PDA

View Full Version : HELP Has anyone else had a Sinus infected before?

josh1987
27-09-18, 13:00
Has anyone else had a Sinus infected before? I'm looking for tips and tricks to help clear it up as I have a big fear with taking antibiotics. Thanks

ErinKC
27-09-18, 13:46
Hi Josh - My doctor always tells me to try Flonase first for sinus issues. Most sinus infections are viral so they go away on their own. Try drinking lots of fluids, Flonase, and other decongestants.

fidgetninja
27-09-18, 13:58
Hi there - if it's a bacterial infection, I believe antibiotics are the only true way to get rid of the infection. Viral infection should go away eventually. For a more naturalistic relief method, I've had luck with a Neti Pot.

josh1987
27-09-18, 14:01
Hi Josh - My doctor always tells me to try Flonase first for sinus issues. Most sinus infections are viral so they go away on their own. Try drinking lots of fluids, Flonase, and other decongestants.

What's that?

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

Hi there - if it's a bacterial infection, I believe antibiotics are the only true way to get rid of the infection. Viral infection should go away eventually. For a more naturalistic relief method, I've had luck with a Neti Pot.

What are these Neti pot?

ErinKC
27-09-18, 14:05
It looks like it might be called Flixonase in your neck of the woods. It's an antihistamine nasal spray that can help dry up the fluid.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Neti pot is a small tea pot that you use to pour saline through your sinuses to rinse them.

Elen
27-09-18, 14:06
Please read the below message from Admin. You are posting about a lot of different things frequently. Perhaps start a thread where you can keep all of your worries in one place.

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

josh1987
27-09-18, 14:18
Please read the below message from Admin. You are posting about a lot of different things frequently. Perhaps start a thread where you can keep all of your worries in one place.

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Only on here

ChocolateButton
27-09-18, 14:33
Has anyone else had a Sinus infected before? I'm looking for tips and tricks to help clear it up as I have a big fear with taking antibiotics. Thanks

Yes, I have sinus infections quite often - in fact I've got one at the moment, and am currently on antibiotics and waiting for the dull pain in my face to go away. :)

One thing I find helps clears the gunk in one's nose is Sterimar - it's a bottle of salt water pre-mixed to the right combination, which you spray into your nose - feels a bit strange the first time you use it, but it does help (it's similar to the Neti Pot idea but pre-mixed basically).

You should be able to find it at your local chemist.

josh1987
27-09-18, 14:38
Yes, I have sinus infections quite often - in fact I've got one at the moment, and am currently on antibiotics and waiting for the dull pain in my face to go away. :)

One thing I find helps clears the gunk in one's nose is Sterimar - it's a bottle of salt water pre-mixed to the right combination, which you spray into your nose - feels a bit strange the first time you use it, but it does help (it's similar to the Neti Pot idea but pre-mixed basically).

You should be able to find it at your local chemist.

May I ask what symptoms do you get? Mine is like a fresh feeling or and burning. How long does it last?

ChocolateButton
27-09-18, 15:10
May I ask what symptoms do you get? Mine is like a fresh feeling or and burning. How long does it last?

For me it's two main symptoms:
- an awful dull pain in my cheeks and nose and behind my eyebrows, (I liken it to feeling like I've been smacked in the face with a football),
- along with (ickyness alert) green nasal discharge.

And generally feeling poorly.

Lasts for a while with me; this one has been going on about a week and a half already before I decided the Sinutab just wasn't cutting it (that's usually my first go-to medicine). I expect it to last probably about another week yet now I'm on the antibiotics - if it lasts longer I'll be back to the GP.

I've never had it as a fresh or burning feeling though.

But everyone's different so your mileage may vary, as they say.

Hope you feel better soon anyway.

josh1987
27-09-18, 15:16
For me it's two main symptoms:
- an awful dull pain in my cheeks and nose and behind my eyebrows, (I liken it to feeling like I've been smacked in the face with a football),
- along with (ickyness alert) green nasal discharge.

And generally feeling poorly.

Lasts for a while with me; this one has been going on about a week and a half already before I decided the Sinutab just wasn't cutting it (that's usually my first go-to medicine). I expect it to last probably about another week yet now I'm on the antibiotics - if it lasts longer I'll be back to the GP.

I've never had it as a fresh or burning feeling though.

But everyone's different so your mileage may vary, as they say.

Hope you feel better soon anyway.

I mean inside my nose feels like that

ChocolateButton
27-09-18, 15:35
I mean inside my nose feels like that

That can happen if the tissue is irritated; did you know the reason that sterimar, neti pots and the like use salt water is that it is compatible with the insides of our noses.

When I first discovered the concept of nasal irrigation, many years ago now, I made the mistake of trying to squirt some plain water up my nose. That stung for a while, I can tell you :shrug:

So... is there anything that might have irritated the inside of your nose? Could be an allergy of some sort?

josh1987
27-09-18, 16:17
That can happen if the tissue is irritated; did you know the reason that sterimar, neti pots and the like use salt water is that it is compatible with the insides of our noses.

When I first discovered the concept of nasal irrigation, many years ago now, I made the mistake of trying to squirt some plain water up my nose. That stung for a while, I can tell you :shrug:

So... is there anything that might have irritated the inside of your nose? Could be an allergy of some sort?

I sent you a PM. I hope you dont mind

Magic
27-09-18, 16:20
Just wanted to say I am currently taking antibiotics for sinuses. I was having toothache as well as blocked nose and headaches and face ache
My toothache has gone and my breathing is fine. No face ache either Not finished the antibiotics yet.

josh1987
27-09-18, 16:25
Just wanted to say I am currently taking antibiotics for sinuses. I was having toothache as well as blocked nose and headaches and face ache
My toothache has gone and my breathing is fine. No face ache either Not finished the antibiotics yet.

What symptoms did you have? How long has it been

Fishmanpa
27-09-18, 16:35
I would say that just about the entire world population has had sinus infections at one time or another. I had many, many, many throughout my life, both viral and bacterial. While it's not pleasant, it's easily remedied. Everyone reacts differently but there are similarities as seen in the responses.

If you're really feeling poorly and have yellow or green discharge, it's worth seeing your doctor as that's a sign of infection. Otherwise, the remedies mentioned the replies are worth trying. OTC pain meds can help with any discomfort.

Positive thoughts

Magic
27-09-18, 16:49
What symptoms did you have? How long has it been

Hi Again, I had been having toothache on and off for eighteen months. and face ache on the same side---- had x ray the dentist said nothing wrong with my tooth. Took me ages to eat properly. He said it could be sinuses. Go to see doctor. So I went and she said it could be neuralgia or sinuses. To go back if the antibiotics don't work. It seems that the two week course is working. If it comes back I shall go to see GP again.
This is my reply to you, but remember we are all different. What is right for me it might not be right for you. Good Luck

jray23
27-09-18, 18:35
I'm having sinus pressure and irritated nasal passages myself right now, along with dryness and dried blood coming out with the mucus when I blow my nose. That time of year I guess.

I'm surprised at the number of people taking antibiotics for this here. 90% of sinus infections are viral, and antibiotics are useless if it is a viral infection.

Usually home care will improve symptoms in a week or so. Drink a lot of water, stay hydrated, etc. I use Flonase too. One thing I didn't see mentioned directly was saline nasal spray. Same concept as the poster who talked about salt water. Supposed to help keep nasal passages and sinuses from drying out. Perhaps run a humidifier in your bedroom too if you are feeling dryness.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

josh1987
28-09-18, 00:02
So is antibiotics the only way?

jray23
28-09-18, 00:34
In most cases antibiotics do not help. Only if the infection is bacterial will it help. You'd need a doctor to know.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk