PDA

View Full Version : how to accept you’re fine

hellorinny
29-09-18, 17:13
I’ve been through a huge breast cancer scare, and Ive been told I’m fine the past three months. Ive had ultrasounds and a diognostic mammo. No MRI or biopsies. But Ive been seen by about 9 medicial professionals and its the same conclusion. I know, it’s ridiculous. One of them is even my own sister. And i feel horrible that I cant just accept that Im okay without further testing. Does anyone have coping strategies to move on from a scare and just accept that you are a-OK? Ive asked my doctor about daily anti anxiety meds, but he wants to see how I am after more therapy sessions. I want to be stronger than this!

ErinKC
29-09-18, 17:21
It's so hard, especially after a real scare. Therapy helps me a lot, but I'm also about ready to try anxiety medication as well. I think time is also one of the only things to help when you've been through something traumatic. I had emergency surgery years ago. It was before I had health anxiety (or anxiety at all) but I developed anxiety for a period of time after just because of the trauma of it all. Over time I was able to feel confident that my body had healed an I was going to be ok.

ChocolateButton
30-09-18, 17:59
I’ve been through a huge breast cancer scare, and Ive been told I’m fine the past three months. Ive had ultrasounds and a diognostic mammo. No MRI or biopsies. But Ive been seen by about 9 medicial professionals and its the same conclusion. I know, it’s ridiculous. One of them is even my own sister. And i feel horrible that I cant just accept that Im okay without further testing. Does anyone have coping strategies to move on from a scare and just accept that you are a-OK? Ive asked my doctor about daily anti anxiety meds, but he wants to see how I am after more therapy sessions. I want to be stronger than this!

That's great news that you've been told you're fine. :hugs:

I just wanted to reply and to say that I completely understand what your'e going through; I'm currently going through a cancer scare and when I start thinking about "it might be all ok" I then start to think "but how will I know it's ok? what if they've missed something? what if they're wrong?" and it actually scares me to think that even if I get the all-clear I might still always worry.

It's like going through major trauma; and people without Health Anxiety will just tell you "that's great, you're fine, what are you worrying about" but I know, and you know, and heaps of others on this forum know, that it's just not as easy as that.

So hang in there; take time to grieve, hit the walls, scream, shout, whatever, but try to trust in what the doctors have told you. (I know, coming from me, that's perhaps not much, but it's all I'll be able to do, if I do get good news).

Well done for getting through your cancer nightmare. :hugs:

EDIT: As Eric says, what you've been through is traumatic and it's only natural that it will take time to get over it.

hellorinny
02-10-18, 15:54
Thank you all so much for your replies, they truly helped me a lot! I really hope I can get theough this once and for all

ScaredAsHeck
02-10-18, 17:16
This is the mindset I’m trying to adopt. I’m always worried about my heart. Every best that feels odd to me I freak out to the Max.