PDA

View Full Version : Had a blistering sunburn on face when I was 14...worried about melanoma

palspals
03-10-18, 09:29
Hi all,

My health anxiety has been quite under control for a while now...the only thing that really bothers me is my eternal melanoma fear as I have SO MANY of the risk factors. All but family history.

Anyway, I got a blistering sunburn on my face in my teens- it was very bad. Now I'm worried that it is almost inevitable that I will get skin cancer on my face...

Anyone get blistering sunburns in their time? How do you cope with the knowledge that it's a risk factor to skin cancer?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

axolotl
03-10-18, 09:59
I think you'd struggle to find anyone who hasn't had a bad sunburn in their time...

lscmich
03-10-18, 11:12
You are me, I’ve done something that i regret heavily which i know have increased my risk of melanoma, the sad thing is once you’ve had knowledge about this you can’t really take it off your mind and it feels like life is doomed as there’s really no escape. BUT just know that there are many people like you, and melanoma just makes up 1% of skin cancer. So maybe put it into perspective, the chances are quite low. I know nothing I say can ease your anxiety, perhaps not now, but try to enjoy life right now as it is! aas cliche as it sounds, I hope I listen to my own advice too but having HA really is a pain in the ass so I feel ya!