PDA

View Full Version : Mole has changed. Spiralling big time

RadioGaGa
11-09-18, 20:59
Hi everyone

As some of you may know, I've gone through a break up recently. I think grief from this is manifesting as increased anxiety.

Now I'm worried about melanoma. I was with my GP yesterday as when I tried to have sex on the weekend with a new partner, "it" wouldn't work. She seemed confident in her dx that it was psychological, but arranged the necessary tests.

She was only an F2 doctor, so her confidence surprised me (although this is not an uncommon persona for junior doctors).

Then last night, I noticed a mole on my back. I'm 99% sure its always been there. But when my mum looked, she didnt like the look of it so said to get it checked. I was a frequent sunbed user when I was 20 until I was 21... haven't used one since

Downloaded SkinVision - saw some of my old pictures on there, including one of what I believe to be this current mole. SkinVision said it was low risk.

Saw the F2 again today, and she took one look at it and said "completley benign". She barely examined it.

Now I'm still worried. I've been texting one of my good friends, who's a medical student. He got a bit annoyed at me and said "its like you want someone to tell you it is"!! Which is not the case.

I'm debating going round to the dermatology clinic in work tomorrow and asking a dermatologist to take a look (this is common practice in the NHS!!)

Help :(

Fishmanpa
11-09-18, 23:09
You had some digital app tell you it was low risk (and oddly HA sufferers tend to believe digital advice), and a medical doctor affirming what the app said. I think you're good :winks:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
11-09-18, 23:13
You had some digital app tell you it was low risk (and oddly HA sufferers tend to believe digital advice), and a medical doctor affirming what the app said. I think you're good :winks:

Positive thoughts

Funny how that works....digital advice only wanted when it’s worst case scenario...

lofwyr
12-09-18, 00:32
Mums worry, it is their job. But unless I miss my mark, and your mum is a medical professional, try not to read too much into her words in this case.

RadioGaGa
17-09-18, 16:15
Hi everyone

- Last week noticed a mole on my back that looked different from the rest. Although fairly sure I've had it a while.

- Saw GP who said benign, contacted Dermatologist online, he also said he thinks its benign

- Today SkinVision text me to say a dermatologist had looked at it and to let my doctor see it at my next appointment. Stomach in knots. Feel sick. SkinVision rated it as "low Risk"

- In with GP at 17:30 tonight... Will update later. So worried.

Used sunbeds heavily when younger for about a year :(

Fishmanpa
17-09-18, 16:17
So you're believing an "app" over medical professionals who actually looked at it?

Positive thoughts

utrocket09
17-09-18, 16:33
Hi everyone

- Last week noticed a mole on my back that looked different from the rest. Although fairly sure I've had it a while.

- Saw GP who said benign, contacted Dermatologist online, he also said he thinks its benign

- Today SkinVision text me to say a dermatologist had looked at it and to let my doctor see it at my next appointment. Stomach in knots. Feel sick. SkinVision rated it as "low Risk"

- In with GP at 17:30 tonight... Will update later. So worried.

Used sunbeds heavily when younger for about a year :(

So you saw a derm online...instead of just scheduling with one?

RadioGaGa
17-09-18, 17:44
Saw GP. She was my regular GP. She said she’d bet her house on it that it’s not melanoma. She also said to delete app.

She did agree to refer me as a ‘red flag’ as she saw I was anxious. Thanking her for that as it will put my mind at ease...I hooe

Elen
17-09-18, 17:51
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

RadioGaGa
18-09-18, 21:29
Hi everyone. Need to check in with you all as my anxiety has genuinely never been this bad.

Today I was at a conference related to work (we were talking about a drug at one stage, called Dabrafenib, which is used to treat melanoma- my current fear).

I emailed SkinVision asking why they thought my mole needed examined, and sort of complained that they've caused a lot of anxiety without telling me why. I got a very scripted reply, albeit they did say "there is currently nothing worrying" about my mole.

I still can't help but shake the fear that two GPs were wrong and one online dermatologist are wrong. As they did include in the email that their dermatologists have been doing this for 10 years.

Although, it could be as simple as a dysplastic nevus (atypical mole). I'm fairly sure I've had this for at LEAST a year and a half.

Problem? I've asked work for the rest of the week off. And I'll probably end up drinking at night. My appetite is just non-existent. These next two weeks are going to be the longest two weeks of my life.

:(

Blue23Blent
18-09-18, 23:08
You’re good! Have it removed if you worry about it.

RadioGaGa
20-09-18, 15:13
Well everyone - the Dermatology Outpatient clinic phoned. It's at the hospital I work at. Problem? The earliest they can see me is 31/10/2018 (in Northern Ireland, the two week rule ONLY applies to breast cancer)

So no way, I said! Tomorrow I'm able to get in privately with a dermatologist! It's costing me £180, but I think that's alot better than a 6 week wait!!

Still seriously worried. Haven't really been eating. And I'm drinking a lot at night time :(

RadioGaGa
21-09-18, 18:29
Another unfounded fear.

The mole in question didn’t bother the dermatologist at all. She is sure it’s benign. She didn’t a full head to toe exam with her nurse. Photographed a few moles and to go back in 3 months.

She was extremely pleasant. Very well qualified in skin cancer and has nearly 40 years experience!!

So yes I recommend staying away from skin vision and seeing your doctors.

Lesson learned (for now)

RadioGaGa
24-09-18, 15:23
I’ve had a mole worry issue after SkinVision contacted me to see my GP about a mole. I’ve heard of them doing this and then someone has cancer

I’ve seen four doctors over this. All said it looked fine. The dermatologist I saw privately didn’t even want to biopsy it. But then I wasn’t aware it had changed.

Butt now I’ve found a picture of the mole from 3 yearsr ago. It has changed. I know you can’t diagnose, but would you be worried about this? I’m in with an MHS dermatologist this Thursday. I’m going to demand a biopsy.

This picture shows the lesion in October 2015, February 2017 and last week. Please note that the mole is at different angles in the photos - the border has not changed, just got darker in the centre

It’s about 4mm widest

nomorepanic
24-09-18, 15:52
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Happy35
24-09-18, 16:51
Good you are going to see a dermatologist, but it could look darker as your skin tone is darker on the 3rd photo compared to the last one.

Try not to worry too much, am sure it will be fine.

Blue23Blent
24-09-18, 20:22
If a dermatologist said it looks good then by golly it looks good.

RadioGaGa
24-09-18, 21:33
I know I wish I could accept this! THREE General Practitioners, my Dermatologist on Friday and an online Dermatologist have all said its fine. So this will be the sixth one on Thursday. I really want it biopsied though for peace of mind :(

I know the change is only slight, but even still! :(

RadioGaGa
26-09-18, 18:51
Sorry I know I'm probably annoying everyone with this but my appointment with the NHS Dermatologist is tomorrow. It's at the hospital I work at, at 13:45.

I'm trying to use logic - surely the private Dermatologist would have seen anything suspicious when she used the Dermatoscope the other day... But then she didn't know it had changed in the centre.

Has anyone else had anything similar (e.g. mole changing) and it turned out to be benign?

Feeling so sick and I've no idea how I'll cope if this is anything serious :(

RadioGaGa
27-09-18, 14:36
Saw dermatologist. She examined with dermatoscope. She is also convinced it’s be benign despite the change. She told me to stop worrying and that it’s nothing.

Got the f**king thing removed so results could be up to 4 weeks.

Still panicking as it’s such a long wait. Why can’t I listen to five different doctors?

RadioGaGa
10-10-18, 13:05
Two weeks and nothing. This wait is awful. Could be another two weeks :(

RadioGaGa
18-10-18, 18:05
UPDATE

Today I phoned the consultant's secretary, and she said the results weren't in, but she'd check LabCentre (computer programme which contains lab results taken in our Trust)

She then said they were in, she'd leave them out for the Consultant this afternoon to look at and I should hear shortly.

I then (to try and figure out what she'd seen) said "will I hear by letter or phone call?"and the secretary said something about sometimes the consultant will phone to go through the results "if she has time" and something about a letter. She did say that I should "leave it until Monday or Tuesday"

I then got too paranoid in work and phoned her again and begged if I could find out the results today. She said she'd email the consultant and ask her if she could contact me re: the results. And again she "might" phone if she has time.

I'm worried it's melanoma and I feel so low. But part of me is panicking less because she said "leave it to Tuesday" because, by that stage,the letter could arrive.

What does everyone think? The consultant never phoned despite seeing my results this afternoon.

I'm off tomorrow and I'm going out to get drunk tonight :(

Fishmanpa
18-10-18, 18:26
What does everyone think?...I'm off tomorrow and I'm going out to get drunk tonight :(

It's been weeks. If it were serious, you would have heard by now.

I think you're spiraling over this and getting drunk is a really bad idea! :lac:

Positive thoughts

RadioGaGa
19-10-18, 00:20
@Fishmanpa

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly, I had my biopsy carried out on the NHS, rather than with my "private" dermatologist. What's bad about this is, it's commonplace for people with melanoma to wait 3, 4 or even more weeks just to find out. The sole reason being because it's done on the NHS.

Had I had this done with my private Derma, I'd have had the results phoned through to me (good or bad) within the week. Oh how I regret not pushing for the biopsy with her.

I'll be phoning the secretary tomorrow because I can't take this wait any longer. It's tearing me up inside, and whether the result be good or bad, I just need to know.

I'll keep you all updated

RadioGaGa
19-10-18, 09:13
After all this drama I’ve caused (and my drunken rant last night)

I’m happy to say the consultant just phoned and the mole is BENIGN!

snowflake293
19-10-18, 09:27
I am glad you are ok :) It is such a relief when you find out it is nothing to worry about when you have been so anxious and worried.

Skin c-word used to be one of my number 1 fears/triggers. I remember having full-on meltdowns in doctors waiting rooms over going to see them about moles. Bizarrely, I can look back now and just laugh - but at the time it was horrendous.

You never have to apologise for talking about your fears by the way.

Are you getting and help for your anxiety at the moment?

RadioGaGa
19-10-18, 10:39
snowflake93

Thanks for your kind words :) I just feel so embarrassed because I work at the same hospital (in Pharmacy) because they all probably know I have health anxiety now.

And when the consultant phoned this morning, I was so speechless/over the moon I could hardly speak... I didn't really say much so I'm hoping she didn't think I was rude.

I've got CBT scheduled with my GP (although she's unsure how soon that will be).

Definitely I *NEED* to go for this CBT as the anxiety is out of hand now. I lost 9lbs over the last month with worry/not eating.

I'm actually able to relax today - haven't felt this in a long time.

So, just to reassure anyone who reads this in the future worried about a changing mole - mine got darker in the centre, which as we all know, change is a worrying sign, but particularly when it's in the centre and not throughout the mole... But despite this, my mole was still benign - as over 90% of changing moles are, just as my case has proven

snowflake293
19-10-18, 11:31
snowflake93

Thanks for your kind words :) I just feel so embarrassed because I work at the same hospital (in Pharmacy) because they all probably know I have health anxiety now.

And when the consultant phoned this morning, I was so speechless/over the moon I could hardly speak... I didn't really say much so I'm hoping she didn't think I was rude.

I've got CBT scheduled with my GP (although she's unsure how soon that will be).

Definitely I *NEED* to go for this CBT as the anxiety is out of hand now. I lost 9lbs over the last month with worry/not eating.

I'm actually able to relax today - haven't felt this in a long time.

So, just to reassure anyone who reads this in the future worried about a changing mole - mine got darker in the centre, which as we all know, change is a worrying sign, but particularly when it's in the centre and not throughout the mole... But despite this, my mole was still benign - as over 90% of changing moles are, just as my case has proven

You sound very similar to me. When my anxiety is bad it affects my appetite too. Make sure you eat some nice, wholesome nourishing meals to help your body replenish itself now :)

Never be ashamed of anything mental health related (I know that is easier said than done) It must be super difficult working in a pharmacy when you have health anxiety. You should be proud of yourself for having the insight to know it is anxiety related now and seeking help to get CBT.

You will get through this :) Well done!

Fishmanpa
19-10-18, 16:21
After all this drama I’ve caused (and my drunken rant last night)

I’m happy to say the consultant just phoned and the mole is BENIGN!

Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood "Told Ya So Gang" :winks:

https://media.giphy.com/media/RQDEZNuHP1LTG/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts