PDA

View Full Version : Persistent, same spot headache for 4 months

lostlibertine
01-10-18, 15:15
Hi everyone

I'm new here so a little bit of background. I've suffered from intense anxiety about my health for as long as I can remember. This has resulted in quite a few visits to my Dr over the years and some diagnostic tests.

In June of this year I developed some fairly intense headaches which would wake me up and cause serious discomfort. The pain is localised to the top left of my head in line with my ear. The very intense headaches have died down but have I've had a pain in the exact same spot almost constantly ever since. It varies in intensity from a mild irritation to moderate-severe pain. Painkillers haven't made much difference. It's a gnawing pain which rarely goes away.

I've discussed it with my Dr. who is fairly sure I don't have anything biologically wrong with me. As a result of my previous health problems, which generally ended up being unexplained, I think he’s sure it’s psychological. He has thus far refused to refer me for any diagnostic tests. I am a UK resident with no private healthcare so it’s NHS only which requires a GP referral.

As fellow health anxiety sufferers I’m sure you can imagine it’s causing me distress. Is this something anyone has experience before? Was there a resolution? My primary concern is a tumor or aneurysm.

Any advice or comments would be very welcome and I hope that everyone here is having a calm & stress free day :D

axolotl
01-10-18, 15:50
I've discussed it with my Dr. who is fairly sure I don't have anything biologically wrong with me.

Essentially this opinion is worth the opinion of 1,000 people on this forum. They've had a decade's medical training. We haven't. Nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion from another GP, but don't go chasing it past that when they say the same thing. If any red flags popped up you'd be whisked away for tests very quickly.

Although I have faith in them with physical symptoms, the thing GPs aren't very good at, in my experience, is taking you to the next logical step when something is thought to be caused by stress or anxiety. It's as if, sometimes, the diagnosis of "just" anxiety is supposed to be enough to send you on your way, without giving you the help to address the anxiety.

If you're in England you can bypass your GP and contact IAPT to get the ball rolling with anxiety treatment. There may be a very long waiting list, but every day you're on it you're a step closer. Even if you've had treatment before, there's nothing wrong with a "top up".

In regards to your headache, headaches are very rarely anything to worry about, and you obviously aren't waving any red flags to your doctor. They are very common anxiety symptoms. Think about it - I have asthma, and I don't get worried when I have a wheezy chest because I have an explanation for it. You've acknowledged you have anxiety, and therefore don't need to try too hard to explain anxiety symptoms. But I know as well as anyone that anxiety symptoms snowball when they, in themselves, worry you. Health anxiety is a horrible vicious circle like that. Which is why you sometimes need professional help to break your pattern of thinking.

lostlibertine
01-10-18, 16:12
Essentially this opinion is worth the opinion of 1,000 people on this forum. They've had a decade's medical training. We haven't. Nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion from another GP, but don't go chasing it past that when they say the same thing. If any red flags popped up you'd be whisked away for tests very quickly.

Although I have faith in them with physical symptoms, the thing GPs aren't very good at, in my experience, is taking you to the next logical step when something is thought to be caused by stress or anxiety. It's as if, sometimes, the diagnosis of "just" anxiety is supposed to be enough to send you on your way, without giving you the help to address the anxiety.

If you're in England you can bypass your GP and contact IAPT to get the ball rolling with anxiety treatment. There may be a very long waiting list, but every day you're on it you're a step closer. Even if you've had treatment before, there's nothing wrong with a "top up".

In regards to your headache, headaches are very rarely anything to worry about, and you obviously aren't waving any red flags to your doctor. They are very common anxiety symptoms. Think about it - I have asthma, and I don't get worried when I have a wheezy chest because I have an explanation for it. You've acknowledged you have anxiety, and therefore don't need to try too hard to explain anxiety symptoms. But I know as well as anyone that anxiety symptoms snowball when they, in themselves, worry you. Health anxiety is a horrible vicious circle like that. Which is why you sometimes need professional help to break your pattern of thinking.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me axolotl, it's much appreciated. I can acknowledge all of what you've said is true but obviously the duration of the discomfort is worrying. I know the GP is more qualified to interpret my symptoms than me. Like many health anxiety sufferers I often fear that my past has impaired the judgement of the GP but again, that's misplaced.

Thankfully I'm currently undergoing some treatment for a few different mental health issues but I appreciate you letting me know about the self referral service.

Thanks

axolotl
01-10-18, 16:32
I often fear that my past has impaired the judgement of the GP but again, that's misplaced.

Yes, doctors are people of science and know full well that having health anxiety doesn't make you immune to disease. They'll treat everything case by case.

The thing is I could throw logic at you, but I'm sure you know it all already. Like if your headache is caused by tension, it's not going to go away until that tension disappears, and if the headache is causing tension it's a nasty, viscious circle. And that a brain tumour is very unlikely to sit there for several months with no other symptoms but a moderate headache. But your anxiety won't quieten down on this one.

Hopefully your treatments help you feel better and get past this. I'm a health anxiety sufferer myself and I know how it feels to be in the spiral and for it to consume your thinking.

lostlibertine
01-10-18, 17:22
Yes, doctors are people of science and know full well that having health anxiety doesn't make you immune to disease. They'll treat everything case by case.

The thing is I could throw logic at you, but I'm sure you know it all already. Like if your headache is caused by tension, it's not going to go away until that tension disappears, and if the headache is causing tension it's a nasty, viscious circle. And that a brain tumour is very unlikely to sit there for several months with no other symptoms but a moderate headache. But your anxiety won't quieten down on this one.

Hopefully your treatments help you feel better and get past this. I'm a health anxiety sufferer myself and I know how it feels to be in the spiral and for it to consume your thinking.

You're right, especially the point about it remaining the same for months. The spiral is a curse! Hopefully i'll break this one, it's the first for many years.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

lostlibertine
16-11-18, 14:01
Hi all

My headaches did not subside so I finally went for an MRI scan. The scan was completely normal - it's possible to have near on six months of continuous headaches without a sinister cause.

I'm massively relieved but I thought I'd just post as I know it could bring a lot of calm to anyone suffering a similar thing.

Even six months without much of a break from the headache! :yesyes:

RadioGaGa
16-11-18, 20:10
lostlibertine

Self-declared brain tumour expert here.

When a headache associated with a brain tumour starts, within eight weeks other neurological symptoms *will* appear. The vast majority (90%) will develop symptoms MUCH sooner than 8 weeks, or even before the headache starts.

You do NOT have a brain tumour causing this headache.

Good luck

ktdid2000
08-12-18, 18:45
I know this is an old thread, but provided me a lot of reassurance on a bad day.

I’ve had headaches on and off for about 5 weeks now, tension type with pain radiating all over my head. They are moderate in intensity, enough to make you want to curl up in the couch for awhile and just generally be crabby. They had gone away last week but are back with the return of my cycle a few days ago. Maybe it’s hormone related? Heavy ibuprofen will take the edge off at least. They are better at night once my kids are in bed (surprise surprise).

I’m definitely starting to get worried as I’m not a headache person either. I used to get migraines at the end of my cycle each month but I’ve never had persistent headaches that I can remember. I’ve been to the doc and they were not concerned but I’m starting to feel the old HA pull to go back and demand a scan.

It’s comforting to know that almost all headaches are just that, even if they linger on. Thank you for sharing your story!

ktdid2000
17-12-18, 15:43
So I am going to go back to the doc today....almost 2 months now with on and off headaches is driving me nuts!

I've been to the optomotrist to make sure it's not my vision. I've seen the GP once who checked me out and didn't find anything wrong on physical exam. The headaches have not changed in type or intensity other than just being more frequent (they often start after I wake up and continue until I go to bed - or seriously distract myself). I have no other symptoms except feeling anxious and depressed. I'm getting more and more frustrated that these stupid headaches won't go away and it's making me short-tempered with my kids and everyone else. I know it's probably a vicious circle with the tension causing the headache causing more tension, but I don't know how to break it at this point.

Hopefully the doc can offer some reassurance today along with some meds to help break the cycle so I can try to get back to normal. I've had stomach problems last for month before with no other cause than just anxiety, so I'm hoping it's something similar here. :(