PDA

View Full Version : Scared of heart failure...

ScaredAsHeck
19-07-18, 01:02
So, my anxiety has been at its worst these past 2 weeks but the scariest symptom I have is the insomnia and lack of sleep. I haven’t gotten 7-8 hours of sleep in about 2 weeks. Maybe 3 or 4. Yesterday was about 4 1/5 hours, the night before maybe 5 hours. Some nights i’d Sleep for 2 or 3 hours, wake up have a mini panic attack, sleep for 2 hours wake up again with a mini panic attack and sleep for another 2 hours.

I’m scared of my sleep deprivation. Anyone else ever have this? Can the heart take this kind of abuse? I mean, I was just getting over my anxiety because I haven’t had a full blown attack in about 3 days but I’m scared because of my lack of good sleep.

I also have to admit, for the past 5 days I’ve been able to go to sleep faster in minutes compared to hours like last week. But now my problem is a cant sleep for long periods of time without waking up.

---------- Post added 19-07-18 at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was 18-07-18 at 23:12 ----------

No one? :/

AMomentofClarity
19-07-18, 01:20
Interesting....a couple of days ago the lack of eating and possible refeeeding symptom was the scariest symptom.

I’ll explain what’s going on here evern though you already know....This is classic health anxiety. First comes the crippling anxiety, then comes the search for an outlet. A couple days ago it was refeeding syndrome, today it’s lack of sleep. You’ll get enough replies to reassure you here, and within 48 hours you’ll be right back with another fear. That’s how this works. Your best bet would be to stop looking for reassurance here and instead spend your time treating your anxiety.

Fishmanpa
19-07-18, 01:23
You’re right. My fears are irrational and silly.

Positive thoughts

ScaredAsHeck
19-07-18, 01:30
Interesting....a couple of days ago the lack of eating and possible refeeeding symptom was the scariest symptom.

I’ll explain what’s going on here evern though you already know....This is classic health anxiety. First comes the crippling anxiety, then comes the search for an outlet. A couple days ago it was refeeding syndrome, today it’s lack of sleep. You’ll get enough replies to reassure you here, and within 48 hours you’ll be right back with another fear. That’s how this works. Your best bet would be to stop looking for reassurance here and instead spend your time treating your anxiety.

Well I truly feel my anxiety has died down a bit, no more full blown panic attacks, I’m eating decently again. I even went to the gym today. What originally started my anxiety to get as bad as it was was my lack of sleep and the constant thoughts of the consequences of sleep deprivation, that kind of spiraled into the mess I was in which lead to my previous posts on here. Now I’m back at square one which was the sleep thing. Have you ever went through something like that? Just poor sleep for days, I’m talking interrupted sleep, insomnia, few hours (3-4) for days.. I just want a good 7-8 hours and I will probably feel much better.

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

Positive thoughts

I read one of your posts (by chance) about how you went through what I pretty much did. Poor sleep, insomnia, constant fast heart & anxiety and how Xanax helped you. I have a bottle of .25mg by my doctor. Debating if I should take one tonight to help knock me out.

Fishmanpa
19-07-18, 02:00
I read one of your posts (by chance) about how you went through what I pretty much did. Poor sleep, insomnia, constant fast heart & anxiety and how Xanax helped you. I have a bottle of .25mg by my doctor. Debating if I should take one tonight to help knock me out.

Yeah... When my wife was in the hospital, I was stressed beyond the limit. I'm not a sufferer but I had several stress related symptoms: Insomnia, twitches, muscle tightness, loss of appetite and a few more. I didn't have a fast heart rate but as anyone would be doing in my circumstance, I was constantly worried about my wife. I nearly lost her.

I called my doctor and asked for a "chill pill". The Xanax really helped. Just be really careful and only use them when you really need it as steady use can lead to addiction. During that time the most I took one was twice a week.

I really think getting real life help or if you have the ambition and drive, self help with the FREE CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) course offered here would be the direction to head. Just pointing you in the right direction here... Hopefully you'll follow the path.

Positive thoughts

Capercrohnj
19-07-18, 02:06
I never get more than 6 hours of sleep a night and I take strong sleeping pills and cannabis. I'm still alive lol.

ScaredAsHeck
19-07-18, 02:56
Yeah... When my wife was in the hospital, I was stressed beyond the limit. I'm not a sufferer but I had several stress related symptoms: Insomnia, twitches, muscle tightness, loss of appetite and a few more. I didn't have a fast heart rate but as anyone would be doing in my circumstance, I was constantly worried about my wife. I nearly lost her.

I called my doctor and asked for a "chill pill". The Xanax really helped. Just be really careful and only use them when you really need it as steady use can lead to addiction. During that time the most I took one was twice a week.

I really think getting real life help or if you have the ambition and drive, self help with the FREE CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) course offered here would be the direction to head. Just pointing you in the right direction here... Hopefully you'll follow the path.

Positive thoughts

I’m very sorry you had to go through something like that and I hope she is doing much much better. Yeah I pretty much have all those symptoms, the fast heartbeat is only around when I think about it too hard, yesterday it was in the 60s and 70s pretty much all day.

I only took Xanax twice, last time was Sunday morning so I think I may take it again tonight. I heard of the addiction stories but I have such a small dosage and I’m not one who is keen on meds for help, unless really needed. I’m seeing a counselor at my church every Tuesday, he’s great but he really wants me to take meds. Some counselors/psychologists are against medication for anxiety though. So it’s like...should I listen or beat this another way. I know googling doesn’t help but you can find some neat tips and tricks for dealing with anxiety on there too.

Sometimes I just feel like it’s me vs the world.

Scass
19-07-18, 08:01
Yes, having a newborn - I barely slept for a year. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScaredAsHeck
20-07-18, 01:08
Debating if I should take melatonin pill. I took a .125mg of Xanax last night, didn’t work lol.

Anyone have success with melatonin?

ScaredAsHeck
17-08-18, 21:37
I think heart anxiety is the absolute worst type of anxiety, nothing comes close. Constantly checking your pulse and multiplying it by either 6, 4 or 3 to see your bpm. Always having an elevated resting heart rate because you’re so focused on it. Being aware of every heartbeat, feeling your pulse in your arms, hands, chest. Feeling every skip, pause or extra beat.

What gives me anxiety is when my heart is beating too fast or skips or feels like a pause. It feels like a never ending worry but I know if I can beat this fear I’ll beat my anxiety for good. Anyone of you guys have any tips for this? I’ve come along way with anxiety but today I got my first panic attack after one week of no attacks. Why? Because my heart was beating fast when I was driving and I paid attention to it way too much and it ended up chilling at 120bpm for a few minutes and subsided.

Also I’ve noticed Im starting to get startled more easily now especially when I’m driving or loud noises, normal for anxiety as well?

ScaredAsHeck
18-08-18, 03:28
I think heart anxiety is the absolute worst type of anxiety, nothing comes close. Constantly checking your pulse and multiplying it by either 6, 4 or 3 to see your bpm. Always having an elevated resting heart rate because you’re so focused on it. Being aware of every heartbeat, feeling your pulse in your arms, hands, chest. Feeling every skip, pause or extra beat.

What gives me anxiety is when my heart is beating too fast or skips or feels like a pause. It feels like a never ending worry but I know if I can beat this fear I’ll beat my anxiety for good. Anyone of you guys have any tips for this? I’ve come along way with anxiety but today I got my first panic attack after one week of no attacks. Why? Because my heart was beating fast when I was driving and I paid attention to it way too much and it ended up chilling at 120bpm for a few minutes and subsided.

Also I’ve noticed Im starting to get startled more easily now especially when I’m driving or loud noises, normal for anxiety as well?

nosrednanagem
18-08-18, 11:43
I wish I could tell you there was a trick to getting over heart anxiety. But it’s my current fear, too! And I get the dizziness with it. It’s horrible!

ankietyjoe
18-08-18, 12:11
Step 1. Stop checking.
Step 2. No really, stop checking.

That's pretty much it.

I used to be able to tell my partner what my heart rate was within about 1-2bpm without even checking it I was SO hyper aware of it every single second of the day.

Now I work out every day and deliberately push it up to 150bpm or more.

The trick is step 1 and step 2.

Stop, checking.

Emls78
18-08-18, 16:24
I could have written this post myself. Right now I’m sat here and I can feel every heart beat in my chest and it feels like there’s a ferret in there wriggling around! I’ve had ecgs, chest X-rays and an echo and been told my heart is healthy but I’m still obsessed. I’d love to also know a way past this. I’m forever checking my pulse and then I panic when it’s slightly raised which makes it faster and we go round in circles!

lofwyr
18-08-18, 16:32
Yeah, you have to stop checking. I was told to check my BP and self monitor by my cardiologist for a real condition, and at first it was a nightmare. I could spike my BP and HR 20% just in anticipation of the test. I have gotten used to it, and actually learned how to really relax and bring it down, but self checking when not told to by the doctor is an absolute no, no and a self-perpetuating cycle of despair.

ScaredAsHeck
18-08-18, 18:07
Wow, so no one else has gone through this huh?

ankietyjoe
18-08-18, 18:56
You made a duplicate thread, where people have responded.

Fishmanpa
18-08-18, 19:17
Step 1. Stop checking.

That's pretty much it.

I used to be able to tell my partner what my heart rate was within about 1-2bpm without even checking it I was SO hyper aware of it every single second of the day.

Stop, checking.

That's really it in a nutshell. The analogy of purposely holding your hand over a flame is fitting here. Self checking and being hyper-focused on your normal bodily functions is akin to holding you hand over the flame. Doing so, you get burned.

Positive thoughts

ScaredAsHeck
18-08-18, 19:27
You made a duplicate thread, where people have responded.

It finally got responses? Sorry

nomorepanic
18-08-18, 19:44
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

ScaredAsHeck
18-08-18, 19:51
I could have written this post myself. Right now I’m sat here and I can feel every heart beat in my chest and it feels like there’s a ferret in there wriggling around! I’ve had ecgs, chest X-rays and an echo and been told my heart is healthy but I’m still obsessed. I’d love to also know a way past this. I’m forever checking my pulse and then I panic when it’s slightly raised which makes it faster and we go round in circles!

Yes! It feels like it’s beating weird or there’s something in there but I know it’s not. 3 weeks ago I had a 24 hr holter moniter, echo and stress test as well as a crap load of EKG’s. Everything came back normal. Yet I still get some nasty panic attacks and my heart is always elevated in the 90s-100s everyday because I focus on my heartbeat too much and wonder if it’s beating properly. You know like, s1-s2..s1,s2. Lol when my mind is off of my anxieties my heart rate is in the 60s, not 70s or 80s but when I’m fully calmed down and laying in bed chilling on my phone is hr is 60-66.

ankietyjoe
18-08-18, 20:05
So you posted twice in your two separate threads complaining of people not responding or sarcastically commenting about how long they took to respond, and then you completely ignore the unanimously agreed on way to 'get over' the thing you've started the thread about in the first place?

Ok, sure. :doh:

ScaredAsHeck
18-08-18, 20:32
Step 1. Stop checking.

That's pretty much it.

Stop, checking.

Wow within 1-2 beats you were able to tell? Now that is some serious skill. Right now I’m able to tell within 5 beats. It sucks because of my heart always being fast and me paying attention to it I’m scared to workout now, pretty silly right? But the fear sucks.

Honestly though not paying attention to it is the best advice. I just wished I never googled stuff because I have seen some pretty stupid stuff that someone with anxiety shouldn’t see.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

So you posted twice in your two separate threads complaining of people not responding or sarcastically commenting about how long they took to respond, and then you completely ignore the unanimously agreed on way to 'get over' the thing you've started the thread about in the first place?

Ok, sure. :doh:

What do you mean? I kept refreshing this page a lot yesterday and never got help so I posted in the heart palpitation section today because I didn’t check this thread in this section today. When you told me this thread got responses I was like “oh wow I should have checked instead of making a new one”.

jray23
18-08-18, 20:49
Though I've certainly worried about a lot of other stuff at times, heart issues have always been at the heart of my health anxiety issues in the past. (see what I did there?). Yes, it does suck. No, it it not easy to get away from but the steps are very clear.

As mentioned by Joe, Step 1, stop checking your pulse. Step 2, stop checking your pulse. Step 3, if you have a Fitbit or whatever, throw it away so that it stops checking your pulse.

Step 4, trust the professional(s) who has already told you that your heart is healthy. They know more about how your heart works than you ever will.

But mostly you must resist the urge to check your pulse. Ask yourself, do you feel better or worse after checking???

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
19-08-18, 15:48
Wow within 1-2 beats you were able to tell? Now that is some serious skill. Right now I’m able to tell within 5 beats. It sucks because of my heart always being fast and me paying attention to it I’m scared to workout now, pretty silly right? But the fear sucks.

Honestly though not paying attention to it is the best advice. I just wished I never googled stuff because I have seen some pretty stupid stuff that someone with anxiety shouldn’t see.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

What do you mean? I kept refreshing this page a lot yesterday and never got help so I posted in the heart palpitation section today because I didn’t check this thread in this section today. When you told me this thread got responses I was like “oh wow I should have checked instead of making a new one”.

My bad

But yes, I could tell within 1-2bpm every time, and even though it was a 'skill', it's a skill that nobody should really develop! :wacko:

Even now I don't pay any attention to my heart rate at all I can still feel my pulse and be within 2-3 bpm of the right amount.

I was also terrified to work out. I avoided everything including stairs, walking, carrying anything or even laughing too hard. I was completely and utterly obsessed with my heart rate every time it went over 77bpm. Why I chose that figure I'll never know. Some days I would check 100 times or more, it became an obsession.

Now I can workout and bring my heart rate up to 150bpm, let it settle, bring it back up again etc etc. I can do that for an hour or so and not worry about it at all. So it can be done, you can recover from heart anxiety. It really is as simple as not checking.

I've noticed that since I started exercising my heart rate has dropped about 15bpm at any time during the day. I wake up, it's about 55-58bpm, that's my true resting heart rate. During the day when I'm seated it's anything between 65-75bpm and when I'm doing stuff I just don't pay attention to it at all.

You can do it :yesyes:

ScaredAsHeck
08-09-18, 21:16
For the past week or so I’ve been paying attention to my heartbeat too much, not the bpm but just how it beats. I’ve given myself a few good panic attacks from checking my heartbeats too much. If I think my heart is beating weird or “off” I’ll have a massive surge of adrenaline and its full on panic attack mode. I can’t even drive properly anymore and I’m kinda afraid to drive now because I’ve had these panic attacks while driving due to obsessing over my heart. Now I’m always thinking my heart is beating weird or too slow. I’ve been checked numerous times, had a normal ekg earlier this week and the week before that.

I’ve had my anxiety come back since july and it’s been a wild wild ride, it’s like I have a new phobia every week. I had a normal stress test, echo and holter moniter back in mid July so from then to now of me developing some weird heart issue is very very slim. So at least I’m still somewhat rational.

I feel like I’m on a spectrum right now, it’s like my body and soul are getting so sick of this anxiety and just wants to get rid of it. But my mind is always trying to find something for me to worry over. I feel like I’m trapped.

Melonpony
09-09-18, 02:34
For the past week or so I’ve been paying attention to my heartbeat too much, not the bpm but just how it beats. I’ve given myself a few good panic attacks from checking my heartbeats too much. If I think my heart is beating weird or “off” I’ll have a massive surge of adrenaline and its full on panic attack mode. I can’t even drive properly anymore and I’m kinda afraid to drive now because I’ve had these panic attacks while driving due to obsessing over my heart. Now I’m always thinking my heart is beating weird or too slow. I’ve been checked numerous times, had a normal ekg earlier this week and the week before that.

I’ve had my anxiety come back since july and it’s been a wild wild ride, it’s like I have a new phobia every week. I had a normal stress test, echo and holter moniter back in mid July so from then to now of me developing some weird heart issue is very very slim. So at least I’m still somewhat rational.

I feel like I’m on a spectrum right now, it’s like my body and soul are getting so sick of this anxiety and just wants to get rid of it. But my mind is always trying to find something for me to worry over. I feel like I’m trapped.Unfortunately, having an anxiety disorder isn't about "getting rid of it" so much as it is learning to tolerate, recognize, and treat it. I learned that the hard way.

I'm the same. New range of symptoms once an old one gets overcome. My current is heart anxiety, too. I had this one three years ago, but was able to move past it. This time, it came back w new symptoms of palpitations.

I feel you. It is a lifelong battle for most of us.

I'm currently finally reading HOPE AND HELP FOR YOUR NERVES by Claire Weeks, after seeing it recommended here for years.

Most of the book isnt applicable, but the parts that are, are extremely helpful. I recommend it. The writing is outdated and archaic in a way (she talks about sedatives and being sedated to get over anxiety...I think shes referring to benzos, but could be applied to SSRI's these days).

You're not dealing w a medical issue, it's a mental health issue. Same as me and a lot of us!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ScaredAsHeck
17-09-18, 00:51
Friday I was on 2 1/2 hours of sleep. Saturday I was 7-8 hours of sleep, today I’m on like 3 or 3 1/2 hours of broken sleep.

I’ve been googling ALL day on sleep deprivation and staying up 24+hrs and I’ve read some scary stories on how 24hrs is enough to do some bad stuff to your heart. I mean, 90% of the research I did i found tons of people who said lack of sleep and sleepless nights are damaging during long term, months to years. A lot of sources claimed a day of not sleeping can’t do anything harmful. But of course I kept googling and googling and I found some post some guy made who said he was up all night on no sleep and he ended up with An SVT and how no sleep can trigger pre existing things.

I’ve been feeling off all day (obviously) and have a headache. Im a being a little dramatic?

LunarCoffee
17-09-18, 01:15
I'm pretty sure most university students are still alive, so you're good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

ScaredAsHeck
17-09-18, 01:30
I'm pretty sure most university students are still alive, so you're good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

True.. I just took a nice shower and took some melatonin. Now I’m just chilling in bed, no stress. Trying not to worry and be rational. It’s 8:30 so around 9 I’m putting the phone away.

I really need to stop googling. On Friday with 2 hrs of sleep I didn’t freakout too bad. Last night I closed my eyes at around 2:20am and woke up at 5 (not sure if I slept), stood up till 8 and slept from 8 to 9:30 and from 9:30 I was in and out of naps till like 10:30. Got up at 11.

Kingdawson
17-09-18, 07:08
Stop googling...people have shite sleep for years and years and are perfectly fine.

NancyW
17-09-18, 12:58
Stop googling...people have shite sleep for years and years and are perfectly fine.

I wish we had a "like" tab!

ScaredAsHeck
17-09-18, 14:56

Well. I knocked out around 10, woke up at 1. Was up till 5ish and woke up at 8.

Kingdawson
17-09-18, 16:15
Well. I knocked out around 10, woke up at 1. Was up till 5ish and woke up at 8.

Yes? And?

People have it far worse so please just relax and enjoy life.

ScaredAsHeck
17-09-18, 17:51
Yes? And?

People have it far worse so please just relax and enjoy life.

I guess you’re right. That’s like 6ish hours of sleep in total. Better than nothing. I just got scared because I read random posts from people that forcing to stay up 24 hours can lead to “bad things”. So I automatically assumed and asked “what if I get what they got?”. And how it strains the heart, yada yada. But these are random comments from random people. Basically my head is just full of “what if?”.

Kingdawson
17-09-18, 18:11
I guess you’re right. That’s like 6ish hours of sleep in total. Better than nothing. I just got scared because I read random posts from people that forcing to stay up 24 hours can lead to “bad things”. So I automatically assumed and asked “what if I get what they got?”. And how it strains the heart, yada yada. But these are random comments from random people. Basically my head is just full of “what if?”.
Stop reading ridiculous stuff like this on the net or you'll never get better and you'll be 'what if'ing' all your life

jray23
17-09-18, 19:47
I’ve been googling ALL day on sleep deprivation

That's a surefire way to make it harder to fall asleep!

Not only would university students automatically be in a high risk category, so would doctors (especially residents) and a host of other professionals.

And soldiers deployed at war as well. You think they get any sleep out in the field? If no sleep for awhile were such a medical disaster, opposing armies would just blast music all night instead of bullets and bombs and mortars. Much cheaper!!

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

What a lack of sleep CAN do, however, is increase anxiety! Because you generally feel like garbage after a night of poor sleep. So do try to relax and zzzz away but don't sweat it if you can't.

QuantumJonny
17-09-18, 19:52
As someone who had been on nightshifts for a good 18months now, I really struggled with sleep to start with, in the week I get about 3-4 hours sleep and at the weekend a solid 6-7. I'm now used to this lack of sleep, worrying about it won't help(I know it sounds like a cliche). In my opinion stress is worse for the body than a lack of sleep

Many thanks
Jonny

ankietyjoe
17-09-18, 20:36
But of course I kept googling and googling and I found some post some guy made who said he was up all night on no sleep and he ended up with An SVT and how no sleep can trigger pre existing things.

It was probably the 2 grams of coke that kept him up all night that did it.

ScaredAsHeck
17-09-18, 20:58
Stop reading ridiculous stuff like this on the net or you'll never get better and you'll be 'what if'ing' all your life

Yeah I’m done googling for the day. I’m just gonna relax now. Today I got a haircut and had a mini panic attack but fought through it.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

That's a surefire way to make it harder to fall asleep!

Not only would university students automatically be in a high risk category, so would doctors (especially residents) and a host of other professionals.

And soldiers deployed at war as well. You think they get any sleep out in the field? If no sleep for awhile were such a medical disaster, opposing armies would just blast music all night instead of bullets and bombs and mortars. Much cheaper!!

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

What a lack of sleep CAN do, however, is increase anxiety! Because you generally feel like garbage after a night of poor sleep. So do try to relax and zzzz away but don't sweat it if you can't.

Yeah you’re abdoluately right. I don’t know why my mind is so weird, I was reading on the dangers of sleep deprivation and there is no hard evidence of anyone being harmed from it alone. Reassuraning. But reading posts from people claiming to have stayed up for 48hrs+ and have irregular heart beats scare me and fuel the anxiety. I’m already on not so good sleep and now I’m having anxiety throughout the day.

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

As someone who had been on nightshifts for a good 18months now, I really struggled with sleep to start with, in the week I get about 3-4 hours sleep and at the weekend a solid 6-7. I'm now used to this lack of sleep, worrying about it won't help(I know it sounds like a cliche). In my opinion stress is worse for the body than a lack of sleep

Many thanks
Jonny

Absolutely right. Need to stay off google and think positively.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

It was probably the 2 grams of coke that kept him up all night that did it.

Lol yup. Plus caffeine surely cant help either. Have you ever had issues with sleep before like this?

It’s honestly my anxiety that’s making this worse. My sleep was fine until Friday. Don’t know what happened, I just somehow lost control. I was suffering from poor sleep for about 3 weeks 2 months ago and beat it. Don’t know what happened this time.

And it’s not like I stood up for 24+ hours, I’m getting sleep. Like I said, last night was about 6ish even though it was two 3 hour periods. That’s still something, that’s 4 rem stages.

Drisque
18-09-18, 02:19
I've been experiencing some insomnia myself. I just can't relax my mind to fall asleep, or if I do manage to, I'll wake up soon after with an overactive mind again. It's very frustrating, but I think the anxiety caused by the lack of sleep just adds more fuel to the fire.

ErinKC
18-09-18, 03:28
If lack of sleep is killing us, not a single new mom would make it! ... though at times I thought I might die of exhaustion.

ankietyjoe
18-09-18, 08:44
Lol yup. Plus caffeine surely cant help either. Have you ever had issues with sleep before like this?

It’s honestly my anxiety that’s making this worse. My sleep was fine until Friday. Don’t know what happened, I just somehow lost control. I was suffering from poor sleep for about 3 weeks 2 months ago and beat it. Don’t know what happened this time.

And it’s not like I stood up for 24+ hours, I’m getting sleep. Like I said, last night was about 6ish even though it was two 3 hour periods. That’s still something, that’s 4 rem stages.

I've not slept well for about 10 years. Most nights it's 5-7 hours broken sleep, a lot of the time it's 3-5 hours broken sleep. It's my biggest hangover from historical stress/anxiety.

It's not going to cause you any immediate health issues though, but it would if you slept less than say 5 hours a night for a few weeks (which has happened to me).

The way to deal with it is well documented though. Sleep habits, clean sleep habits. And don't worry about how well you're going to sleep when you go to bed. It will be what it will be.

Kingdawson
18-09-18, 11:35
I've not slept well for about 10 years. Most nights it's 5-7 hours broken sleep, a lot of the time it's 3-5 hours broken sleep. It's my biggest hangover from historical stress/anxiety.

It's not going to cause you any immediate health issues though, but it would if you slept less than say 5 hours a night for a few weeks (which has happened to me).

The way to deal with it is well documented though. Sleep habits, clean sleep habits. And don't worry about how well you're going to sleep when you go to bed. It will be what it will be.

Absolutely false.

There are many people that have had that amount of sleep for years and they have experienced no health issues. We are all different....some people need 8 hours sleep and others don't need anywhere close to that.

The important part of sleep for cognitive/health issues is REM sleep. Our bodies are so amazing that when we are suffering from long bouts of insomnia for whatever reason we end up going into the REM stage quicker which sort of heals us. That's why we tend to dream faster.

ankietyjoe
18-09-18, 11:53
Absolutely false.

There are many people that have had that amount of sleep for years and they have experienced no health issues. We are all different....some people need 8 hours sleep and others don't need anywhere close to that.

The important part of sleep for cognitive/health issues is REM sleep. Our bodies are so amazing that when we are suffering from long bouts of insomnia for whatever reason we end up going into the REM stage quicker which sort of heals us. That's why we tend to dream faster.

You cannot possibly make that claim accurately. Sleep is a fundamental part of health. I'm not suggesting that if you don't get good sleep for a couple of weeks you're going to die of cancer, but even a few days with less sleep than you need significantly reduces the effect of your immune system. This is simple medical fact.

The fact that some people seem to function quite well on 5 hours doesn't mean that most people don't. And how is the metric being measured that those people that function on 5 hours aren't saving up serious health problems for later, both physical and mental?

Kingdawson
18-09-18, 12:25
You cannot possibly make that claim accurately. Sleep is a fundamental part of health. I'm not suggesting that if you don't get good sleep for a couple of weeks you're going to die of cancer, but even a few days with less sleep than you need significantly reduces the effect of your immune system. This is simple medical fact.

The fact that some people seem to function quite well on 5 hours doesn't mean that most people don't. And how is the metric being measured that those people that function on 5 hours aren't saving up serious health problems for later, both physical and mental?

I do not agree and I have had medical proffesionals telling me otherwise.

Where have you got this 5 hours number from? Actually let's leave it as it will just play on the minds of people with HA lol

ankietyjoe
18-09-18, 12:44
I do not agree and I have had medical proffesionals telling me otherwise.

Where have you got this 5 hours number from? Actually let's leave it as it will just play on the minds of people with HA lol

Good idea :shades:

5 hours was just an arbitrary number for examples.

ScaredAsHeck
18-09-18, 15:06

Well. Last night I knocked out somewhere around 10pm, woke up around 11, slept again woke up some time after 12. Was up till about 1:30 and that’s when I stopped checking the time and switched rooms, I don’t know how much sleep I got but all I remember was that I was dreaming a lot and had like 5-6 different dreams and I woke up about 2 times during that period. I remember going to that room and tossed for like 20-30 minutes and slept, woke up from a nightmare with palps and talked myself down from worrying and slept again, kept having different dreams then I woke up and it was already bright outside. I Could have woke up again but I have no memory.

If I had to guess I maybe had 6-7 hours of sleep in total, maybe more or maybe less. Not 100% sure but definitely more than 5 hours, with all those dreams.

I feel kind of hazy but I guess it could be my anxiety and the fact that I had bad sleep the past 2 days.

ScaredAsHeck
20-09-18, 16:56
Long story short. I’ve had on and off severe anxiety since July and was doing okayish till Friday where I was on 2 hours of sleep, that night I had 7-8 hours of sleep but after that till now I’ve had anywhere from 2-7 hours of broken sleep.

I’m obsessed with thoughts of having sleep deprivation and I’ve been googling nonstop(like an idiot) about if it could harm you in anyway and read some horror stories. Since yesterday my heart felt really weird like “thumpy” or laggy. I went to urgent care, told the doctor my concerns and had an EKG all came back normal and I was reassured. That night my heart literally paused for like 2 seconds and I started panicking a little bit, then that same night I had a nightmare about being in a thunderstorm and kept jumping and woke up with anxiety. Now I’m scared I damaged my heart. I’m not sure if my heart is beating normal and it’s just my anxiety messing with me.

Like my heart will beat like this: s1,s2..s1,s2..s1..s2,..s1,s2..

Like I’ll feel a weird thump more frequently but I’m not sure if it’s a legit problem or if it’s my anxiety.

Dom16306
20-09-18, 18:38
It sounds like a skipped beat to me. I have these all the time with anxiety. My heart rate is all over the place skip fast slower really fast. But it's all been checked and is healthy. Amazing what stress can do

nomorepanic
20-09-18, 18:44
Have a read of this:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/palpitations

ScaredAsHeck
20-09-18, 23:07
Have a read of this:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/palpitations

Great read. But im thinking what if I’m feeling them because of bad sleep? I slept pretty good last night.

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 17:09
Thursday I was on 4-5 hours of sleep. Last night I barley got any sleep, maybe an hour or two. Now I’m scared I’m extremely sleep deprived and may develop heart failure due to exhaustion or something. I’m laying down in bed and can’t sleep at all, my mind won’t let me and my heart is pounding away.

The reason why I’m freaking out over heart failure is because I read some stupid stuff online like how gamers who stood up 2-3 days in a row died of that stuff. Now I’m freaking out and scared.

nomorepanic
28-09-18, 17:13
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

nomorepanic
28-09-18, 17:14
That is not possible in your case.

I never sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night and that is broken sleep.

2-3 days is not a few hours and that would not be what killed them - there would be an underlying cause.

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 17:25
That is not possible in your case.

I never sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night and that is broken sleep.

2-3 days is not a few hours and that would not be what killed them - there would be an underlying cause.

True. I’m trying to be rational here. I’m just worried because yesterday I was a bit anxious that I had 4-5 hours of sleep and last night I got into bed around 11:40 and couldn’t sleep till about 7am till close to 9. Now it’s 12pm and I’m laying down trying to sleep but nothing. I’m just worried if my heart can take this abuse. I read some random stupid posts about how it can only take 24 hrs of no sleep to harm you or how it can trigger cardiac stuff. My mind is just....a mess.

nomorepanic
28-09-18, 18:10
Where are you reading this stuff though? Are they reputable medical sites?

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 18:25
Where are you reading this stuff though? Are they reputable medical sites?

Random YouTube/Reddit/Quora comments on how bad they think sleep deprivation is. One guy said he stood up for 24 hours and it triggered an SVT for him. Another said he stood up for 48 hours and started having irregular heartbeats.

Elen
28-09-18, 18:32
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

nomorepanic
28-09-18, 18:59
Stood up not laying down in bed.

Please stop reading such drivel websites.

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 19:04
Stood up not laying down in bed.

Please stop reading such drivel websites.

I see your point and I will stop googling as of now because it’s doing nothing but harming me mentally. I ate some food and am laying in bed, it’s 2pm. I’m not sure if I should stay up and go to bed early tonight or try to take a nap now. It’s hard to sleep with a racing mind. And I don’t want to be in bed all day long either.

yarodao
28-09-18, 19:41
Hi. As i understand you have trouble sleeping right? How do you feel when you are trying to fall asleep? And what methods have you tried?

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 19:55
Hi. As i understand you have trouble sleeping right? How do you feel when you are trying to fall asleep? And what methods have you tried?

Hey. Yes I’m currently having trouble sleeping. This issue started around July, for 3 weeks I was getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night. Then it evolved into 6 hours of broken sleep. Then I was fine until 2 weeks ago where I had about 2-3 hours of sleep for 3 or 4 nights. I was fine again until Wednesday night, had about 4-5 hours of sleep. Then came last night, got in bed at 11:40pm and couldn’t sleep until around 7am, and awoke around 9.

What helps me sleep Is not worrying. It’s my worrying that keeps me from sleeping. It literally feels like I’m inside my own head, if that makes sense.

I’ve tried melatonin, seems to not be as effective anymore, showering before bed and sometimes writing my worries before bed.

But what keeps me up is worrying about my health, worrying if I’ll get sleep tonight, worrying if my heart will be alright, worrying about laying in bed for so long.

ankietyjoe
28-09-18, 20:26
Then choose to stop worrying. Honestly it's not THAT hard. Stop reading websites, and when you catch yourself worrying about it, get up and have a glass of water, do some sit ups, watch some TV, read a book, anything.

The crux of this is CBT. You are the one creating the problems in your mind, and only you can stop them.

You've already identified that to be the case, so continuing the exact same behaviour is very unlikely to help at all.

Meditation helps too, given enough actual practice over a prolonged period of time.

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 20:34
Then choose to stop worrying. Honestly it's not THAT hard. Stop reading websites, and when you catch yourself worrying about it, get up and have a glass of water, do some sit ups, watch some TV, read a book, anything.

The crux of this is CBT. You are the one creating the problems in your mind, and only you can stop them.

You've already identified that to be the case, so continuing the exact same behaviour is very unlikely to help at all.

Meditation helps too, given enough actual practice over a prolonged period of time.

You’re right when you tell me I’m doing this to myself. I was stupidly googling again and read that some Japanese literally will work themselves to death with no sleep. Now I scared myself again comparing my one night of poor sleep to people who chronically work nonstop. I just want to sleep and I’ll shut up lol.

ankietyjoe
28-09-18, 20:49
You’re right when you tell me I’m doing this to myself. I was stupidly googling again and read that some Japanese literally will work themselves to death with no sleep. Now I scared myself again comparing my one night of poor sleep to people who chronically work nonstop. I just want to sleep and I’ll shut up lol.

Don't be hard on yourself, I've done EXACTLY the same as you, as have lots of other people here.

Just choose to stop that behaviour. It's simple, but not easy. You have to practice NOT looking at google. You have to practice NOT focusing on not sleeping and just letting whatever will happen to happen.

Start tonight, you'll be fine.

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 21:14
Don't be hard on yourself, I've done EXACTLY the same as you, as have lots of other people here.

Just choose to stop that behaviour. It's simple, but not easy. You have to practice NOT looking at google. You have to practice NOT focusing on not sleeping and just letting whatever will happen to happen.

Start tonight, you'll be fine.

I’m laying in bed and a little freaked out. Now I think my heart is skipping beats. I’m not sure if it’s in my head or if My lack of sleep last night is affecting me. I want to beat this...

ankietyjoe
28-09-18, 21:53
Might be skipping beats, it's common. Not dangerous at all.

ScaredAsHeck
28-09-18, 21:55
Might be skipping beats, it's common. Not dangerous at all.

Thank you. I tried taking a nap and was in and out for about 30 minutes. Guess I’m just gonna stay up till tonight and try going to bed around 8 or 9.

ScaredAsHeck
30-09-18, 21:19
I’ve had poor sleep the past couple days. Anywhere from 1-4 hours. Last night I had maybe 4-5 hours of poor sleep. Heart was pounding away in bed as always but today I’m scared because I’m noticing what feels like skips a lot more frequently. My heart is always elevated too, always in the 90s-100s. So I’m pretty much sleep deprived and now I’m feeling weird beats. I’m losing hope...my anxiety has been a wild ride since July.

LouiseAndy
30-09-18, 21:36
I only sleep like a max of 2/3 hours every night for the last 3 or so years due to stress trauma after a event in my life. I'm doing just fine. I get the heart pounding and stuff. I try not to dwell on it to much.

ScaredAsHeck
30-09-18, 21:50
I only sleep like a max of 2/3 hours every night for the last 3 or so years due to stress trauma after a event in my life. I'm doing just fine. I get the heart pounding and stuff. I try not to dwell on it to much.

So am I just freaking myself out too much? Is my heart good? reading articles and horror stories don’t help either..������
Do you get skips as well?

nomorepanic
30-09-18, 22:53
Hi

ScaredAsHeck
30-09-18, 23:17
Hi

What do you think?

nomorepanic
30-09-18, 23:23
What do I think of what sorry?

ScaredAsHeck
30-09-18, 23:55
What do I think of what sorry?

Of my situation. Post #70

nomorepanic
30-09-18, 23:57
I already told you my thoughts to be fair

nomorepanic
30-09-18, 23:58
I have had a heart attack and I do not worry about this as much as you do and you probably have a perfectly normal heart.

As I said I don't sleep well at all.

ScaredAsHeck
01-10-18, 00:40
I have had a heart attack and I do not worry about this as much as you do and you probably have a perfectly normal heart.

As I said I don't sleep well at all.

So then how come my heart is skipping? I’m terrified :( I feel so trapped and scared.

ankietyjoe
01-10-18, 09:54
So then how come my heart is skipping? I’m terrified :( I feel so trapped and scared.

It's skipping because you're terrified. It's fast because you're terrified. You're not sleeping because you're terrified.

And what are you terrified of? What exactly is it? It's fearing that you're going to have a heart attack. And this is the vital clue to your situation. YOU are diagnosing yourself with something that isn't actually there. Everybody you have spoken to has told you that your heart is fine, but that's still not enough evidence. You have to sit yourself down and ask yourself how much evidence you'll need before you ACCEPT that you're not about to immediately die.

I have been through exactly the same thing as you, literally all the same symptoms and ideas. Word for word.

The key is letting it go. Make the choice to let the hyper vigilance go. Worrying about it seems to be making it worse, so what do you think the best thing to do is?

axolotl
01-10-18, 11:15
Back when I was going through the start of my main bout of health anxiety, I started to worry about a fast heart rate and what felt like a pause and then a big THUD beat. I got so worried about it my chest started hurting and I convinced myself I was about to die, and that evening spent five hours in A&E, just to be sent home with an appointment for a ECG. This turned up nothing, and even though to me my heartbeat pattern was terrifying it was within normal boundaries and it was all put down to anxiety.

I still get these symptoms but see them as a sign my stress levels are high and I need to slow down.