dog on the floor. When he rolled onto his back. I noticed something poking out of the fur just behind his leg. Behold a huge lump under his fur. It was like the size of a grape.

We were all heartbroken, the vet wasn't open till like two weeks after that. When my sister finally got a appointment, the vet just shrugged and said "It might be caner or it might be this cyst. Take this and come back in six weeks if it has't gone down." We were all heartbroken! Thankful four weeks later it started to go down and he was just fine.

I'm sending you all the positive vibes and I hope you and your puppy have lots of fun days together and these worries are over soon. I can understand it can be very distressing to handle. x!

Weasley123
23-09-18, 02:38
My husbsbd says I’m being i age. He just keeps chabribg the digs fine. I can’t help feeling thr lymph node non stop and sobbing. He had a steroid shot at 12 it’s no smsller

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 ----------

If he dies I’ll teuly be suicidal

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-18, 03:34
My sister got her first dog with her partner last year. They are both dog people, we've had dogs all our lives and so did my sister partner. Around Christmas time last year, I was playing with the dog on the floor. When he rolled onto his back. I noticed something poking out of the fur just behind his leg. Behold a huge lump under his fur. It was like the size of a grape.

We were all heartbroken, the vet wasn't open till like two weeks after that. When my sister finally got a appointment, the vet just shrugged and said "It might be caner or it might be this cyst. Take this and come back in six weeks if it has't gone down." We were all heartbroken! Thankful four weeks later it started to go down and he was just fine.

I'm sending you all the positive vibes and I hope you and your puppy have lots of fun days together and these worries are over soon. I can understand it can be very distressing to handle. x!

Our dog gets swollen follicles a fair bit so we sometimes find new lumps on him. We keep an eye on any lumps to see if anything changes or looks wrong though but so far nothing since the cyst.

---------- Post added at 03:34 ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 ----------

My husbsbd says I’m being i age. He just keeps chabribg the digs fine. I can’t help feeling thr lymph node non stop and sobbing. He had a steroid shot at 12 it’s no smsller

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 ----------

If he dies I’ll teuly be suicidal

Your anxiety is making you catastrophize. Even if the worst happened you have lost beloved pets many times and have a family, including other dogs, who need you.

It's the pain you feel right now, the mind starts blurting more things out at us.

No poking & prodding of his nodes though, just fusses & plays. Try to hold back on those compulsions as they just fuel the cycles, often more than they help reduce them (in OCD when it's bad).