PDA

View Full Version : I can’t breath! Feels like im Suffocating

Scared1988
25-09-18, 07:11
Hi do any of you get air hunger? I have the urge to take a deep breath litrually every 10 seconds! Its hurting my chest so bad. Its there as soon as i open my eyes, i have had it on and off for years but last night was so bad i couldnt take a deep breath and i feel like i was suffocating. Its the scarest feeling ever by far the worst anxiety symptom ive ever had. I was in full blown panic feeling so dizzy and as if i would pass out. How do i stop this? I cant stop thinking about it. I must take 100s of deep breathes through the day and i do it even when im not thinking about it now but im not getting that satisfied feeling anymore i just constanly feel like i cant breath and im going to pass out!

Please help someone!

Graceski
25-09-18, 15:45
Hey, it sounds like hyperventilation, very common with anxiety and panic disorder. There are many breathing techniques you can try when you feel like you are not breathing properly to regulate the breath and calm back down. There are certain apps you can download on your phone where you follow a breathing "bubble", or you can try something simple like breathing in for 4 seconds, holding for 2, and breathing out for 4 seconds (example) until you feel your breath return to normal.

meche
26-09-18, 14:28
I sympathise hugely. I'm going through this right now and it's driving me mad. I've had my anxiety under control for a while now but the past month has been quite stressful for me both personally and professionally. I thought I was holding up pretty good but all of a sudden hyperventilation has come at me like a bus & my breathing is all over the place - been ongoing for about a week now & I never get a full satisfying breath. My chest feels heavy & tight, my shoulders and back are aching, I feel dizzy and my hands get tingly & numb. The only time I get reprieve from it is when I'm sleeping & that's how I know it's anxiety. When I'm distracted I don't focus so much on it but the second I do....... :huh:!! I've got so much trapped air in my chest now that I can feel & hear it gurgling!!! Breathing exercises help temporarily & lying on my back & stretching also helps but experience has taught me that it generally clears up on its own eventually. Hope you feel better soon & just know you're not alone. Big hugs.

Blue23Blent
26-09-18, 16:24
I also have this often. Then you go to doctors and they say respiratory and breathing sounds good.