PDA

View Full Version : Short of breath

brizo
21-08-07, 14:24
Constantly short of breath. I've had tests, a couple of years ago, that said my lungs and heart were fine. Things seem to be going from bad to worse though and it seems i'm constantly struggling to get a full breath in. I now take taxis most places i go to because of this and feeling panicky on public transport. Is this a normal sign of anxiety? i know a lot of people have 'breathless' moments but this is from the minute i wake up until i eventually fall asleep which is usually around 20 hours later. Anyone else have this symptom?

Panicked_Princess
21-08-07, 14:32
Being short of breath is a VERY common side effect of anxiety. It feels like you can't get enough air in. I had it all the time a few years ago. It is usually due to muscle tension (whether you feel it or not). Try doing some stretches that stretch the chest muscles when you feel like this. It should give you some relief. :winks:

brizo
21-08-07, 16:31
Thanks for replying PP. I know breathlessness is a common symptom, it's just that this is constant now. I've had breathless moments a lot in the last few years but this has been getting steadily worse until i'm now at this stage. I thought at first it was maybe the start of agoraphobia but it's even when i'm sitting at home now too.

dizzyd
21-08-07, 18:24
Just had to reply to this one - :)
I know how you feel - I never used to have this as an anxiety symptom, but I have of late.
I yawn, sigh, gulp for air, have my jaw dropped open like a goldfish, feel like I can't fill my lungs etc This can happen for days at a time then abait and then come back.
Recent blood tests say my Iron levels are fine so I guess I just have to accept that it is anxiety in another guise!!
You know I have said it before and will say it again - Acceptance is the key. If you have been assured that you are ok by your doc. then acceptance takes the fear away.
It can be so hard to accept but I am proof that it works. I am obviously still anxious at times ( infact I have just sighed very heavily typing this!_ :shrug: ) But, it doesn't have a strong hold on me anymore. I can live life and just accept Mr Anxiety accompanies me sometimes.
Love Dawn x
PS Hope you are reassured by the fact that others also have your horrible symptoms?

brizo
23-08-07, 18:39
Thanks Dawn, yeah it does help. A bit :sign20:

delta
24-08-07, 01:28
Hi
I can relate to what you are saying, I've struggled with breathing problems for years. I've had breathing retraining but my hyperventilation problem is habitual so I can't see a way out of it at the moment.

I would recommend a good book for you to read, it's brilliant, it's by Dinah Bradley and called Hyperventilation Syndrome, read it!

HTH

skitty
24-08-07, 02:14
YES Brizo, I can totally relate. :hugs:
I had this problem for something like two years, up until about 6 months ago in fact. I even had a huge panic attack on a bus because I couldnt breathe. I made the driver let me off near the hospital and just sat on the front fence for an hour or 2 (felt a bit better - I guess i figured that someone would find me there if I did collapse!):blush:
Anyway eventually I found that breathing out all the way helped alleviate the symptoms - push all the air totally out of your lungs slowly.
Also this site really helped - its about dearousal through hyperventilation control.

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/content/external/frame.cfm?ObjID=0000C3A1-EC3A-1F2D-9C5383032BFA006D

P.S Good luck - and (easier said than done) ignore it - it WILL GO away.

brizo
24-08-07, 12:06
Thanks Delta, i'll get that book ASAP. It really does help a bit that others have the same symptoms. I'm sure i'm not alone in thinking that the doctors missed something, no matter how many check-ups we have had, and this helps alleviate it. Somewhat, not all the way, but somewhat.

Thanks Skitty will check it out now, link is much appreciated:yesyes:

Bri

brizo
24-08-07, 12:09
Link doesn't seem to be working Skitty:shrug:

Thanks anyway.

Bri

ksmith
24-08-07, 22:57
Have you had your blood sugar checked lately? Breathlessness can be one of the symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes. It only takes a minute or two to check blood sugar levels.

Kay x

brizo
25-08-07, 07:29
Thanks Kay, i don't think i have ever had my blood sugar checked. Wasn't aware that it may be connected. Cheers

Bri x

skitty
25-08-07, 16:01
hi Brizo - sorry , me again. Starting to feel like a stalker! Listen I just remembered ....one of the main things i learned about all this breathlessness business is that the sensations of not getting enough air, gulping for air, suffocating, yawning etc are actually caused by OVER breathing in other words hyperventilation. What you need to do is some slow breathing exercises (google it).
A quick fix which I actually found very effective to raise your blood co2 levels is breathing into a paper bag. I started carrying one around with me just in case until i learned the slow breathing. Looks a bit stupid in public i agree but hey so does getting dragged to hospital in an ambulance with nothing but a hyperventilation attack! cheers skitty x

craiglc36
03-09-07, 19:48
Hi . I have been sufering from anxiety / panic attacks for 3 yrs now . I have even had CBT , But lately by breathing has become very difficult . I can't seem to get a full lung full of air , and when I can't it triggers something inside me .I feel I am going to pass out or worse . Doctors keep telling me it is anxiety ,but my problem is acceptance . I cant help feeling they are missing something . Even though 5 docs have said the same thing , so I am being refered for more lengthy CBT . you are not alone . In the last lot of CBT They taught me some breathing exercises , but It hits me so fast sometimes I cannot react quick enough and it overwhelms me .