PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety or Something Serious?

Blue23Blent
25-09-18, 14:32
I don't know about you guys but this is a battle that I have been facing for months. I experience symptoms and I am concerned, worried, and all of those things.

Then my wife tells me it's just health anxiety but then I always think but what if it isn't?

How do you determined is it health anxiety or something serious so you aren't constantly going to the doctor every month?

How do you cope with this?

Elen
25-09-18, 14:41
From listening to other sufers they know when something is really wrong.

The usual advice is to set yourself a time limit before looking for re assurance.

So maybe one week before posting on here and two weeks before contacting a doctor.

It helps to break the cycle.

Blue23Blent
25-09-18, 14:45
That's a good idea. I do know that often I feel like something is seriously wrong and it's not normal as I do now. Then I go to Doctor, ENT, etc and they don't find or at least see anything serious.

I still have symptoms though! How can it not be serious is what goes through my head?

ErinKC
25-09-18, 14:54
I do something similar. I usually try to wait a week to see if it passes. I also try to think back on of I've had the symptoms before and what happened. If something persists and is really bothering me I'll call the doctor. I know this forum frowns upon seeking reassurance from the doctor, but my therapist has always told me, if you feel sick and it's making you panic, go to the doctor. I can usually tell the difference between anxiety and real issues, but when I really can't the only thing that helps ground me is my doctor.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

I'll add that anxiety can produce really intense at symptoms and also make mild, nonserious things worse. I've had so many issues that I think are probably a combo. I get lots of weird nerve stuff. I think I have some ostioarthritis and disc issues from bad posture and pregnancy, but I definitely make them worse when anxious because of tension and stress.

richieron446
25-09-18, 18:46
I do something similar. I usually try to wait a week to see if it passes. I also try to think back on of I've had the symptoms before and what happened. If something persists and is really bothering me I'll call the doctor. I know this forum frowns upon seeking reassurance from the doctor, but my therapist has always told me, if you feel sick and it's making you panic, go to the doctor. I can usually tell the difference between anxiety and real issues, but when I really can't the only thing that helps ground me is my doctor.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

I'll add that anxiety can produce really intense at symptoms and also make mild, nonserious things worse. I've had so many issues that I think are probably a combo. I get lots of weird nerve stuff. I think I have some ostioarthritis and disc issues from bad posture and pregnancy, but I definitely make them worse when anxious because of tension and stress.Hey Erin I try to address things in the same manner. I am currently going through a new HA scare myself.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk