PDA

View Full Version : Think I have Iron Poisoning! Please Help!

Cara1985
27-09-18, 20:02
Hi, I recently started taking high dose iron tablets, 65mg, bought them off amazon. I’m a vegetarian so I’ve been taking iron tablets for years but never that strength. I have taken the 65mg ones for 3 weeks everyday and recently have had stomach pains and really bad dihorea. I feel like an idiot, I didn’t realise you could get iron poisoning. I’m not even sure in have low iron, never been to the doctor about it.

I have stopped taking them but have read t can lead to death or brain and liver damage or cancer! I am so scared, I have a son and partner and don’t want to leave them, I’m so stupid! The stomach pains have stopped and not so much dihorea but read the iron can build up. Terrified I’m going to have a seizure or something.

ankietyjoe
27-09-18, 20:54
Stomach pains and diarrhoea are a common side effect of taking high doses of iron, and don't indicate poisoning. Just stop taking them.

You don't need to take iron supplements if you're a vegetarian anyway, they're not good for you and your body doesn't really absorb that much anyway. You can get plenty of iron from dark, leafy greens, beans, pulses, tofu etc. More than plenty.

Take a look at a website like cronometer where you can track and measure your macros. You're probably not deficient anyway.

Cara1985
27-09-18, 21:20
Thank you for replying. I know, I’ve just always taken them and recently started taking the 65mg ones as I have been depressed and always feel tired and unmotivated. They where giving me an energy boost. Earlier on I had upper abdomin pain when I breathed so googled it and it’s exactly where my spleen is. I also read that you can go into a coma with iron toxicity!

Capercrohnj
27-09-18, 21:44
Yes those are common side effects.

Do you actually have low iron or are you just guessing? You don't need iron pills unless your ferritin or serum iron is confirmed to be low and a dr tells you to take them.

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-18, 01:55
Very common reaction to certain types of these pills. The ones GP's give out are well known to cause stomach problems and constipation.

Midwives speak well of the water variety (Spatone I think it's called) as it is gentle on the body and absorbed better.

Cara1985
28-09-18, 07:22
Hi, no I was just guessing, extremely stupid I know! I’m so mad at myself. I keep reading stuff about it online, it’s so toxic! Was even scared to go to sleep last night in case I didn’t wake up. Just waiting on something happening now, even if it’s not soon, think I might have damaged something or even get cancer.