PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with hearing loss in one ear? Reasons why?

tan235
03-10-18, 00:45
Hi All,
So I have been experiencing quite loud tinnitus in one ear ... I decided to go and get my ears tested, turns out I have mild hearing loss in that ear. The audiologist said it's unusual to have hearing loss in just one ear so now I have to go get an MRI to find out why. Can you say PANIC!! I'm trying really hard to remain calm but I'm FREAKING OUT. When you google reasons why it comes up with tumour. So I'm trying hard to just be calm. I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has hearing loss in one ear and what your reasons were for it?

Thank you!

ErinKC
03-10-18, 00:59
Could it be TMJ? Just today I was finally diagnosed with this. I've suffered from migraines, ear fullness, pain, pressure, neck pain, etc... for 3 years and FINALLY both my dentist and doctor came up with TMJ. I know it can affect both sides, but my problems are solely on the left side of my head. And, I know from reading about it today that it can cause tinnitus and trouble hearing. So, that could definitely be a totally harmless (but really annoying) reason.

tan235
03-10-18, 01:23
Could be - she could pinpoint where the hearing los was though and it was the cochleae inside the ear..... so unlikely: I’m thinking bengin ( hopefully) tumour!!

utrocket09
03-10-18, 01:39
Hi All,
So I have been experiencing quite loud tinnitus in one ear ... I decided to go and get my ears tested, turns out I have mild hearing loss in that ear. The audiologist said it's unusual to have hearing loss in just one ear so now I have to go get an MRI to find out why. Can you say PANIC!! I'm trying really hard to remain calm but I'm FREAKING OUT. When you google reasons why it comes up with tumour. So I'm trying hard to just be calm. I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has hearing loss in one ear and what your reasons were for it?

Thank you!

It is actually not unusual. I have it myself, mine is a combo of being born with it and exposure to loud noises.

tan235
03-10-18, 02:00
Thanks for answering. Yes it could just be my ears and I was in a band for 7 years but she said it’s unusual for it to be only in one ear... but fingers crossed!

Fishmanpa
03-10-18, 02:37
Thanks for answering. Yes it could just be my ears and I was in a band for 7 years but she said it’s unusual for it to be only in one ear... but fingers crossed!

I toured for 5 years and the lead guitarist was right next to me to my right. I have some hearing loss in my right ear. Hazards of the biz :shades:

Positive thoughts

melfish
03-10-18, 06:20
Is it sensorineural hearing loss or conductive? I had the former in one ear, along with tinnitus, and they worked me up for an acoustic neuroma. Had to have an MRI with and without contrast etc. I never went back for the results, but it was eight years ago, so I guess I am OK?

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

NB: That's the first thing an ENT will check for with that metal prong, to determine with it's sensorineural or just conductive (ie clean your ears)

tan235
03-10-18, 07:15
I don’t know - the metal prong things came back fine, the loss is from my cochlea she said ... so what is that? Agh it’s hard to think that it’s really anything else!

---------- Post added at 06:15 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

Seems Sensorinerual.... ;(

Kingdawson
03-10-18, 12:48
What??? Go to a tinnitus site nd you will see that around 80% experience hearing loss in just 1 ear. How is that unusual?

lofwyr
03-10-18, 14:06
I have had tinnitus in one ear for almost 30 years. Very, very normal.

Mine was machinegun induced.

AMomentofClarity
03-10-18, 16:01
I’ll add to the noise one...I was hunting once and had someone standing to my left shoot with their barrel over my head...my left ear hasn’t been the same since.

tan235
05-10-18, 00:28
My Dr just phoned me - I thought she was going to say - ah don't worry it's fine, but she sounded concerned and told me I need to see an ENT. So now I"m back to freaking out, I'm suppose to be going on holiday today - flying over to Australia and now I"m thinking I've got an acoustic neuroma or something worse! agggghhhhh so unhappy right now.

ErinKC
05-10-18, 01:04
Did she way why you should see the ENT? Was she calling with MRI results? She must have given some indication of why she wants further follow up?

tan235
05-10-18, 01:29
The audiologist report saying I have - left hearing loss and need to go see an ENT to time out bad pathology!

tan235
06-10-18, 07:06
I'm on holiday and my anxiety is through the roof, ringing in my ears is so loud. I did an online test and it said my hearing was perfect in both ears! What gives, how to relax on holiday? just moaning really guys... I'm over the anxiety.