PDA

View Full Version : Blood in phlegm

Mumzy
12-06-18, 21:22
So was just stood in the kitchen at an hour ago and felt my right nostril and there was blood there not loads but enough to need a tissue and then I noticed there was blood in my phlegm. Seems to of settled now. This is the third time it’s happened in 4/5 months. And it’s only ever the right nostril. Should I be worried?

roseanxiety
14-06-18, 03:32
I had two nosebleeds a week apart and did ALOT of reading about them. They’re usually harmless and from broken blood vessels in the nose. I also read that it takes a couple weeks for it to heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Also read there is no need to see a doctor unless you’re having more than 2 in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mumzy
14-06-18, 11:40
Ah thanks for your response :) think I was more concerned because it was only from my right nostril

Mumzy
09-08-18, 11:38
Really disappointed as yesterday was actually a really positive day for me anxiety wise.
So around 7pm yesterday I was putting fuel in my car and all of a sudden tasted blood in my mouth. When I got back into the car I spat into a tissue and it was blood mixed with spit. (Bright red) I then bought up some phlegm and there was a fair bit of blood there (sorry tmi). I drank some water checked again by bringing up phlegm around half hour later and it looked clear.
Nothing today.
Does this seem concerning?

ankietyjoe
09-08-18, 11:58
It's most likely to be from your gums, which is pretty common.

Try flossing, if blood appears then it's even more likely.

Have you had a cough recently? A few years back I had a nasty chest infection and coughed up blood a couple of times. I was told that it can happen when you pinch a blood vessel with the effort of coughing, but it was nothing to worry about.

There are plenty of benign reasons that you'd cough up blood, but it's worth getting checked out anyway.

Mumzy
09-08-18, 13:55
Thanks for your response.
I really don’t think it was from my gums though :/
I’ve had an ongoing cough for around 7 weeks! I don’t feel Ill at all just a dry cough. My GP said it may be to do with anxiety or GERD. I had a chest X-ray at beginning of June which came back all clear. As did bloods. (Apart from bilirubin levels higher than the norm but I’ve since had a scan on my liver and came back clear)
Just frightening when you see blood and you don’t know where it’s coming from or why.

SkyBlue252
13-08-18, 17:57
I have a problem with GERD I do get issues wity my throat but no blood, the only time I get blood is when I go for a run or after cycling and I clear my throat. Do you clear your throat a lot? It may cause it to bleed. Also GERD can irritated the esophagus.

Mumzy
18-08-18, 11:59
Thanks for responding.
Not sure what’s going on. I guess I do clear my throat a fair bit if I really think about it.
It happened again last night.
Frightens me and makes me go into a bit of a panic.
Hubby said I should try not to worry as it soon stops and also there’s not loads of it. It’s very red though.

ankietyjoe
18-08-18, 12:14
If you still have the cough it's possible that you'll strain enough to bring up the odd bit of blood. As I said it happened to me a few times.

But I would still get it checked.

Mumzy
18-08-18, 13:01
Thanks, I’ve managed to get an appointment to see my GP on Monday morning.
As for coughing thatsbreally settled and I’ve hardly coughed over the last week

Clydesdale Epona
19-08-18, 00:15
It's good your symptoms have settled,

I'm prone to chest infections and I can assure I've always had a bit of blood in my phlegm it's not as uncommon or dangerous as some assume, of course with certain symptoms it's best to get checked but if it's with a cough it's likely all that coughing that's brought it up so just seek a GPS advice on what you can do.

My older brother once had a bad cough for weeks (TMI)
he brought up a lot of blood and it turns out he just popped a vessel in his throat from it all.

So definitely rest assured stay calm it will be fine :)

Mumzy
20-08-18, 13:33
Went to GP this morning. She didn’t seem overly concerned then looked at her computer to see what the process was. She sent me for an X-ray (which I had done once I left the doctors) and she also sent an urgent referral to the hospital so I’ll be seen within 2 weeks. She say they may just want to chat to me or may want to do a CT scan and possibly but very slim chance a bronscopy (I really hope not as the thought of me being put to sleep or sedated is enough to send me into a panic)

Mumzy
21-08-18, 11:24
So I’ve just had my chest X-ray results back and was told heart normal lungs clear and no change from the X-ray I had 10 weeks ago so I guess this is a positive

Mumzy
28-09-18, 12:39
So his has been happening on and off since March/April time. Prob around once a month.
Went to GP who referred me to the respiratory department at my local hospital, where 2 weeks ago I had a CT scan.
I seen the consultant last Friday who told me my CT scan was clean apart from a 7mm nodule on my lung so need re scan in 3 months but this has nothing to do with the bleeding. Also done a breathing test and was told it was excellent. Had bloods taken and came back normal.
This bleeding started for no apparent reason. I could be just sat down watching tv and suddenly taste blood in my mouth and then I’d bring up phlegm (sorry tmi) because I’d get so frightened I’d just want to see it clear. It does always pass and lasts prob half hour.
This morning after I’d been up around 10 mins my throat felt phlegmy so I bought it up and was so frightened as there was a fair bit of blood there. This was 5 hours ago and nothing since.
Even though I had a clean CT scan I’m still worrying about this and it’s making me feel very sad.
(I did try to upload a pic but not sure how to do it)

Katie55
28-09-18, 13:35
Could it be from your nose? I think an innocent weak blood vessel in the nose can drip down and make phlegm red. Or a loose tooth or inflamed gum? What does the doctor think it is?

Mumzy
28-09-18, 13:51
Hi Katie

The consultant at the hospital said she’s going to refer me to ENT so they can pop a microscope up my nose for a little look to see if they can see anything. I’ve not had my appointment letter as yet.
She did say as the chest looked clear there was a strong possibility it could be coming from the nose (though apart from 2 very small ones I’ve not had a nose bleed since May/June time) but I guess maybe it could be coming from the back of my nose rather than my chest.
I know I should take comfort in the fact I had a clef CT scan along with the breathing test and blood tests.
But this still worries me :weep:

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

*clear

Elen
28-09-18, 15:31
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Katie55
28-09-18, 18:47
I can understand how you're worried as stupid HA makes you think the worst and doubt good test results. Hope you get it sorted out very soon

Mumzy
28-09-18, 21:26
I’ve spent a lot of this evening upset and in tears

ErinKC
28-09-18, 21:32
I would definitely suspect your nose vs lungs. When you say that you bring up phlegm, do you mean cough hard and then spit, or just kind of hock it up from the back of your throat? If it's the latter it's almost certainly just from your nose. You said you haven't have a bloody nose since the summer, but just the fact that you had one then would tell me you likely have drier sinuses or weaker capillaries in your nose, which would make some occasional blood totally normal.

Mumzy
28-09-18, 21:40
Hi Erin

Without meaning to sound gross it’s more me bringing up the phlegm rather than me couching then spitting.

I really hope it is more so coming from my nose if I’m honest.

There was really quite a lot this morning, my phlegm was totally red (sorry too much info) but just that one lot and stopped nothing more since

Carnation
29-09-18, 01:20
Mumzy, I have been experiencing a very similar situation to yours. Have you thought of having a check up with the dentist? Just so you can cross out teeth, gums and mouth from the list. I wondered whether mine was from a sinus infection as I do suffer with my sinuses a lot!
My dentist did say that you can have bleeding for days from your gums. Just a thought. x

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

Just to add a bit more info. Warning tmi. I would taste blood in my mouth and wake up with blood in my mouth and rinse out until clear and then nothing for the rest of the day. Then be clear for a couple of days, then come back again. One time it seemed a lot of blood. I was really freaking out about it. I was getting phlegm as well with blood, not coughing up, just appeared in my mouth. Had it on and off for weeks. Now been clear for 3 days and keeping fingers crossed. x

Mumzy
29-09-18, 08:17
Hi Carnation

I last went to the dentist in August and there was no mention of bleeding gums, he said all looked well.

What your discribing sounds very similar to me.
It’s very frightening isn’t it?
Have you seen GP?

Carnation
29-09-18, 11:15
Not yet Mumzy because this is my 4th clear day of absolutely no phlegm or blood and dentist said it was my gums. But I am questioning whether it was my nose or even my tongue. :shrug: He said everything looked healthy, but obviously not my nose as not his department.
I got myself some listerene and washed out twice a day and it disappeared after using that.
Warning tmi, Honestly Mumzy, I thought I was going to bleed to death! And because the blood was mainly in my mouth in the morning, I assumed it was coming from one of my organs, so I slept sitting up for a couple of nights.
Try propping up your pillows to see if makes a difference. x

Mumzy
29-09-18, 18:37
I wish it was my gums rather than the not knowing, it’s doing my head right in!

I will try propping my pillow up from tonight :)

Glad your bleeding seems to of stopped :)

Anxiousamyj
30-09-18, 03:54
My 11 year old daughter gets blood in her phlegm too. It is allergies/ sinus drainage. Some Zyrtec and saline spray gets her back to normal. It is a scary thing to see, but I’ll bet it’s just something like sinus drainage combined with a dry nasal passage or throat.

Mumzy
30-09-18, 08:36
That’s interesting, thank you.
How was it diagnosed as an allergy/sinus problem?
That’s the thing....obv it’s not coming from my chest as the scan was clear so would just like to know where it is coming from!

Carnation
30-09-18, 10:16
Even though my dentist has told me gums, I am more likely to believe it is a sinus issue. A little blood last night and phlegm again this morning. Spent a long time in the garden yesterday with my nose and eyes streaming, then sneezing non-stop for ten minutes!

Mumzy
30-09-18, 15:07
It’s good you can recognise what may well be causing it.
I wish I could put my finger on my issue. No bleeding since Friday for me.
But then it doesn’t really seem to go in a pattern....before Friday it was the Friday before, and before that it didn’t happen for 5 weeks so goodness knows

Anxiousamyj
30-09-18, 22:22
My daughters pediatrician diagnosed hers. She gets it if she’s having allergies, or up to a month after a cold.

Fishmanpa
30-09-18, 22:42
Having followed this thread, I believe the explanations given will be confirmed by 'Dr. ToldYaSo'. I have allergies and many times I've had the same thing. Often, I wake in the middle of the night with dry mouth akin to the Sahara Desert from breathing through my mouth. I take a sip of water and back to sleep I go. The dryness is the cause plain and simple. You may not even notice as you can turn over and have saliva back but the damage has been done and it's pretty common :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Carnation
01-10-18, 00:18
Thanks FMP. :)

Mumzy
04-10-18, 19:23
This has happened again this evening, about an hour ago.
Felt some phlegm in my throat and spat in the sink (sorry tmi) and blood again.
I popped a tissue up both nostril and there was some blood (not lots and wasn’t dripping) from my right nostril.
This is really worrying and frustrating me

Kingdawson
04-10-18, 20:08
This has happened again this evening, about an hour ago.
Felt some phlegm in my throat and spat in the sink (sorry tmi) and blood again.
I popped a tissue up both nostril and there was some blood (not lots and wasn’t dripping) from my right nostril.
This is really worrying and frustrating me

How exactly is it worrying?? It's coming from your nose. I've had exactly the same thing before...it happens.

Mumzy
04-10-18, 20:48
I just don’t understand, if it’s coming from my nose why doesn’t it drip/run out of my nostril? This has been happening on and off now for around 6 months

ErinKC
04-10-18, 21:56
Anywhere in your nasal/sinus passage could be responsible. If it's a delicate/dry section of your sinuses it could be too far back to drip from your nose, and instead goes down your throat as post-nasal drip. Have you considered seeing an ENT? That would be my next stop.

Mumzy
05-10-18, 07:26
Hi thanks, yes I’m currently waiting for an appointment letter from ENT, think they are going to put a microscope up my nose to see if they can see anything

Mumzy
07-10-18, 11:04
So I’ve had a bit of a cold for the past 2-3 days. Yday and today I’ve bought up what I can only describe as rusty coloured like jelly (sorry)!, not lots but what I’d call a blob. Is this concerning??

Carnation
08-10-18, 10:38
Hi Mumzy, I've had that jelly like substance. Had it on and off for years, so don't worry about it being life threatening. Everything you have said on this forum, does seem to point to a sinus issue, but I'm no professional. Have you tried some home remedies in the meantime? Air diffuser, manuka honey? x

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

P. S. The rusty colour sounds like dried blood. As you have been bleeding, that would make sense. x

Mumzy
08-10-18, 12:01
Hi thanks for getting back to me :)
I’ve not tried any home remedies, any tips??
I do have a Dyson hot/cool fan which doubles as a air purifier

How are you doing?

Carnation
08-10-18, 21:09
Thanks for asking Mumzy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have a repercussion, probably like you. Manuka honey is good for sinus infections, that is if you have one. :shrug: x