PDA

View Full Version : How do you differentiate between real pain and thinking it's on your head?

Jarofflies
29-09-18, 16:52
My doctor has already told me I create pain by focusing on specfic problems and that pain I do get I intensify it.

So with stomach cramps and pains I don't know if it's serious or it's in my head.

Is that dumb?

ErinKC
29-09-18, 17:17
Not dumb at all. I think this is the hardest part of health anxiety. It really bothers me, too, because not being able to tell what's real and what's not makes me feel crazy. But, the thing is - it's all real because our minds are so powerful. It's just a matter of whether or not it's a serious medical issue. And, in your case (and most of ours with health anxiety) it's not. People with anxiety become hypersensitive, so the first thing that happens is we feel a sensation more strongly than someone else would. Then, when we focus on it it becomes more and more intense and obvious to us.

You probably have actually stomach cramps, since stomach issues are exceptionally common with anxiety. But, you're making them worse both with your anxiety and by over focusing on them. I've had so many symptoms associated with my anxiety and they always fade away once I've dealt with the anxiety.

Try to do some things that relax you, drink some tea, and find something to distract you and the pains will probably subside.

Sorry you're dealing with this!

vicky23
29-09-18, 17:19
ErinK this is a brilliant response!

ErinKC
29-09-18, 17:23
Thanks, Vicky! <3

Jarofflies
29-09-18, 17:36
Not dumb at all. I think this is the hardest part of health anxiety. It really bothers me, too, because not being able to tell what's real and what's not makes me feel crazy. But, the thing is - it's all real because our minds are so powerful. It's just a matter of whether or not it's a serious medical issue. And, in your case (and most of ours with health anxiety) it's not. People with anxiety become hypersensitive, so the first thing that happens is we feel a sensation more strongly than someone else would. Then, when we focus on it it becomes more and more intense and obvious to us.

You probably have actually stomach cramps, since stomach issues are exceptionally common with anxiety. But, you're making them worse both with your anxiety and by over focusing on them. I've had so many symptoms associated with my anxiety and they always fade away once I've dealt with the anxiety.

Try to do some things that relax you, drink some tea, and find something to distract you and the pains will probably subside.

Sorry you're dealing with this!

Thanks for the reply! :)

And funny you say that cause my nephew is here so I put a video game on with him and I didn't notice anything

Soon as he leaves and I'm not doing anything the cramp comes back

ErinKC
29-09-18, 19:45
Thanks for the reply! :)

And funny you say that cause my nephew is here so I put a video game on with him and I didn't notice anything

Soon as he leaves and I'm not doing anything the cramp comes back

Yes! That's a great way to tell. Anxiety is really sneaky.